Complain much?

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
For owner Rick Porter and trainer Larry Jones, Plan A is to run Horse of the Year Havre de Grace in the $500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I)* April 13. However, the connections have also made one thing clear: They will only do so under*the right*weight conditions.

If Porter and Jones feel as though Oaklawn Park assigns Havre de Grace too much weight in the Apple Blossom, or even the $350,000 Oaklawn Handicap (gr. II) against males April 14, they are prepared to go ahead with Plan B, which could involve running her somewhere else or even waiting for the $400,000 Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr. I) May 28 at Belmont Park. Jones was especially outspoken about the subject March 20.
“The Apple Blossom is still the most likely option, but we’re not going to be stupid about it. We’re not going to be spotting good horses a whole lot of weight,” Jones said. “Last year we felt like we were unfairly dealt with in the Delaware Handicap (carrying 124 pounds). I did not see how a horse who won a grade I in California (Blind Luck, 122 pounds) and a horse that won a grade I in New York (Life At Ten, 117 pounds), how in the world we had to pack more weight than them. It wasn’t right. We’re not going to let that happen again.
“The only reason we did it is because Rick has always wanted to win (the Delaware Handicap) and he accepted the challenge. But he and I have come to terms with that. We’re not going to let that happen to again.
“Look, we know we’re going to have to carry more weight than most horses in the country. We understand that. But I’m also not fixing to give a multiple grade I winner a lot of weight just because we have an Eclipse Award that was done off of votes and doesn’t take into account what happened on the racetrack. I’m not going to spot a lot of weight to a horse that has as many grade Is as we have.
“We could look at the Oaklawn Handicap, but then again, it’s a handicap too. So if we don’t like the weight we’re carrying against the boys we don’t have to run her at all. We always have other options.”

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/68218/jones-weight-must-be-right-for-apple-blossom#ixzz1phyc6w16

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    I've always been amused by this duo. From Jones' Hard Spun jockey rants, to Porter's (alleged) money grabs.

Because they think she is being penalized for her Eclipse award and not her body of work, I decided to see how they felt right after the award:

Last year, she won the Apple Blossom Handicap and the Beldame, two of her three Grade 1 stakes wins.

"She did everything Larry and I asked of her and then some," Porter said, accepting her honor for older female. "She's an owner's dream come true. She's made racing for me and many others so thrilling. She is the best."

Havre de Grace is ridden by Ramon Dominguez, who earned jockey of the year. She's in training at Oaklawn Park in Arkansas in preparation for a 4-year-old campaign.

"She's a racing star and racing needs stars," Jones said, crediting Porter for keeping her on the track and out of the more lucrative breeding shed. "Having insurance on this horse is going to cost him as much as she'll probably win."

Porter said afterward, "She puts fire in my belly every time she races. She's just an amazing force that fits the name harbor of grace."

Jones said he and Porter will target weight-for-age races this year, with the possibility that Havre de Grace will run against males again.

"There's not that many boys we think are better than her right now," Jones said.

Sounds like she should carry a fairly high weight against fillies if she indeed is better than almost ALL of the boys, right Mr. Jones?