Gulfstream play from DiscreetPicks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Gulfstream - Race 9

#6 Morrow Cove (5/1 ml)

I've been waiting for filly to be entered in a race, and here she is. This first-time starter for Todd Pletcher has turned in a remarkable string of drills during the last several weeks. It started back on Nov 29 when she worked heads-up with her then-unraced barnmate The Last Meow, followed by a heads-up gate drill with that one on Dec 18, then another heads-up drill on Dec. 31. So that's three heads-up drills with The Last Meow, who then came out of those works to destroy a maiden field by 7 1/2 lengths (gate-to-wire in fast time) a week later. That's huge just by itself, but it doesn't end there. In her next workout on Jan. 9, Morrow Cove worked heads-up with Awesome Maria, an older multiple graded-stakes winner who was last seen winning the Grade 1 Ogden Phipps last summer. And then, in her next (and most recent) drill, she worked heads-up with Dan and Sheila, an impressive debut winner for us last month who shipped to Fair Grounds coming out of that drill and ran 4th (beaten 2 lengths) in yesterday's Grade 3 Lecomte Stakes. And for all this, she's being listed @ 5/1 here??? She may not win this thing, but i'll be shocked if she doesn't run well. Haven't seen a firster looking this strong in a very long time.

HRT record:

84 for 314 (27%)

$697.40 mutuels ($8.30 avg)

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Johnny V said that Dan and Sheila was green as grass yesterday in the LeComte Stakes. Spotted the field around 15 lengths before he started to run, then got checked and still ran on late to get 4th place. Considering the trouble, he ran pretty good and any questions about his ability to stretch out were probably answered yesterday. Looks like there is only one horse running against Morrow Cove who has any experience, the Wesley Ward entry, so I just can't imagine we will get anywhere near 5-1. Hope we do!!!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Looks like there is only one horse running against Morrow Cove who has any experience, the Wesley Ward entry

Disagree.

#2 Gossip Line (8/1 ml) starts for a trainer who's hitting 26% with firsters (for a huge flat-bet profit), and is showing a heads-up drill on Jan 3 with Window Boy, who was last seen running second by a neck in an allowance race @ Philly Park a couple of months ago.

#8 Street Fleet (12/1 ml) is coming off a heads-up drill with Red Hot Doll, who was last seen setting a fast early pace in a stakes race @ Tampa last month. Figures to show some speed.

I actually played a couple of small exactas with these two horses underneath Morrow Cove.

Edit: Oops, sorry. I missed the "who has any experience" part.
    edited January 2012
    As for Dan and Sheila, yeah, that was pretty much my viewpoint as well. He didn't break all that well (nowhere nearly as well as he did last time), and somehow ended up getting shuffled back to last. Not exactly what i was expecting. He did put in a sharp late rally though, and i noticed that Velazquez was doing everything in his power to get the horse to the outside (when he could've straightened him out earlier). It seemed like Velazquez was convinced that Dan and Sheila hated being in-and-among horses, and wanted despearately to get him to the far outside and into the clear (as he was in his maiden win, btw). Something to keep in mind for next time; think the post-draw might be very important to him.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    As for Dan and Sheila, yeah, that was pretty much my viewpoint as well. He didn't break all that well (nowhere nearly as well as he did last time), and somehow ended up getting shuffled back to last. Not exactly what i was expecting. He did put in a sharp late rally though, and i noticed that Velazquez was doing everything in his power to get the horse to the outside (when he could've straightened him out earlier). It seemed like Velazquez was convinced that Dan and Sheila hated being in-and-among horses, and wanted despearately to get him to the far outside and into the clear (as he was in his maiden win, btw). Something to keep in mind for next time; think the post-draw might be very important to him.

DC whats his Vegas price to win the Derby?
    edited January 2012
    Impossible to say, since the last Wynn sheet is dated Feb 16. It probably dropped when he was entered in the Lecomte (that's all it takes sometimes). Was formerly 200/1.
    edited January 2012
    Morrow Cove ran second.
    edited February 2012
    Update on Morrow Cove. It appears she remains very highly-regarded by Pletcher, as he sent her out yesterday to work heads-up with El Padrino, in what was that one's final drill before shipping out-of-town to run in next weekend's Risen Star.
    edited February 2012
    Dan And Sheila got back to work yesterday too. They are talking Gotham for him.
    edited February 2012
    Trying to get info out of these barns on injuries is like pulling teeth. Word is that Dan And Sheila came bac k from New Orleans with a hoof problem, slight crack, and missed several works due to healing time required for the hoof. OK and back now, but missed valuable time.
    edited February 2012
    Update on Morrow Cove. It appears she remains very highly-regarded by Pletcher, as he sent her out yesterday to work heads-up with El Padrino, in what was that one's final drill before shipping out-of-town to run in next weekend's Risen Star.

Bumping. El Padrino wins big, shows guts. Zo whatever it is, the filly who defeated Morrow Cove last out, came back to win a N1X in a crushing manner today as well.

Morrow Cove looks to be live as fuck.
    edited February 2012
    Agreed. In fact, Morow Cove worked with another stakes horse today, Maple Forest.
    edited February 2012
    Did you give out that Zo horse too DC? Huge day for you regardless.
    edited February 2012
    I did not, no. I did recommend a The Factor/Sway Away exacta, however (paid $25 for a $2 bet)
    edited March 2012
    Agreed. In fact, Morow Cove worked with another stakes horse today, Maple Forest.

Well the moment is upon us. I hope the Graham Motion horse takes some action. (is that the the one that was workng with TableThreeTen?)
    edited March 2012
    Yes she was.

Her, and also Went The Day Well, who returned to win last weekend.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    I'm bucking you all today with Motions' Onepointhreekarats as she is as good or better than Morrow Cove. This should be an easy exacta. I see all the money pourinig in on Cove.

gl, fb
    edited March 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I This should be an easy exacta.

gl, fb

I hope so. I'm splitting my play 50/50.
    edited March 2012
    Easy call!!!

Super 6/7---6/7---3/4/5---3/4/5
    edited March 2012
    Early pick-3 666?

A couple fun bets before we tee off.

Gulfstream Park 1 $5.00 P3 6 / 6,7 / 6 $10.00
    Gulfstream Park 1 $15.00 DB 3,6,7,8 / 6 $60.00
    Gulfstream Park 1 $10.00 P3 3,6,7,8 / 6 / 6 $40.00
    edited March 2012
    Ummmm. Change of plans? The Motion horse is 26-1.
  • SARATOGATESARATOGATE Member
    edited March 2012
    nice call won for fun
    edited March 2012
    Yeah buddy. Nice work here guys - we waited long enough.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Morrow Cove is back in on Friday at Oaklawn in a stakes race with Borail aboard.