Future Kentucky Derby Road Trip Question

shh10shh10 Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Just been mulling this today and thought I'd throw it out there.

For those of you who went to the Derby this year - and those who have previously gone - what advice would you give to someone who is looking to make their first trip?

1. Where do you recommend you stay (location and/or hotel)?

2. Can you drive to / park on the grounds at CD or do they offer shuttles from outlying areas that are a better bet as far as convenience and avoiding traffic?

3. Recommend/Don't Recommend taking kids?

4. Where to get tickets from (e.g. kentuckyderby.com)?

5. Things to do / Places to avoid?

6. Things to do / Places to visit that most people don't know about?

7. Are package deals worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I'm too tired to go into all q's, but I will respond later when I've had a chance to mull over all q's.

Quick answer----NO CHILDREN!!!

Alot of people I know are staying in Lexington and riding buses over to Louisville. Packages are available through Tauk Tours, probably mispelled, but a good deal. Tours of Winstar, Three Chimneys, Ashford Stud(Coolmore), and others.

I'm too old to go on Saturday anymore, go on friday for Oaks and then go to Keeneland on Saturday for a picnic atmosphere and a great time without the crowd. If you go on Saturday, have tickets paid for in advance and somewhere in the 3rd floor or above so you can get off the slab, maybe the Matt Winn Room or somewhere in the executive areas, otherwise, you won't be able to see shit! Corporate tents and television crap on the infield prevent you from seeing anything on the backstretch unless you watch the big screen, and it is hard to see also. I'm told that CD had 112k on friday and 160k on Saturday. Friday was crowded, can't imagine what it was like Saturday? When the storm came through Friday and everybody came inside, you could not move. Probably that way all day Saturday!