This one will be over looked

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Well we had alot of big boys win some nice races today. We had TAP win with El Padrino and Algorithms that ran by Hansen the 2yo champ. Well I can tell you one to book right now for down the road and he is owned by one of the gentlemen in the game Robert LaPenta. How ironic would it be if he gets his first Derby win with Bullet Bob Baffert. Go watch the replay of the 7th at SA today and watch this first time starter by Lemon Drop Kid (Stirred Up), this is a soon to be stakes winner and just might be the best 3yo in Baffert's Barn. But has the jinx of not starting as a 2yo!!!! I can tell you one thing he won't be 9/2 next time out.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, looked good and got a decent ride too! Can't say the same for my play at GP on the turf runner Woodford Belle. I try to not be critical of jockeys, notwithstanding Joe Talamo of course, but Edgar Prado just is not the same. This fillie was screaming out for room to run and Prado kept her covered up the whole length of the stretch. Look for this one to take some time off and come back at Keeneland and get a jockey change.
    The Tap runners that have been working with my colt didn't run a lick in the slop today and I don't think it bodes well for his chances on Wednesday, but who the hell knows? If El Padrino gets the $$$ to go to CD and the track comes uo off, look out.

Hard to get a feel for the GP surface today, it plays funny when it gets wet fast like that.

Finally got a big hit at OP today on some info from Luis Quinonez. Other than that one I could not have picked winners with tomorrow's newspaper. Yet, some of these are now coming back to run again and it should help in trying to figure out who is who.

Appreciate your info and all the help. Better days ahead!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    question???was big brown the last horse to win the derby going thru the gulfstream preps???I know ice box ran a nice 2nd but what is the overall stats is what I want to know. I also know it depends on the horses and a varies of different things but I think oaklawn doent get enough credit.....opinions?
    edited January 2012
    Ray, here is a quick summary of last 10 years:

2000---Fu Peg came thru Santa Anita on his way to Aqu Wood Win
    2001---Monarchos came thru Fl Derby and then on to the Wood
    2002---War Emblem came thru FG and Ill Derby
    2003---Funny Cide ran in GP Holy Bull, then went to La Derby and on to the Wood
    2004---Smarty Jones---Oaklawn Park $5 mill bonus
    2005---Giacomo was Calif, but Afleet Alex was Oaklawn Park
    2006---Barbaro---GP Holy Bull & Fl Derby
    2007---Street Sense---ran at Tampa then wins Keeneland Blue Grass
    2008---Big Brown---winner at 2 at spa, then allow at GP then Fla Derby
    2009---Mine That Bird---from the fuckin Planet LOVETRON, or some place called Sunland
    2010---Super Saver---Tampa Bay on his way to win Oaklawn ARK DERBY
    2011---Animal Kingdom---one GP turf race then on to Turfway G3 Vinery

Oaklawn has been well represented, and alot of people in the know think it is because the OP and CD surface are very similar.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I saw the horse in the PP's and immediately thought, "Since when does LaPenta send horses to Baffert??"

Haven't seen the race yet, but will definitely check out the replay. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • rhgrahamrhgraham Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    coming like a freight train at the end just not to sure how good the others were in here
    edited January 2012
    fb..he looked pretty good especially after the race when he galloped right past the winner...he is in the right hands...

john..love the description about mine that bird..classic
    edited January 2012
    Ray,
    Glad you enjoyed my Mine That Bird quote. I borrowed that line from old NBA superstar, Darrell Dawkins. If memory serves me correctly, Dawkins was the first NBA player to come right out of high school. They found him in some shithole little town burried deep in the Florida everglades. He was a true MAN-CHILD! In any event, when the TV people would give the starting line-ups, they would show all the players and they would say their names and where they went to college, like Duke, UCLA, etc. Well, when they got to Dawkins, he said his name, followed by " From the planet LOVE-TRON" . Years later, I was in a hot crap game at Ceasars and he was at the table. Great guy and alot of good personality.. But if he put money on the pass line you better be damn brave to get out on the DON'T!!! We had a good roll and made good $$$.... That saying has stuck with me ever since!

BTW, GP just put out ml on my colts race wed and he is ml fav at 5/2. I sure hope there is a big rail bias!!!
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    FB-Stirred Up has the chance to be a MONSTER!! There was a reason why he dropped to 150/1 this last week in the future wagering in Vegas, before turning a hoof in a start.

Galloped out in unreal fashion. He was 8-9 wide on the final turn and showed a nice turn of foot. More ground and giddy up! Word has it Baffert thinks he can win it all with him. Just needs earnings, which will come. His window is closing, but has a legit chance to make it into the starting gate on the first Saturday in May.

I'm not real high on colts lacking the foundation heading into the Derby, but this cotl has as good as a chance as any that have tried prior, which haven't been a lot!

Good luck and good racing!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    You know what's good about this thread, we are all true horsemen and that makes it exciting to be involved in a forum like this one. As I stated in the past this is and will be the only forum I post in, no disrespect to other great forum's that are out there as there are plenty these days.

gl, fb
    edited January 2012
    good luck john..i will be screaming at my tv for you..
  • deadpaintdeadpaint Junior Member
    edited February 2012
    Ray,
    Glad you enjoyed my Mine That Bird quote. I borrowed that line from old NBA superstar, Darrell Dawkins. If memory serves me correctly, Dawkins was the first NBA player to come right out of high school. They found him in some shithole little town burried deep in the Florida everglades. He was a true MAN-CHILD! In any event, when the TV people would give the starting line-ups, they would show all the players and they would say their names and where they went to college, like Duke, UCLA, etc. Well, when they got to Dawkins, he said his name, followed by " From the planet LOVE-TRON" . Years later, I was in a hot crap game at Ceasars and he was at the table. Great guy and alot of good personality.. But if he put money on the pass line you better be damn brave to get out on the DON'T!!! We had a good roll and made good $$$.... That saying has stuck with me ever since!

BTW, GP just put out ml on my colts race wed and he is ml fav at 5/2. I sure hope there is a big rail bias!!!

Dawkins was one of the first straight-to-the-pros guys, but I thought Moses Malone was before him. He committed to Maryland, then changed his mind and went to ABA for a season or two before going to NBA. I think Bill Willoughby might have been before Dawkins or during the same year.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Well we had alot of big boys win some nice races today. We had TAP win with El Padrino and Algorithms that ran by Hansen the 2yo champ. Well I can tell you one to book right now for down the road and he is owned by one of the gentlemen in the game Robert LaPenta. How ironic would it be if he gets his first Derby win with Bullet Bob Baffert. Go watch the replay of the 7th at SA today and watch this first time starter by Lemon Drop Kid (Stirred Up), this is a soon to be stakes winner and just might be the best 3yo in Baffert's Barn. But has the jinx of not starting as a 2yo!!!! I can tell you one thing he won't be 9/2 next time out.

Bobby B has him back in on Saturday in a MSW, he will be odds on. He must be kicking the stall down, he also have given him a work this week as well. If he wins this one, look for straight to a big Triple Crow stake race at SA or another track.

SA

Race 3

Stirred Up

fb