Wednesday play from DiscreetPicks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Del Mar - Race 7

#5 Lookin For Jonesy (3/1 ml)

Huge effort for this state-bred filly in her debut, hoping at the break and brushing against the side of the gate to be off very slow, then settling some 8 lengths behind the leaders before starting top cut noticeably into the margin while still in hand. Came circling widest of all into the lane to give away even more ground before unleashing a powerful late kick down the straightaway to blow right past everyone, getting the final sixteenth in under 6 seconds. Should be double-tough with any kind of clean trip here.

HRT record:

83 for 305 (27%)

$693.40 mutuels ($8.35 avg)

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    i also like jonesy but my main pick in here is 3 starlight magic. rb let her break and gather herself and then started moving up around turn and completely looked loaded...clipped heels and then regathered herself and came up and got 4th....this gal sold for 75k with her sire stands for 2.5k...aggressive move glatt also makes me think shes live today..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Interesting that she's entered here, for sure.
    edited August 2011
    i know that maidens are entered in a lot of little stakes but i think its a aggressive move from glatt..not really what he does a lot..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Just watched the replay. Pretty nasty incident that she recovered from remarkably well, and in fact she even galloped out in front. Don't think she has quite the kick of Lookin For Jonesy, but on the other hand, she didn't have the same opportunity to show it. Certainly will be a price here and is definitely worth a look, for exotics if nothing else.

Btw, note that Bejarano is getting off Roar Baby Roar in order to stay with the maiden. Very interesting, especially considering he's getting off a Hollendorfer to ride for Glatt.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    rayphil wrote: »
    i also like jonesy but my main pick in here is 3 starlight magic. rb let her break and gather herself and then started moving up around turn and completely looked loaded...clipped heels and then regathered herself and came up and got 4th....this gal sold for 75k with her sire stands for 2.5k...aggressive move glatt also makes me think shes live today..

I'm with you on Starlight as well.

fb
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited August 2011
    rayphil wrote: »
    ..this gal sold for 75k with her sire stands for 2.5k....

That's the KLARAVICH business model. I mean, even when you consistently overpay like an idiot,
    there's still someone out there willing to follow you.
    edited August 2011
    well you always have the same old owners doing the same thing...darley, repole, but you have to watchout for the smaller groups that pay higher then average prices..
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited August 2011
    I think the 1 is an overlay in this race. Cutting back and coming out of a stake where she tried to run late in a race that didn't come back.
    Play her to win and over the 3 and 5 in exotics
    edited August 2011
    nice call tmffm...5 just missed 2nd...hope you had a win wager