COIL a go in Travers

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited August 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Coil worked this morning at the Spa and Bob Baffert reports that he is a go for Travers. Bob stated that he liked the track, that Coil worked the right way and came back full of himself. Also, the scratched eye is not an issue even though Coil worked with a protective blinker on this morning.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    BTW, he went 4f in 46.12 1/32 at the distance. Looks like a solid play, but I'm still looking at the Mott entry, Raison d' tat. His last work is the kind you expect from Mott right before a big win.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    I think Coil is your winner and Im going to put your horse Raison Dtat underneath in tris
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Raison D'Etat seems like a sucker horse. Incredible breeding but only four career starts and raced greenly in his last race. I don't think he is up to this spot and he will get bet because he is sexy on paper.

Coil has run 96 Beyers back to back to back. His top Beyer (106) was at 6 furlongs. I will let him beat me at co-favorite odds.

Stay Thirsty is 6-3-3-0 in NY, 3-0-0-0 outside NY. He has run well over the SAR strip. Hmm. Tough for me to take a stand against this one.

Ruler On Ice never off the board. Came up the rail in his last race and it could set him up for a good run here at a square 6-1.

Rattlesnake Bridge looks like he might enjoy the stretchout. On Belmont Day he closed very nicely and it was a day that speed held well. Third start of his form cycle. He's my bomb.
  • hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited August 2011
    Playing Shackleford as the 3rd favorite. His Daddy Forestry set the course record in the King's Bishop on Travers day many years ago and if father like son..... Im on him.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Shotgun to my nuts, if I had to play a exotic right now I''m playing a key with Coil over Shackelford--Raison d'tat--and Ruler On Ice

By post time on Saturday, I may be putting a shit load on Stay Thirsty. I have no idea how this race will develop because every entrant is in prime form and a true contender! Without question, worthy of the Mid-Summer Derby mantra!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Shackleford won't hit the board this weekend. I'm taking a stand against him in this race, he is over the top and the 1 1/4 will make him falter this time.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Shackleford won't hit the board this weekend. I'm taking a stand against him in this race, he is over the top and the 1 1/4 will make him falter this time.

Couldnt agree more! Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Haskell and now the Travers. I think this race might be a bit to much for this horse
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    I tend to agree Shackleford is up against it, but at the same time the Spa can play kind to speed in routes and he is no quitter. I see him hanging on for a small piece but would not use him on top.

For those interested in Raison d'Etat, you might find the following section of the DRF illuminating:

Though an exceptional-looking colt, Raison d’Etat is still not a finished product in Mott’s eyes.

“You look at him now, he looks like a big old kid. He’s still not a mature horse,” Mott said. “He’s still got a ways to go.”
  • ryanheasliryanheasli Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    Not exactly a glowing review, but there is always a chance that he has a "coming of age moment." I'm headed down to the Travers from Burlington, VT. Can't wait to watch the action.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    ryanheasli wrote: »
    Not exactly a glowing review, but there is always a chance that he has a "coming of age moment." I'm headed down to the Travers from Burlington, VT. Can't wait to watch the action.

Good luck, I hope you've had a chance to study a little.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    fbwinners wrote: »

Stopped like a ROCK!!!!
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    FB actually a great call on Shack. He said enough is