Thoughts on Union Rags

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Someone asked me for my thoughts on Union Rags, so here they are. Feel free to chime in with your own; interested to hear what everyones' take on him is...

Thought he was an extremely impressive animal coming off his huge comneback win @ Gulfstream in a race that he clearly wasn't cranked up for coming off the shelf, but he really disappointed in the Florida Derby, and i'm not sure what to make of that. Didn't have the best of trips that day, caught back behind some traffic, but was able to find running room in the stretch and did not respond with the kind of move that you would've expected. Wouldn't have had as big a problem with it had the same performance happened in the comeback race, but i was definitely expecting him to move forward in his final prep before the Derby, rather than regress. He did have a bit of an excuse, as mentioned, but keep in mind that he's now drawn into the 4-hole, and may be subject to the same type of trip (or worse) that he got last time. Has reportedly bounced out of the race very well, and we aknow that he likes the Churchill surface based on his strong effort in the BC Juvenile last year, and of course his trainer Michael Matz was able to get a tremendous performance out of Barbaro in this race a few years back. But, based on the misgivings mentioned above, i don't think he should be backed at near-favoritism, which apparently will be the case here. Would be absolutely no surprise to see him in the winner's circle though. If he shows up with his top effort, he could be very tough.

Comments

• Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    This was chef-de-race opinion which i strongly agree with and therefore am looking elsewhere

UNION RAGS: He was the co-highweight with champion Hansen on the 2011 Experiental Free Handicap but hasn't shown much development at three. Coupled with the fact that his sire, Dixie Union, has never gotten a major stakes winner beyond nine furlongs on any surface from hundreds of foals ththere could be major questions about his suitability to the Derby distance. Still, his back class is exceptional, he likes the Churchill Downs surface and if the weather is bad he will like an off track. One can not arbitrarily dismiss a Dual Qualifier with such extraordinary credentials, but he may not fit the ideal prototype of a Derby winner.