Union Rags = WOW

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
We just say the derby favorite if he stays sound. What a performance by this colt. Straight as a string down the lane and at 17hands looked agile. His stride is something else. Best looking 3yo I have seen this year. El Padrion was strong yesterday, but this performance today by Union Rags was something else.

fb

Comments

• SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    He dominated. 6-5 turned out to be a gift (I didn't bet).

Let the hype machine begin!
    edited February 2012
    Glad Matz trains him. The guy seems like a total class act.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Hugely impressive performance by Union Rags coming off the bench. Stamps him as the clear Derby favorite going forward. And trainer Matz sure had Barbaro ready on Derby Day a few years ago...
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Have to agree wow very impressive. Im beginning to lean towards Alpha and the thinking is I will get great value come next weeks Pool 2 future wager.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Trakus sectionals from Union Rags in Fountain of Youth: 24.53, 23.46, 24.15, 23.81, 6.44, this is a serious race horse... There isn't another colt out there that can run these type splits. I truly hope this horse stays sound and doesnt' have a hicup over the next 68 days and I truly think we will see something special on May 5th. This was his first race in 4 months from 2yo to 3yo and wasn't even remotely cranked. I just cannot get over this performance and we know he likes Churchill Downs surface.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Trakus sectionals from Union Rags in Fountain of Youth: 24.53, 23.46, 24.15, 23.81, 6.44, this is a serious race horse... There isn't another colt out there that can run these type splits. I truly hope this horse stays sound and doesnt' have a hicup over the next 68 days and I truly think we will see something special on May 5th. This was his first race in 4 months from 2yo to 3yo and wasn't even remotely cranked. I just cannot get over this performance and we know he likes Churchill Downs surface.

I had a $50 Double to the Pletcher horse, and after a half in 48, I started counting my money. Bad choice. Union Rags may have broken Discreet Dancer's heart, too - I would be curious where he comes back.
    edited February 2012
    Just watched the race again. WOW!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    when he coasted up to the lead i said wow....he looked amazing.. I posted a while ago about this year being wide open and with him coming back we may see something special...matz is awesome and a amazing trainer with limited starters with great blood lines...happy for the connections...how big does javier feel at this present time.(suicide watch)
    edited February 2012
    Just heard the early Beyer figure is 99 and that will probably change as they seem to change them over and over these days.
    edited February 2012
    I just watched all his races and he has won over 4 different surfaces and got nosed out at the wire at CH to gallop out past the whole field. He broke his maiden over the Delware quirky surface at 5f and then straight to the Spa over a sloopy surface and beat that field for fun as well. Then got a little break and straight to Big Sandy and won that race very green down the lane. The loses a heartbreaker at CH to Hansen and galloped out like a monster that day. This horse hasn't been babied as he has ran at 5 different tracks and also won over a sloopy surface. I haven't been this excited over a horse in quit sometime (Smarty Jones) this colt is a beast and has shown that in all five of his races. I highly recommend going and watching his races to date. It looks as we will have two white blazes coming down the stretch at CH if they both make it into the gate. They both have one thing in common 5 races at different tracks at this time.

fb
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    his only loss to hansen he had a bad trip 4-5 wide both turns and still almost got there....when he was walking up to the gate i said to myself damn...he is a monster of a horse compared to that field...
  • HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Im in the minority,i wouldnt touch Union Rags in the derby.Something about the 1 1/4 in the derby that tells me Union Rags will cave in the last 1/4 of a mile..just my opinion
    edited February 2012
    You are in agreemetn with many hadicappers I talk too. They think he isn't bred for the 1 1/4 and will get rubber legged down the lane past the 16th pole. We will have to wait and see in the Fl.Derby at 1 1/8 and watch the gallop out that day. TAP might keep El Padrino in fl now since he has lost his supposed top two on yesterday. But he might also skip facing Union Rags and head back to the Big Easy or up to NY for the Wood. I would love to see The Godfarther and Union Rags got head to head down the lane in the Fl. Derby. We just don' get to see the best horses face off against one another in these Preps like several years back.
  • HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    You are in agreemetn with many hadicappers I talk too. They think he isn't bred for the 1 1/4 and will get rubber legged down the lane past the 16th pole. We will have to wait and see in the Fl.Derby at 1 1/8 and watch the gallop out that day. TAP might keep El Padrino in fl now since he has lost his supposed top two on yesterday. But he might also skip facing Union Rags and head back to the Big Easy or up to NY for the Wood. I would love to see The Godfarther and Union Rags got head to head down the lane in the Fl. Derby. We just don' get to see the best horses face off against one another in these Preps like several years back.

Fb,gulfstream bias yesterday was fovoring outside,could it have made his performance better then we think?

BTW when are you going to list your top ten deby contenders?
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Aside from his performance, which was outstanding, call me skeptical with UR's pedigree as well. I'm with FB here, wait until he goes 1 1/8 and his subsequent gallop out, and we may know more. With the Kentucky Derby and the system I use, it places emphasis on horses that can get the 1 1/4. ADW numbers are part of that equation and UR falls short. There are times when colts outrun their pedigree's, but as of now, I'm on a wait and see approach. He is by Dixie Union, more speed than stamina.

This colt may prove me wrong, big time, but I'm still a bit leery, in terms of the 1 1/4. It will be interesting to see how things progress going forward for all of these colts.

Good luck good racing!
    edited February 2012
    The Derby has changed so much in the past 10-15 years. Sure Union Rags looks special, and I don't put too much creedence into the notion that he can't get 10 panels, but it's possible that few people have even heard of the Derby winner at this stage in the game. Just looking back at the end of February in the past few years...

2011 - Animal Kingdom -- was a virtual unknown.

2010 - Super Saver - Perhaps the worst Derby winner of all time, though he was on the map by now.

2009 - Mine That Bird - Heck, few people knew who Mine That Bird was in early May, let alone late February!

2008 - Big Brown - I think he was an impressive allowance winner at this stage, nothing more.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2012
    and we know he likes Churchill Downs surface.

Great point, i had forgotten about that...
    edited February 2012
    I just watched all his races and he has won over 4 different surfaces and got nosed out at the wire at CH to gallop out past the whole field. He broke his maiden over the Delware quirky surface at 5f and then straight to the Spa over a sloopy surface and beat that field for fun as well. Then got a little break and straight to Big Sandy and won that race very green down the lane. The loses a heartbreaker at CH to Hansen and galloped out like a monster that day. This horse hasn't been babied as he has ran at 5 different tracks and also won over a sloopy surface. I haven't been this excited over a horse in quit sometime (Smarty Jones) this colt is a beast and has shown that in all five of his races. I highly recommend going and watching his races to date. It looks as we will have two white blazes coming down the stretch at CH if they both make it into the gate. They both have one thing in common 5 races at different tracks at this time.

fb

Noticed that in a few of his races he drifted out most notably The Breeders Cup Juv. Maybe the left handed whip?
    edited February 2012
    I agree with that, noticed he would shy away from the left hand whip. Yesterday The Frog Man didn't even touch him with it. Just showed it to him a time or two.