Arkansas Derby Analysis and Plays

jaanisjaanis Junior Member
edited April 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I am just betting the two favorites will burn each other out here. Secret Circle & Bodemeister are going to put themselves into a huge pace duel. I am throwing both of them out.

2 Stat - I bet the sharps will be all over this horse. Pletcher/Velazquez don’t just show up with AOW winner at the Arkansas Derby for no reason. I will use in exotics.

3 Najjaar - Experience at Oaklawn Park 2 for 3. Calvin won’t wait as long to get him going today. I am shooting for a price today and will use on top.

4 Jake Mo - Don’t know much about jock or trainer, but I am putting in exotics because he is a closer. The horse seems to get itself in trouble and then figures out he is supposed to be racing when it is too late. Might use in 3rd or 4th.

6 Isn’t He Clever - I have never been high on the Sunland Derby horses, but this horse has some nice back class and Sire/Dam combo is tits. Expect the horse to rate off the early pace. I don’t like seeing "Outfinished" so much in trackman comments, but will use for 2-3.

7 Optimizer - Jon Court is the perfect jockey for this closing type of horse. Finishing 3/4 behind Secret Circle is not easy task. Using for ex boxes with the #3.

9 Sabercat - Nakatani has been killing it at Oaklawn thus far. My problem is why this combo failed so badly in the Rebel a few weeks back.

I don’t feel the rest of the horses have a chance. So the bets are:

WPS: #3
Ex Box: 3-7

Tri Wheels:

3/2-6-7/2-4-6-7-9

Just in case the favs run well:

5-11/2-3-4-6-7-9/2-3-4-6-7-9

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2012
    jaanis wrote: »
    I am just betting the two favorites will burn each other out here. Secret Circle & Bodemeister are going to put themselves into a huge pace duel. I am throwing both of them out.

Could definitely happen, but also worth noting that both horses are trained by the same guy (and Bodemeister desperately needs graded earnings in order to make the Derby), so i would imagine they'll try to avoid compromising each other's chances.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out on the track. I suspect Bodemeister will go to the lead, and Secret Circle will take back just a bit.
  • drbillymdrbillym Junior Member
    edited April 2012
    Actigun wins if there is a pace duel and meltdown.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    JG knows where I'm at. Whoring it up with Baffert. I'm not making a bet though.