Monday play from DiscreetPicks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Del Mar - Race 6

#2 Lanida (5/2 ml)

I was extremely impressed by this filly in her debut, and i firmly believe she would've won that day if not for some bonehead decision-making by the rider (in a related matter, note the switch to Talamo today). Here's what i wrote about her after the race in my horses to watch notes:

3yo firster for Puype broke a tad awkwardly and then was immediately wrangled back to last by the rider (Quinonez), dropping some 10 lengths behind the early pace down the backstretch. Despite this, Quinonez remained still in the saddle, refusing to ask for any run until they approached the turn. Once asked, Lanida took off very strongly, looping around the field on the turn while of course giving up even more ground in the process. Leveled off beautifully into stretch and was coming very strongly, reaching out with big, powerful strides down the lane. Just had too much to do to catch the winner, but did end up second after the strong rally. Worth noting here that Puype is very strong with second-time starters, and there's no doubt in my mind that Lanida was much the best here. Figure to improve second time out for Puype (especially with a better ride), and should be very tough to handle next time out.

Here's a replay of the race in question, so you can make up your own mind. Lanida is the #7 horse:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/DMR/2011/8/6/4/race-4

HRT record:

83 for 306 (27%)

$693.40 mutuels ($8.35 avg)

Comments

• 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    That one has to be odds on today? No?
    Love the 46'4 to the 51 since that debut as well.

You see who debuting #4 Written Rule in the 9th has been outworking?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2011
    No, i missed it. Looks like Hustlin Nu?

As for Lanida, i know she'll be kinda short, but i'm hoping that Heidi Maria will pull a decent amount of money. Plus i know that the Shirreffs filly has some good workout reports, so that one will probably take money as well. I'm thinking maybe 8/5 on Lanida?
    edited September 2011
    No, i missed it. Looks like Hustlin Nu?

As for Lanida, i know she'll be kinda short, but i'm hoping that Heidi Maria will pull a decent amount of money. Plus i know that the Shirreffs filly has some good workout reports, so that one will probably take money as well. I'm thinking maybe 8/5 on Lanida?

She breezed right by Self Preservation in that 8/28 gate drill.
    edited September 2011
    Lol, sorry bout that...
    edited September 2011
    Self Preservation is a Cecil horse though, right? I guess they maybe they broke together since they were both gate drills, but aside froim that i'm not sure how relevant it is (regarding pre-work instructions or whatever). You could probably say that Hustlin Nu outworked Self Preservation as well.
    edited September 2011
    Lol, sorry bout that...

LOL, I was just joking with the signature. I didn't even notice the TY thing until recently, and then realized how few I had. I don't think I've thanked anybody yet either.........or know how yet. LOL
    edited September 2011
    Btw, regarding Written Rule/Hustlin Nu, their gate drill on the 28th was heads-up, but Written Rule did outwork Hustlin Nu by two ticks on the 21st (assuming they worked together that day at all).

All in all, definitely worth a look @ 9/2. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Nice winner. For sure P6 single.
  • deadpaintdeadpaint Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    Horse looked great and was in the right spot from the get-go. Although you ARE usually right. Thanks for the info.
    edited September 2011
    Lanida wins @ $4.00
    edited October 2011
    Hustlin Nu is entered in Race 4 @ Santa Anita today. Thought that name sounded familiar...
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    I like TRR in this one.
    edited October 2011
    The Roan Ranger, lol.

TRR ran pretty big, beating out Hustlin Nu for second behbind the big Baffert favorite. Nice call there.
    edited June 2012
    Nice comeback race by Lanida today. Ran second by a neck @ 4/1.
    edited December 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I like TRR in this one.

TRR goes @ Remington Park tonight ML 15-1
    edited December 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    TRR goes @ Remington Park tonight ML 15-1

About as heartbreaking as $50 WP @ 10-1 can be. Looked like the winner at the top of the stretch, and got tagged for second a nose at the wire, finishing third @ 10 or 12-1