Calvin Borail to move tack this winter

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited November 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Borail is moving his tack I was told this morning to the STREAM, this is a big mistake IMO as Borail is not a weed rider at all and he should of stayed at Oaklawn where there is only dirt racing throughout the meet. I wish him well, but that is a tough jock colony down there and they are all better turf riders than Borail.

fb

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Could not agree more!!!!

Calvin's agent, Jerry Hissom, is the laziest sob you could ever meet. He sits around and waits for trainers to come to him. I would not be a bit surprised if Calvin tries GP for a month or so and then comes back to Oaklawn. Calvin would have had a better 2010 Oaklawn meet if Hissom would have gotten up off his ass and got Calvin more mounts!

My gut feeling is that Calvin and his agent look at GP as being a moneymaker early in Dec & Jan when the top shelf jocks take some time off during the holidays. When they all come back in January, color Calvin GONE!!!
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    stupid decision. will earn much less there bc of the small number of mounts. i wonder if we will get a big name down here this year. terry thompson being leading rider bothers me. in other news... i wont have to include calvin on the back half of every tri anymore. i know i never let him beat me the last few year. lol
    edited November 2011
    Terry Thompson is ok, I guess, but when he is getting played like Pat Day it really makes you shake your head?
    I am sure we will see Luis quinonez, Joe Rocco, Isreal Ocampo, birzer, and the usual others, but it would be nice to see a nyra jock or two come south for the winter and experience the Oaklawn Meet Magic!

What are Freddie's plans? I just assumed that he would migrate back to Tampa, but I read where Ian Wilkes said he was going to go with Calvin. Maybe Wilkes was just talking about GP and Freddie will continue to ride for him at Tampa?

Who knows, maybe Bryan McNeil is the second coming of Pat Day!

BTW, I have 3 good singles today for Aqueduct pick-6, look for post later when the weather is more certain!
    edited November 2011
    King,
    I forgot to bring you up to date on my 2yo colt, Austin Brown.

You know he was really full of himself while at Aiken, so Trainer Ron Stevens put blinkers on him and he got with the program!
    Vanned him down to Palm Meadows Training Center about 6 weeks ago where he entered the TAP system and has since had two 3f works where he was green as hell and just looking around. This baby definitely needs blinkers on to keep him focused on the job at hand, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, hell, Secretriat needed blinkers! However, that is not the way Pletcher trains, as he prefers to train and get first race without and then add blinkers as needed. Look for him to get first start in mid-December at Gulfstream and then come back in mid-January with blinkers-on and then we will see what we have!!!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2011
    It'll be interesting to see him @ Gulfstream. Perhaps the novelty of him being there will result in his horses being overbet, at least during the first week or two of the meet.

As for the reasoning, i would have to think that he's been promised some mounts by a noteworthy trainer or two? Can't imagine why he would just decide to show up out of the blue like that. Must be something behind it.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for the update, John! I'll definitely be keeping tabs on your colt down @ Palm Meadows, particularly with him residing in the Pletcher barn. He likes to work his young horses in company quite a bit. It'll be fun to keep track of who Austin Brown is training with leading up to his debut...