El Padrino

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
No news, just a funny story .I was wondering a few weeks ago , after he won the GP race, what the translation was from Spanish to English?

Keep in mind that I think the hardest thing in the world to do is to learn a second language!

Moreover, every latin country has different meanings for virtually the same word. A couple of years ago I was speaking with Julio, a young man from Salvadore who we have practically adopted and who works for me on the farm, and I referred to him as a Hombre! Which I assumed meant a tough guy, right? Well---a few hours later he was still waiting for me to serve fish Tacos, his favorite, cause he thought I had asked him if he was hungry?

I asked Julio to translate EL PADRINO for me, and he says, I think, that it is a groom or the best man in a wedding. Then, in speaking with the TAP barn, they kept referring to him as " the GODFATHER". Then I see FB's post yesterday where he does likewise, so I get a spanish dictionary, which I keep handy for Julio, and low and behold, it is " THE GODFATHER"

Or it could be a groom or best man? Depends what Latin country the name came from!

Comments

• KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    cool story JG,when i saw the name "EL PADRINO" i was wondering about this horse just because of the name. i was thinking 2myself THE GODFA\THER in spanish where he come from, who is this horse, etc......

Is so cool to see these horses with odd names in english and spanish

i was watching YOUTUBE and heard TOM DURKIN CALLING THE 2002 TEST STAKE with
    You and Carson Hollow wow what a thriller

and saw a Horse call ARRRrrrrrr lol wow very funny and entertaining :yes: hahahahahaah i just lol can't help it ARRrrrr