Mike B sets the ml favorite in

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Bodemeister at 4/1 and second choice in Union Rags at 9/2 depending on post draw.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I love how the Racing Form tells the public (and Battaglia) who the favorites will be. I've herad then say several times over the past week that "Bodemeister and Union Rags will vie for favoritism". Then we get this announcement.

Bodemeister i can see, trained by Baffert and coming off the huge win in the Arkansas Derby. But how do they determine that Union Rags will "vie for favoritism"? Why couldn't it be Gemologist? Or Creative Cause? Or I'll Have Another? How do they know? Well, probably because they TELL the public who the favorites are, and the public (plus Battaglia) follows accordingly. True that Union Rags was considered the big horse going into the Florida Derby, but he was well-beaten there, and the public isn't usually so forgiving in such matters.

Not saying i disagree that Union Rags should be among the favorites, but that's "among the favorites". Almost seems like they have an agenda for some reason. Anyone else agree, or is it just in my head?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    agree
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I guess I don't see it, DC, so this is one of those rare times where I must disagree with you if you believe the public's wagering is somehow led by the ML.

I believe Union Rags will be favored when the gates open because the public is willing to excuse his Florida Derby defeat and he is regarded as the most likely winner. I think there is some skepticism about the pace set-up for Bodemeister and I could see him drifting to 6 or 7-1, while UR is likely your 5-1 favorite when the gates open.
    edited May 2012
    Regarding Bodemeister, unfortunate for him that he drew inside Trinniberg. That being said, he did a heckuva nice job letting American Act go and then coming up on his outside in a similar situation in the San Felipe.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I missed the draw, but someone told me Daddy Knows Best was 50-1. What do they want, another Mine That Bird?????
    edited May 2012
    Never mind, I just saw it at 15-1.
    edited May 2012
    Supposedly Daddy Nose Best has been training quite well.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I'm going with Dullahan, Creative Cause, Union Rags, and Bode. Fading Gemologist, I'll Have Another, and several others. Willing to consider both Daddy's, Liaison, and Hansen underneath. I guess I'm not really saying much.
    edited May 2012
    ASSMAN----nuff said!
  • okjac12okjac12 Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Let the horse's performances speak for the horse, bet the odds that you like, the M/L is just a guideline not carved in stone!!!