Thursday play from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Fair Grounds - Race 9

#4 Run Right At It (9/2 ml)

Been waiting on this one for a few weeks now. I'm sure you remember our big longshot winner from a few weeks ago, Nate's Mineshaft, who won the Mineshaft Handicap by about 5 lengths while paying $29.60 to win. While doing the research for that race, i saw that Nate's Mineshaft had recently worked heads-up with an unraced barnmate named Run Right At It, who coincidentally (or not) was entered that very same day. He was on the also-eligible and didn't draw in however, so i simply began tracking him, knowing that he would be entered back shortly. So here he is, entered in exactly the same type of race he was last time, two turns on grass. Now obviously, it's tough to win going two turns first time out, but seeing that he's been entered in this same kind of race twice in a row, i have to imagine trainer Austin Smith (more on that in a moment) had a good reason. Also remember, he worked heads-up with Nate's Mineshaft, who had no problem winning around two turns vs. stakes company coming out of that same drill. In so far as his other workouts go, there's nothing but bullets littering the page, so that can probably be considered a positive as well (though it probably won't help the price any). Well, speaking of that, there's been a very interesting development over the last few days. As mentioned, this horse (along with Nate's Mineshaft) was being trained by the low-profile trainer Austin Smith, part of the reason we got such a big price in that stakes race a few weeks back. Austin Smith was still listed as the trainer a few days ago when the entries for this race came out. But now, i open the Racing Form and see that he's being trained (and owned) by none other than Louie Roussel, who as you probably know, has long been one of the top trainer @ Fair Grounds. So it appears that Run Right At It has been purchased privately sometime during the last few days. That's a very positive indicator, because it makes it obvious that Run Right At It has been raising some eyebrows on the Fair Grounds backstretch recently. Otherwise, why would Roussel make an effort to purchase (for himself, mind you) an unraced horse, especially one from a relatively obscure barn? That's the good news. The bad news, of course, is that the public is far more likely to bet on a Louis Roussel firster than they would an Austin Smith firster (especially when showing the afore-mentioned bullet workouts). That being said, the public-at-large will have no idea that this horse has just been purchased privately by Roussel, so we do have that going for us. Those on the Fair Grounds backstretch definitely will know, however, so you can expect this horse to attract some money. Not as much as he should though, i'm guessing. If he runs half as well as Nate's Mineshaft did the other day, then this maiden field is likely in trouble. Expecting a good run here.

HRT record:

86 for 318 (27%)

$734.00 mutuels ($8.53 avg)

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    I guessed the right race, wrong horse. Let's get him home.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Race 9 has come off turf---shitload of sct, down to a 6 or 7 horse field. Damn the luck!
    edited March 2012
    1 Montana Kid Scratched
    2 Wilcox Scratched
    5 Encyclical Scratched
    7 Dynabrook Scratched
    10 Dreams Cut Short Scratched
    11 Anchored Back Scratched
    13 Horn Buckle Scratched
    14 Pinecrest Pirate Scratched
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2012
    He's been working on the main track this whole time, so no problem there. Surprised it came off the grass though, the weather looked dry both yesterday and today. Perhaps FB can fill us in.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Tons of rain down south for us over the past 5 days. I'm playing Mister Bernstein in this one as he was ridden poorly last out and now get Rosie. DCat horse is a strong play off just his info alongeand now the purchase from Louie is a strong sign. Boxing the following below.

3-4-6-8

gl, fb
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Rosie jumping off Mr. Bernstein to ride Leggio's #12, Richard Ermina on Mr. B
    edited March 2012
    Rosie jumping off Mr. Bernstein to ride Leggio's #12, Richard Ermina on Mr. B

Yeah. That's written in bold in my form....
    edited March 2012
    Fair Grounds - Race 9

#4 Run Right At It (9/2 ml)

Been waiting on this one for a few weeks now. I'm sure you remember our big longshot winner from a few weeks ago, Nate's Mineshaft, who won the Mineshaft Handicap by about 5 lengths while paying $29.60 to win. While doing the research for that race, i saw that Nate's Mineshaft had recently worked heads-up with an unraced barnmate named Run Right At It, who coincidentally (or not) was entered that very same day. He was on the also-eligible and didn't draw in however, so i simply began tracking him, knowing that he would be entered back shortly. So here he is, entered in exactly the same type of race he was last time, two turns on grass. Now obviously, it's tough to win going two turns first time out, but seeing that he's been entered in this same kind of race twice in a row, i have to imagine trainer Austin Smith (more on that in a moment) had a good reason. Also remember, he worked heads-up with Nate's Mineshaft, who had no problem winning around two turns vs. stakes company coming out of that same drill. In so far as his other workouts go, there's nothing but bullets littering the page, so that can probably be considered a positive as well (though it probably won't help the price any). Well, speaking of that, there's been a very interesting development over the last few days. As mentioned, this horse (along with Nate's Mineshaft) was being trained by the low-profile trainer Austin Smith, part of the reason we got such a big price in that stakes race a few weeks back. Austin Smith was still listed as the trainer a few days ago when the entries for this race came out. But now, i open the Racing Form and see that he's being trained (and owned) by none other than Louie Roussel, who as you probably know, has long been one of the top trainer @ Fair Grounds. So it appears that Run Right At It has been purchased privately sometime during the last few days. That's a very positive indicator, because it makes it obvious that Run Right At It has been raising some eyebrows on the Fair Grounds backstretch recently. Otherwise, why would Roussel make an effort to purchase (for himself, mind you) an unraced horse, especially one from a relatively obscure barn? That's the good news. The bad news, of course, is that the public is far more likely to bet on a Louis Roussel firster than they would an Austin Smith firster (especially when showing the afore-mentioned bullet workouts). That being said, the public-at-large will have no idea that this horse has just been purchased privately by Roussel, so we do have that going for us. Those on the Fair Grounds backstretch definitely will know, however, so you can expect this horse to attract some money. Not as much as he should though, i'm guessing. If he runs half as well as Nate's Mineshaft did the other day, then this maiden field is likely in trouble. Expecting a good run here.

HRT record:

86 for 318 (27%)

$734.00 mutuels ($8.53 avg)

He is back in on Saturday and also had a nice gate 3f brezze in .36, looks well spotted on La. Derby day as the weeds shoudl be on. Also watch out for Parabellum from Amoss as he came out of that race where you all like that Ghostzapper first timers and he is back in this Saturday as well.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Saw he just worked; didn't see he was entered already. Thanks...
  • FloydrturboFloydrturbo Member
    edited March 2012
    Race 5 #4
    edited March 2012
    We get a 12-1 ml on this gelding and I can tell you one thing let's pray for 7/2 as me and my partner are going to pound this one on Sunday. We really thought the ml was going to be 4/1 - 9/2 at best. Buckle up and enjoy the ride Sunday.
  • jenroypajenroypa Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    A Gantry/Run Right at it double?
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Nates mineshaft running on the undercard as well.... can he wire this grade 2 field as well???