Triple Crown Scuttlebut

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I was just told Take Charge Indy is scrathing and running in Fl. Derby and that My Adonis is coming to the big easy for La. Derby with stable mate Pants on Fire for NOLA Handicapp., stay tuned as I will be getting more and more as the days approach.

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Owners/Trainer I guess didn't like the PP for the Tampa Derby so they are going to run Take Charge Indy in the Florida Derby.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2012
    I read something yesterday about American Act possibly scratching from the San Felipe to run in the Sunland Park Derby.
    edited March 2012
    Kind of sucks considering the only 2 horses I have a future wager on Take Charge Indy and Alpha are both going in the Florida Derby.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Golden Ticket to either the Fl. Derby or Blue Grass for more graded earnings.
    edited March 2012
    Gemologist to run in Alw race and not the Rebel Stakes, BUMMER!!!
    edited March 2012
    Castaway not to the Rebel either, probably the Sunland Derby. To big hitters out of the Rebel, watch for a local bomb to win that race this Sat.
    edited March 2012
    Actually, here are the comments from Chuck: "Hi everyone! My name is Chuck Sandford and my wife Maribeth and I are the proud owners of Take Charge Indy. Steve's think article has caused many of you to voice opinions and take action! Great! Horse racing has always been a second guessing sport and all opinions are welcomed! My trainer Patrick Byrne followed my instructions and scratched Take Charge Indy from the Tampa Bay Derby. This decision was made by me after discussing it with Patrick. Patrick has a major say in any decision I may make. But I take full responsibity for the final decision. I feel bad for the the great people at Tampa Bay Down's, that I disappointed them with my decision! I have enjoy reading Steve's artices on the top three year olds leading up to the Derby. I agree with him on his top selections. In regard to his opinion I loved that he wrote it before the race. To me that is a real opinion, not these guys that write article's after the race and try to make themselves sound smart. We can all do that. I have only been racing my horses for the last two years. The press we have received I have found to be fair. Why did I scratch Indy! Everything we do with Indy I hope is in his best interest. New track traveling four hours and drawing the 10 hole on a track he has never been over, was one reason. Alot of the bloggers have talked about his pedigess it is very special in the world of horse racing! AP Indy won Belmont and his mother was undefeated at a mile and a quarter. My colt is a big colt almost 17 hands and still maturing and developing. I only have one of this ability in my barn at the present. When you start talking about the Baffert's and Pletcher's of the world. They have more bullets in there gun than we do! Some of you very astutely mention A.P.Indy's are slow developer's.
    edited March 2012
    He is still growing and maturing. He is not three yet born March 27th. Steve made a commetn all owner's want to go to the Kentucky Derby. Not quite true 99.9% it is not a goal for me. If he proves to me he can run and win the Kentuck Derby he will be their. To the casual fan it takes $50000 to enter and run in the Derby. 150,000 people show up for the Derby and the owners are asked to put up half of the purse. Unbelieveable! My horse is breed to be in the Belmont and god willing that's where you will find him later in year. We certainly didn't expect some of the feedback we are getting. The second reason we changed to the Florida Derby I know my colt can handle a mile and a eight! Last reason is a much smaller field probably 6 or 7 horses and did I mention Grade 1 and a $1,000,000. This guy is a major sire propect with a little running luck. He has run against more of Steve's top prospect's than anyone else! Last point that last race was not a fluke for you believer's he is very live in the Florida Derby. I expect him to improve his Beyer from the allowance race. All we need is a fast track for the Derby he loves the dirt. Isn't horse racing great. 100% of my and Patrick's efforts are looking after
    Indy's best interest. We are fine with any comments! Bring it on! Hope you enjoyed my thoughts."
    ChuckSandford 11 Mar 2012 2:03 PM
    edited March 2012
    Sorry couldn't fit the whole post in 1 reply. This is Take Charge Indy's owner response to a Steve Haskins article. Interesting
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    "A former Wall Street employee, Haskin was entranced by the "Sport of Kings". He gained recognition for his annual coverage of the Kentucky Derby, and he is now the senior editor at The Blood-Horse thoroughbred magazine."

Sounds like a man who should be telling trainers how to train. SMFH. Most of the responses to his original article are him defending the original article with more BS.
    edited March 2012
    I thought Creative Cause looked quite sharp yesterday. Loved the way he galloped out after the finish line, looking as if he might enjoy more ground. Looks like a serious Derby threat right now, as long as he can maintain form (as he has throughout his entire career, btw) and make it to the race in one piece.

PS - The worst he's ever done is miss by a length, and he's been running against top company ever since his maiden win. Impressive young horse.
    edited March 2012
    I thought Creative Cause looked quite sharp yesterday. Loved the way he galloped out after the finish line, looking as if he might enjoy more ground. Looks like a serious Derby threat right now, as long as he can maintain form (as he has throughout his entire career, btw) and make it to the race in one piece.

PS - The worst he's ever done is miss by a length, and he's been running against top company ever since his maiden win. Impressive young horse.

Totally Agree!!!! This is shaping up to be one great Ky Derby if they all can make it in the gate safe and sound.
    edited March 2012
    Fed Biz pulled off trail, just read it. Hind issues.
    edited March 2012
    Looks like Secret Circle and Castaway are both headed for the Rebel:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/67970/baffert-duo-works-in-company-for-rebel-stakes
    edited March 2012
    Just got a text, El Padrino staying in Fl for Fl Derby and Pletcher is sending Discreet Dancer to the La. Derby.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Just got a text, El Padrino staying in Fl for Fl Derby and Pletcher is sending Discreet Dancer to the La. Derby.

Is this a huge vote of confidence for The Godfather, or a Hail Mary for Discreet Dancer?
    edited March 2012
    Take Charge Indy is also a go for the Florida Derby
    edited March 2012
    Baffert considering Bodemeister for the Ark Derby. Why not nothing at Oaklawn as fast as him, he needs the earnings and Creative Cause will be super tough in the SA Derby and Baffert must think Bodemeister is better than Secret Circle. Everyone thinks Optimizer was closing and that was totally wrong, they were stopping like rocks with an internal 26 sec furlong. Bodemeister should run past them like they are standing still. I hope he sends both as Secret Circle will be bet again.
    edited March 2012
    “The chances are very good that we’re coming that way,” McLaughlin said. “Simon Crisford [racing manager for Godolphin Racing] is the one who makes these decisions and we had talked yesterday, back and forth on e-mail, and we agreed that the Fair Grounds is a good spot. We will stay here in Florida and work this last time, make sure all is well for everybody going into the Florida Derby, and then we’ll enter at the Fair Grounds, most likely.”

The connections had been leaning toward Aqueduct’s Wood Memorial (Gr. I) on April 7 and also considered Gulfstream Park’s Florida Derby (Gr. I) on March 31 but both of those races will likely be stacked with several of the moment’s leading Kentucky Derby contenders.

Alpha will work at his Palm Meadows Training Center base on Saturday or Sunday and fly to New Orleans on March 28, the Wednesday prior to the race.

“A two-hour flight from West Palm to New Orleans is almost as easy as vanning from Palm Meadows to Gulfstream,” McLaughlin said. “It’s a million dollars, a Grade II, and we like the timing of it, being five weeks to the [Kentucky] Derby, or one day short of five weeks.”

McLaughlin added that he would have had a tougher time lining up one of his preferred riders for either of the Grade I races but for the Louisiana Derby he was able to secure the services of Julien Leparoux, the 2009 Eclipse Award winner for Outstanding Jockey.
    edited March 2012
    Wow dodging the big boys! Maybe I should just burn my future wager on him
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    GEMOLOGIST
    has had hoof problem since early January. TAP barn took it easy on him because he is from Winstar and TAP wants him to do well! Word from barn is that he is better than fine and looks like he may have shot past El Padrino as far as being the TAP golden boy. He is going to the WOOD and he will be a player at a price of around 5/2. Barn says that the extended time off just allowed him to fill out more and now he is turning that weight into muscle.
    edited March 2012
    El Padrino (The Godfarther)

I'm hearing there might be an issue with him. We will see going forward.
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    FB, I have heard the same...who knows what to make of it this time of the year, but nonetheless, I have heard the same.
    edited March 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Baffert considering Bodemeister for the Ark Derby. Why not nothing at Oaklawn as fast as him, he needs the earnings and Creative Cause will be super tough in the SA Derby and Baffert must think Bodemeister is better than Secret Circle. Everyone thinks Optimizer was closing and that was totally wrong, they were stopping like rocks with an internal 26 sec furlong. Bodemeister should run past them like they are standing still. I hope he sends both as Secret Circle will be bet again.

I think that says a lot about what Baffert thinks of Creative Cause. Bodemeister can use some more earnings for sure, and it looks like Baffert doesn't feel confident about his chances of winning the SA Derby (though second would be good enough, i think).
    edited March 2012
    Your on the same page with me. My partner and I were discussing our derby top 5 today and I stated to him, Baffert must think CC is the real deal wanting to ship Bodemeister to Ark Derby, or he has noticed there isn't anything at Oaklawn that can remotely win the Ky Derby.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    It makes sense on many levels. Why put your two best three year olds in a 750k race when you can ship one to a soft spot for $1m. Plus, he's probably thinking Secret Circle is about to bounce to the moon and so he wants to get that $600k with the bodemeister.

I would bet against Secret Circle running in the Kentucky Derby at this point. Baffert is probably trying to squeeze one more race out of him and then you'll see him next in the 7f Riva Ridge on Belmont Day where he'll be 3-5.
    edited March 2012
    I don't know about all that. Hard to believe that any trainer (especially one like Baffert) would pull a horse off the Derby Trail while he's currently stringing together two-turn stakes wins. Not without some type of injury, anyway. Suspect they'll both run in the Ark Derby, unless Baffert decides to run him in the Blue Grass or Wood.

Btw, i saw a article in the Simulcast Weekly where Davidowitz is making a case against Princess Arabella in the Sunland Oaks (based on her inexperience around two turns). I hope a lot of people feel that way. Can't see her being bettable in that race, but we'll see what happens.
    edited March 2012
    It's sad these days that no one will face each other any more and all look for the soft spots. I wish these trainers would stand up and face one another in these prep races instead of runing in soft spots. This is getting old over the past 4 years.

Hansen likely to run in Blue Grass; Alpha re-routes to Wood Memorial | Daily Racing Form
    edited March 2012
    Weird I read earlier that Alpha was a go for the Wood. Guess I know why now, No Hansen
    edited March 2012
    Oh yeah Hansen will lose to Dullahan in the Bluegrass