Calumet Farm sold

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
This was announced last week when I was in Lexington.

As most of you know, when approaching Keeneland from Versailles Road, you drive right through the famed Calumet Farm. After the owners died and the children bankrupted the operation, including killing off the great Alydar for insurance money, the farm was bought by a fellow who did little to restore the farm to its one time greatness. He recently died and his children were not interested in continuing the operation. For around 37 million or so, Calumet was sold to Brad Kelley.

Brad Kelley, I am told, is a very private individual who does not even let his picture be taken. In his early 50's I think, he started a budget tobacco company and sold it for 1 billion dollars a while back. It is reported that he has amassed extensive real estate holdings in California, Texas, New York, and Kentucky. Currently races under the name of Blue Grass Hall, and had many good ones with Wayne Lucas this past year. Very active recently at the auctions and was buying quality horseflesh. You can expect Kelley to pull out his checkbook and spend whatever it takes to restore Calumet to its proper place as a leading horse farm. This farm is a real showplace and deserves nothing less. Rumor has it Kelley may petition the Jockey Club for permission to resurect the famed Calumet silks.

Got to like this guy's style, and I wish him the best. He is positioned to be a major player in this business in the near future and for a long time to come!

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Apparently, the Calumet silks were sold in the bankruptcy sale to some South American. If Kelley wants the silks, he has got the $$$ to buy them back!