Full-brother to Royal Delta wins impressively

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Not sure if you guys caught this or not, but yesterday Mike Harrington debuted a 2yo full brother to recent BC Ladie's Classic winner Royal Delta, named Empire Way. Came roaring from off the pace in a 6.5-furlong event @ Hollywood Park to win going away. Could well be a top-level Derby contender before it's all said and done...

Harrington isn't exactly know for that type of horse, but next year could be different, because along with Empire Way, he also trains the top 2yo Creative Cause.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    well its more impressive then it looks because he wasnt even being asked in the lane...took a look at other races on the same day and most of the sprints went 22 and change for the opening quarter and they went 23 and change...as far as 7 behind on the turn...
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited November 2011
    When a 1ster runs a smoothly as this horse did in the lane, effortlessly changing leads, and nicely striding out to the wire --- especially when not getting hit at all --- it's impressive.

When it gets a perfect setup, not only in terms of the way the race played out, but also in the amount of ground covered and energy expended, it's significantly less impressive. You have two horses dueling on top; a horse that breaks last, is widest on the backstretch and the turn, and makes a premature move; and the winner, sitting INSIDE and behind all the action, coming out after the fact and running them all down.

Not saying he can't win next time. Maybe he gets another perfect setup or he's a really good horse. I'd just like to see him actually have to run, to be put under pressure at a significant point in the race.

If I were looking to be a sure thing next out, it'd be the runner up of that maiden race.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Harrington said after the race that he wasn't overly confident the horse would win because "he's a two-turn horse", and he thought the race might be too short for him.

FWIW, i went by the Wynn last night to try and get a small Derby bet down on Empire Way, who was listed on the @ 125/1. When i got up to the window, i was quoted 65/1. No thank you. I figured i was really pushing it even at 125/1. Lucky's currently has him @ 100/1 (at least on the sheet), and i'm not even sure if i want it or not. Pretty damn marginal for a 2yo November of the previous year, with one whole sprint start under his belt. 65/1 is a joke at this point, that much i know for sure.