Oaklawn Park Purse Increase

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Good weather and slots have caused OP to up the purses. Unheard of this day and age, huh!

cheap clm, up another $1,500.00

clm $20k up another $3,000.00

msw & allow ---started the meet at $40k, now $46k

Kentucky just doesn't get it!

Comments

• husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    John----and Neither Does Texas.....all Around Us....but Not Here....
    Wonder Why I Have Only 3 Broodmares To Drop Foal Here In Texas Out Of 27..?
    No Kickbacks.....yeah Right......
  • renee'renee' Junior Member
    edited February 2012
    On Thursday the Kentucky state senate voted down a referrendum which would have allowed the people from Kentucky to vote on the issue of gaming which would have gone into the tracks and raised money to add to the purses. Special interest politics as usual, but the bottom line is that tracks like Ellis and Turfway will soon be nothing more than empty space, and Churchill will not be far behind because all the horses will be gone!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    I had dinner with Ron Geary which is the owner of Ellis park and he basically stated that if KY doesn't vote in for gaming that many small tracks like his would be long gone. But as the conversation went on it seemed to me that gaming will never be passed in the state of KY. It seems they don't want any part of gaming in this state when you can leave the Galt House and cross the river into Cincy and play any type of gaming. Sometimes people dont' want to change with the times, they need to realize that this day and age they need another resource to keep the horse industry alive. The reason Oaklawn is so successful is that Charles Cella (GETS IT) and has never sold out!!!!!!!!!

fb