Friday the Fairgrounds has a pick 18

TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
The mutual manager must be out of his mind...if you one took 2 horses per race it would be 2 to the 18th power times 10 cents....which if my math is correct from doing it in my head is close to 30K..no way anyone will get all 18...but there is a mandatory payout for the most winners...use a lot of singles and a few multiples...who knows lady luck might shine on someone this board

It's fitting that baseball season has begun because the folks at Fair Grounds have decided to play a doubleheader race card on Friday.

Due to race day cancellations and a Louisiana state law that says all the purse money for the season must be paid out, Fair Grounds will stage an 18-race card on Friday. That's right. Eighteen.

Think of it as a day-night double header -- there's a 1-hour break between races 9 and 10. Ambitious multi-race handicappers will be happy to know that you can play a 10-cent Pick 18. As DRF's Marcus Hersh points out, there are no open allowances on the card. So don't be shy about trying to spread -- but watch out, even at 10 cents a combo the cost can get out of hand pretty fast.

It's likely the winning ticket won't hit all 18 races; there is a mandatory payout in place to whoever gets the most correct.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Trotman wrote: »
    Due to race day cancellations and a Louisiana state law that says all the purse money for the season must be paid out, Fair Grounds will stage an 18-race card on Friday.

I was wondering what the hell was going on.....thanks
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    This is the most hilarious bet in horseracing history. I'm friends with someone in the FG front office, and my sense is that they did this as a publicity stunt. I think it's great. Only a fool would wager on this thing. It will favor the big player to the nth degree. I am curious to see how big the pool ends up being.

My guess is that the winner will get 11 or 12 races correct.
    edited March 2012
    The pool was only a little over $6k.

8 out of 18 might take it down.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    SirBear wrote: »
    This is the most hilarious bet in horseracing history. I'm friends with someone in the FG front office, and my sense is that they did this as a publicity stunt. I think it's great. Only a fool would wager on this thing. It will favor the big player to the nth degree. I am curious to see how big the pool ends up being.

My guess is that the winner will get 11 or 12 races correct.

Who is your contact at the FG? You can email me at fbwinners@aol.com, if you don't want to post in forum.
    edited March 2012
    Check your email, bud.