Early Derby Picks

wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I will post complete DERBY CARD on SATURDAY...but...right now I am liking...DADDY KNOWS BEST...UNION RAGS...BODEMEISTER...10/4/6 exotic wagers...w2w

Comments

• SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I think Union Rags should hit the board. Bode for me is a bet-against because I think he's going to have major difficulties dealing with Hanson, who is a tenacious front-end horse who will not quit without a major fight. Expect those two to really go at it between the 1/2 mile pole and the 3/16ths pole. Both will be empty in the lane, though one can hang on for a piece.

I think a longshot can win the whole thing and I will use several of them in the 1-hole, including Daddy Nose Best, Rousing Sermon, Went The Day Well and perhaps Done Talking. I also think I have to use Gemologist on top. He could explode on Saturday.

Good luck everyone.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    wow Derby weekend is upon us MMM:yes:
    well i'm going to post my early picks but i'll post the whole card 2moro nite.

of course i'm picking the Ultimate #15 Gemologist ML 6/1 he's 2 for 2 @Churchill Downs plus he's coming into the derby with a flawless record. i see he's not getting to much talk but i like that .

silent but deadly......

i'm so sure i'm picking him to WP and a few exotics
    after further review these are the Horses i'm playing with.

15 Gemologist ML6/1
    6 Bodemeister ML 4/1
    14 Hansen ML 10/1
    3 Take Charge Indy ML 15/1
    5 Dullahan ML 8/1
    4 Union Rags ML 9/2

10$.
    WP.# 15 Gemologist ($20.in play)

3$ ex.Key ($15. in play)
    15/6,14,3,5,4

1$ tri-box ($24. in play)

15 Gemologist
    6 Bodemeister
    14 Hansen
    3 Take Charge Indy

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    FB was right on when he pointed out that the Assman is giddy as hell over Daddy.
    Was talking to Robert McNair's horse man, John Adger, and he told me that Steve Assman is going to be a force in the Derby.
    In the Oaks, Adger said Bret Calhoun has #3, Summer Applause, who has been hung wide in her last few races and finished up very good. Added distance will help, gets Go Go in the saddle, and super works over CD surface leading up to the Oaks.
    I have modified my Oaks super to 1/2/3--1/2/3--6/10/13--6/10/13
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Wheeling the #11Karlovy Vary in the Oaks with the field in the derby for the Oaks/Derby Double. Good Luck!!!!!!
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    here is my order. will be mixing up in the exotics which ill post after

14) Hansen
    8) Creative Cause
    15) Gemologist
    5) Dullahan
    10) Daddy Nose Best
    13 went the day well
    19) I’ll Have Another
    16) El Padrino
  • IH8PATDAYIH8PATDAY Member
    edited May 2012
    Have not yet decided who I will put on top yet but it will either be

4) Union Rags or 15) Gemologist, just based on the post position draw I'm leaning toward Gemologist, the pills didn't do Rags any favors but I think he is the best horse and I am not quite sold with Leparoux being able to get the job done in this spot. He is a tremendous turf jock and handles the closers perfectly but this is a stalk and pounce horse and his ride in Fla was horrendous.

then I have 8) Creative Cause and 3) Take Charge Indy, don't really like the horse that much but I refuse to let Borail beat me for the fourth time in 6 years so he's going on my ticket.

probably play some bombs also in the 3rd and 4th spot. 13)Went the Day Well, 19) I'll Have Another

Also going heavy on the Oaks/Derby double which I have had alot of success with the last few years.

Oaks 1-3-4-6 w/ Derby 4-8-15

Good Luck to All!
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    With FB's last posts i am adding alpha on and dropping el padrino
    14) Hansen
    8) Creative Cause
    15) Gemologist
    5) Dullahan
    ~~Alpha~~
    10) Daddy Nose Best
    13 went the day well
    19) I’ll Have Another
    16) El Padrino ~~taking off card
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I had: Union Rags, Hansen, Bodemeister

However, the more I think about it, the more I like Dullahan. Will all the speed in this race, I think it will be run extremely fast. I think Dullahan is a better closer than Union Rags, so I'm changing my picks to:

Dullahan, Union Rags, Hansen