A couple things.

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited September 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
1. This article is from Arlington's barn notes:

LONGTIME LOCAL OWNER BRUCE FRAZIER TO BE REMEMBERED MONDAY

Bruce J. Frazier of Park Ridge, Illinois, a longtime horse owner who raced his horses primarily at Arlington Park before dying on Aug. 24 at the age of 72 following a short illness, will be remembered with a race named in his honor on Labor Day Monday at Arlington Park.

The race will also serve as the first career start for a 2-year-old colt trained by Ken McPeek who was partially owned by Frazier. McPeek is presently undergoing the process of having the juvenile’s name changed to Here Comes Frazier in time for the youngster’s Monday career debut.

“He was a real special man who touched a lot of lives,” said McPeek. “I only trained for him for five or six years, but mine was one of those. He was also close friends with (jockey) Pat Valenzuela, who plans to fly in to Chicago to ride the horse on Monday.”

Valenzuela won Sunday’s Grade I Pacific Classic at Del Mar aboard Peter and Mary Hilvers and E. W. and Judy Johnston’s Acclamation. That win came 20 years after Valenzuela first won Del Mar’s signature race aboard Golden Eagle Farm’s Best Pal in 1991.

McPeek flew in to Chicago Tuesday to attend a Memorial Service for Mr. Frazier held in Arlington Heights, but was back at Saratoga Wednesday morning.

“Bruce was around Arlington Park all his life,” said McPeek of the late Mr. Frazier. “I have horses entered in stakes up here at Saratoga on both Saturday and Sunday (in addition to Joseph Engelhart and Magdalena Racing’s Dark Cove in Saturday’s Grade III Washington Park Handicap at Arlington) so I won’t be there at Arlington Saturday, but I plan to be there Monday to saddle this horse in the race named in Bruce’s honor.”

In his youth, Mr. Frazier was a pitcher in the New York Yankees’ minor league system, was a lifelong Yankees fan and never missed a game when his team came to Chicago. He also attended the Kentucky Derby for 24 consecutive years.

Horse won the easiest I've ever seen and paid $8.80. P VAL never made it out to ride, however, he gave this one out to close friends and family as a mortal lock. I don't fall in either category.

2. DEL MAR last race today #5 Up Country has a suspicious look @ 20-1. His last race he was never ridden at all and now drops in class with good works. Brice Blanc has been working this one, and the connections might be up to no good. Worth a look, at least.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Up Country might have had a little early trouble, had a dream trip after. Looked OK @ the top of the stretch (for a fucking 33-1 shot), and settled for 4th. I didn't even watch a replay.