Preakness Week Thread

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Baffert just confirmed Bode is a go, but only galloped him this morning and no breeze planned as of this time.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Cozzetti 5F in :58.80 over muddy strip, Splits 11.60, 23.30, 34.80, 46.80. Out 1:12.40 & 1:27.40. This colt has always worked like a beast and never has duplicated in the afternoon. He is one that once the light buld goes off during a race will suprise at a big price. I'm waiting for him to get back on the weeds. He could bring in the rear of the super or hi 5 this Saturday.
    edited May 2012
    The son of Tale of the Cat breezed four furlongs in :47 3/5 under Horacio Karamanos, turning in the fastest of four moves at the distance.

"He was awesome. It was a little bit faster than I wanted, but it was still good," trainer Ignacio Correas said.

Tiger Walk was equipped with "cheater" blinkers for the work and will wear them for the first time in the Middle Jewel of the Triple Crown. Correas is hoping the blinkers will improve his colt's focus.

"Especially on the turns, he's been losing ground. It's like coming into the turn he's three lengths behind the pace and coming home, it's like seven or eight lengths, and then he's closing ground," Correas said. "So we're trying to avoid that and hopefully we'll accomplish that."

Tiger Walk has raced exclusively in graded stakes this year, all at Aqueduct, finishing third in the Grade 3 Withers before checking in fourth in both the Grade 3 Gotham and Grade 1 Wood Memorial.

"Even though he's been competitive, he still needs to step up," Correas said. "It's a tough race, but you cannot win unless you're in. So, we're going to try our best and he's going to try his best too."

Kent Desormeaux will ride Tiger Walk for the first time Saturday.
    edited May 2012
    Hierro (#Preakness) breezed 1:01.20 EZ over muddy strip @Churchilldowns after break; splits 12.80, 25.40, 37.20, 49....out in 1:14.80 from Byron King of DRF!!!!!

The Assman hasn't confirmed as of this post.
    edited May 2012
    The Coach had Optimizer out for a breeze this moring and he went 4F in 49.80 over "sloppy" surface at CD for Preakness. Splits 13.20, 25.60, 37.60.
    edited May 2012
    Looks as this filly is in fine form as she worked 4f 47.8 breezing over Big Sandy and it was the second best of 56 that day. She will make her presence felt down the lane on Friday.
    edited May 2012
    All this filly does is tear a whole in the track each time out when she breezes. She has turned in two AWESOME works over the CH Strip in the past two weeks. May 6 5f (58.4) and on May 12
    (59.3) both the days best. Don't see her much more than 8/5 and most probably 6/5 at post.
    edited May 2012
    I posted this on April 20th in the Kentucky Derby thread. The part I bolded was a crucial statement from a trainer. They know this horse better than any us and to make a statement about a horse's air capacity they know!!! That is why this colt has been handled in this manner. If he gets by the Preakness and keeps his form, we just might see a Triple Crown Champion that none of us or the experts had any idea this colt was going to be this good!!!!!!

Quotes from O'Neil on I'll Have Another

"I think with I'll Have Another, he's got an amazing stride, he's got a stride of a much taller horse," he said. "He can gallop high and you can't hear him go by. He's just got tremendous air and he's got that something that you can't pick out of a pasture. He's just got that will, he's so competitive and there may be some horses that are more talented than him but, man, there can't be many out there that has his kind of drive to be first to the wire and be a leader ahead of the followers.

"So even in the Santa Anita Derby going at a mile and eight, he still had something left at the end there and so I don't think the mile and a quarter will be a problem," O'Neill added.
    edited May 2012
    at Old Hilltop on Wednesday per Bobby B.
    edited May 2012
    Tim Hills is super high on this filly, she blazed the Pimlico surface yesterday in 4f (47.4) B and last week blazed the CH strip in 4f (46.4) B!!!!!! This filly doesnt possess the speed numbers and looks way to slow to be in against this field but I will be using her underneath in exotics at what should be a huge price.
    edited May 2012
    Posted this on April 19th from the connections on In Lingerie running in the Oaks before she was declared out of it.

In Lingerie in Ky Oaks

Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners and Gary Barber’s In Lingerie has been confirmed to start in the May 4 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.

Jockey John Velazquez, who guided In Lingerie to a six-length triumph in the March 26 Bourbonette Oaks (gr. III) at Turfway Park, has committed to ride the daughter of Empire Maker in the Kentucky Oaks for trainer Todd Pletcher. In Lingerie, in spite of just three lifetime starts, is expected to be a solid contender in the $1 million event for 3-year-old fillies at 1 1/8 miles.

Bred in Kentucky by Colts Neck Stables, In Lingerie was privately acquired by Eclipse and Barber from previous owner Warren Lyster after the filly won her career debut at Turfway Park in January by 6 1/4 lengths. She was transferred from the barn of Stephen Lyster to the care of Pletcher, who has now saddled her twice.

In Lingerie was a troubled second behind Zo Impressive in a Gulfstream Park allowance race Feb. 25, and then came back to decisively win the Bourbonette, which marked her first start around two turns. She now has career earnings of $82,265.

“After huddling up with Todd (Pletcher) and our partner, Gary (Barber), we decided unanimously that running In Lingerie in the Oaks was a calculated risk worth taking,” said Eclipse president Aron Wellman, a former attorney and one-time vice president of Team Valor International. “In Lingerie is an extremely talented yet relatively unseasoned filly.

“She’s training exceptionally well, her numbers are progressive and well within striking distance of the top fillies pointed for the race, she will appreciate the distance, and she seems to really be coming into her own at the moment," Wellman added. "Add the fact that we’ve got John (Velazquez) on board and we believe we’d be headed to Louisville with a legitimate contender.”
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    In Lingerie was withdrawn from Oaks consideration after TAP worked her on the slop at PMM prior to shipping to Louisville. She came back off, as did El Padrino and Gemologist. TAP has sinced taken alot of questions from owners regarding his decision to keep all his derby starters at PMM up until the race.

Nevertheless, In Lingerie is a very fast fillie who has no distance limitations. I think Mamma Kimbo will have to deal with In Lingerie from the start and this should be a two-horse race for the win. IMO, a key play with these on top and second over Zucchini Flower/Glinda the Good/Oaks Lily should provide a decent tri/super!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Disposable Pleasure worked heads up last thurs with Stay Thirsty, 5/8 in 1:00.1. Probably need to include her in the mix for the BES on friday? Stay Thirsty is entered in a overnight later this week.
    edited May 2012
    Dr. Hansen say he will look for another race down the road for Hansen. He needs to cut this one back to one turn. A quality horse but just not a true two turn horse.
    edited May 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Hierro (#Preakness) breezed 1:01.20 EZ over muddy strip @Churchilldowns after break; splits 12.80, 25.40, 37.20, 49....out in 1:14.80 from Byron King of DRF!!!!!

The Assman hasn't confirmed as of this post.

Hierro to pass the Preakness as well.
    edited May 2012
    Just heard DNB is on the fence for the Preakness per the Assman clan.
    edited May 2012
    With all the defections there isn't going to be any speed in the Preakness, Bode might be gone from the outset in this one. Maybe Kent D on Tiger Walk with the cheater blinks might try to run with bode for 5f, only time will tell. It's looking like a race very easy to handicapp this coming Saturday. Looks to be a field of 11 or 12.
    edited May 2012
    Baffert has declared Liaison from the Preakness, might to to Belmont or back to Cali, still up in the air.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    just a weather update for you guys..it rained a lot today and is suppose to do the same tomorrow but then it is suppose to be awesome for the rest of the week....mid 70's on sat..
  • TommyLTommyL Member
    edited May 2012
    rayphil wrote: »
    just a weather update for you guys..it rained a lot today and is suppose to do the same tomorrow but then it is suppose to be awesome for the rest of the week....mid 70's on sat..

The forecast sounds awesome for Saturday. Really hope that it holds up, as I'm making my first trip to the Preakness (and to Pimlico for that matter).
    edited May 2012
    Just heard DNB is on the fence for the Preakness per the Assman clan.

DNB is in and Go Go will be in the saddle.
    edited May 2012
    DNB is in and Go Go will be in the saddle.

Was just told now its the Frogman in the saddle due to his previous races with DNB over this course of his career.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Nice thread.

Regarding Bodemeister, i don't think it's unusual for Derby starters to simply gallop into the Preakness. Very quick turnaround, obviously.
    edited May 2012
    Friday, Race 10
    Grade II Black-Eyed Susan Stakes
    Pimlico
    Purse: $300,000
    Distance: 1 1/8 Mile
    Surface: Dirt

Post Time: 4:46 ET

Post Horse ML Jockey Wt S M Trainer

1 Glinda the Good (KY) 12-1 C. Nakatani 122 F LA S. Asmussen

2 Disposablepleasure (KY) 5-1 J. Castellano 122 F L T. Pletcher

3 Welcome Guest (KY) 4-1 R. Dominguez 122 F L C. Brown

4 Mamma Kimbo (KY) 7-5 M. Smith 122 F L B. Baffert

5 Oaks Lily (KY) 30-1 J. Leparoux 122 F LA T. Hills

6 Plum (MD) 30-1 A. Castellano Jr. 116 F LA R. Jenkins

7 In Lingerie (KY) 9-2 J. Velazquez 122 F LA T. Pletcher

8 Wildcat's Smile (NY) 10-1 R. Napravnik 116 F L D. Galluscio

9 Zucchini Flower (KY) 10-1 S. Russell 122 F LA G. Motion

Owners: 1 - Stonestreet Stables LLC ; 2 - Glencrest Farm LLC ; 3 - A G S Thoroughbreds LTD. ; 4 - Peachtree Stable ; 5 - Jonathan Rey, Javier Sarmiento & Dante Zanelli, Jr. ; 6 - Dark Hollow Farm ; 7 - Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners and Barber, Gary ; 8 - Francis J. Paolangeli ; 9 - Albert Frassetto
    Breeders: 1 - Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings LLC; 2 - Doug Branham; 3 - AGS Thoroughbreds LTD.; 4 - William J. Betz, Dr. Chuck Kidder &Wayne Masterman; 5 - Kings and Queens Farm; 6 - Dark Hollow Farm; 7 - Colts Neck Stables LLC; 8 - Francis Paolangeli; 9 - Albert Frassetto
    edited May 2012
    I spoke to many people before the Derby and read a ton of articles as well. Everyone was all over Daddy Nose Best. When I was at the OTB both days all I heard was Daddy Nose Best over and over again. Well there is one horse that everyone is all over for The Preakness and that is Went the Day Well. I have read numerous experts that loves this horse along with the everday horse player that reads the form and takes all the articles to the extreme. Along with the Team Valor following there will be also the locals following H.G. Motion on Saturday as well. I can see Daddys Nose Best and Creative Cause finishing ahead of this colt. Could be some juicy matchup prices out there for us to take advantage.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    IM with you on Went The Day Well. Im a huge HG Motion guy but will not be playing this one. Sorry Ray but I know you have a huge play in the Pim Special but Im going with Tobys Corner. Was my derby pick last year till he got injured gonna wheel this one with all in the Preakness. Also like Zucchini Flower in the Black Eyed Susan.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    May just use TC with IHA and CC for $25
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I'll Have Another / Bodemiester, Creative Cause / Bodemiester, Creative Cause, Cozzetti, Went the Day Well...... Triple & Super Key
    edited May 2012
    Looks as this filly is in fine form as she worked 4f 47.8 breezing over Big Sandy and it was the second best of 56 that day. She will make her presence felt down the lane on Friday.

Cash Money down the lane, her stablemate had a tough trip or she might of got us at the wire. But I will take it!!!
    edited May 2012
    Pimlico Racecourse

Preakness Day

I have looked for the program changes but as of 8:00 a.m. Central they wasn’t listed. So I could make a difference as the day looms. I can tell you one thing don’t take big chalk in these races today. These later weeds races are tough as hell and have up to 4-5 win contenders in them. I suggest not taking anything less than 5/2 for win wagers in those races. The morning line maker go a little over zealous on some ml he has made in those races.

Race 3

#7 – Laughing (IRE) – Don’t Leave The Window – Win and Place

I would prefer Speak Easy Gal in this race to assure the pace I’m looking to get. But this filly is tactical enough to carve out a good trip and if Speak Easy Gal scratches it will make it tougher for Zargora (FR) throughout the race.

Exotic Key in 1st and 2nd spots

7 over 1-2-4-5

Daily Double

Race 3 - #7
    Race 4 - #4 / #7

Race 4

No value in this race as Paynter will be odds on and looks a little over the top off his last at Churchill Downs. He still should win this one and if anyone is going to beat him it will be Respectful Ed who is on the improve on my speed numbers and is in a fine form cycle coming into this race. It’s playing a double with Laughing (IRE) above wit Paynter and Respectful Ed. If you need action box the following below and hope Paynter hates Old Hilltop surface and fades to 3rd or off the board. I have seen crazier things in the game.

Exotic Box

1-3-4-7

Race 5

This is one tough race and you can make a case for many of these in this type of weed dash. The key to these races is the TRIP. Cactus Sun yesterday was much the best but received a POOR rider from Rocco and cost that horse and me a payday. There is a ton of speed in this one and you have several 3yo’s in here against older as well.

#4 – Concrete Cat – WPS

Exotic Key in all 3 spots

4 over 1-6-9-10-11-13-14

Race 6

Another race where there will be two big chalks and I see both of them doing a throat latch job on each other and it will set this race up for a stalker that is on the improve and could be undefeated at this point and TAP lost this one at The Stream.

#1 – Scaramagna – WPS

Exotic Key 1st and 2nd spots

1 over 2-3-4-6-8

Race 7

This weeds race is tough as hell and I cannot believe the ml maker has made Happy Choice 9/5 coming off over +200 days on the shelf!!!!!! He can beat me and H.G . Motion is cold as hell at this meet at this time. I’m all over a well bred filly in this one and also has the services of a hot jock and a very good weed rider as well.

#7 – Magical Merry – WPS

Exotic Key in all 3 spots

7 over 1-2-3-4-6-8-9-10

Race 8

Another wide open sprint, the buzz horse is Bandbox and it looks to me as this one has had major physical issues in the past as he has been on the shelf many times. Out of the 10 entered I can only see 3 that don’t have a true shot a winning this race.

#4 – Wildcat Brief – WPS

Exotic Key in 1st and 2nd Spots

4 over 1-2-3-7-8-10

Race 9

This race is hard to handicap at this time as two of the horses I like are cross entered and I just checked for changes and still noting and we are less than one hour from post 1. Well I really like Achilles as Drysdale never wins early with his runners and for this one two win back to back must be a true weed horse. But I have been told entered at Belmont on tomorrow in a stakes as well but the form doesn’t show it.

1st Choice if he runs at Pimlico

#12 – Achilles – Win and Place

2nd Choice if he runs here instead of Race 3 on the dirt

#3 – Lemon Juice – WPS – Huge live long shot!!!!!!

3rd Choice

#1 – Easy Crossing – Win and Place

Exotic Key, Only use the horse in listed in preference in KEY position

1-3-12 over 1-2-3-5-8-9-10-12 1st and 2nd spots

Race 10

I love this spot as Baffert has his whole family in town today and one of the reason is this FILLY below. He loves to be in the spot light on BIG DAYS and this one if busting out of her skin right now.

#5 Awesomemundo – Don’t Leave The Window – Win and Place

5 over 1-2-3-6-8-9

Race 11

Another tough weed race carded today, over half the field can win this race. But I have settled a gelding on the improve and looks to be set for a big effort today off his current form and speed numbers.

#10 – Forte Dei Marmi (GB) – Win and Place

10 over 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11

The 137th Running of The Preakness

#1 – Tiger Walk – On the improve on my speed number and will make his presence felt off his be 47 work over Old Hilltop and the cheater blinkers will make sure he is forward placed from the rail. Super / Super Hi 5

#2 – Teeth of the Dog – He beat Went the Day Will in his first US start and ran a decent race in the Wood. Would be shocked of anything than a super filler or Hi 5 filler.

#3 – Pretension - I want no part of this one.

#4 – Zetterholm – What will Babe do to this colt for an advantage?? On a three race win streak against state bred and looks slow to me. Pass

#5 – Went the Day Well – Buzz horse / Wise Guy Horse and so on. If he wins then he beats me as I see this one as a tier below the top 3. EXOTICS

#6 – Creative Cause – Harrington attitude is getting in the way of this colts ability. He will be tough down the lane today. Win Contender!!!!!

#7 – Bodemeister – BOUNCE or run away winner. Mamma Kimbo stopped like a rock yesterday and he came home in 28 seconds on the Merry Go Round at CH two weeks back. Yall can have him!!!!! EXOTICS

#8 – Daddy Nose Best – Weeds horse and need to get him back there soon!!! Super or HI 5

#9 - I’LL Have Another – REAL COLT and has been galloping like a beast since he arrived at Churchill and no different at Old Hilltop. My Selection

#10 - Optimizer – I want no part of in any order.

#11 – Cozzetti - Needs to run to his works and will make his presence down the lane for a share in the race. EXOTICS

Plays

#9 – I’ll Have Another – Win and Place

Exotics Key in 1st and 2nd spots

9 over 5-6-7-11 over 1-2-4-5-6-7-8-11
    edited May 2012
    I spoke to many people before the Derby and read a ton of articles as well. Everyone was all over Daddy Nose Best. When I was at the OTB both days all I heard was Daddy Nose Best over and over again. Well there is one horse that everyone is all over for The Preakness and that is Went the Day Well. I have read numerous experts that loves this horse along with the everday horse player that reads the form and takes all the articles to the extreme. Along with the Team Valor following there will be also the locals following H.G. Motion on Saturday as well. I can see Daddys Nose Best and Creative Cause finishing ahead of this colt. Could be some juicy matchup prices out there for us to take advantage.

He beat one horse in the entire field!!!!!!!!!!! Was like stealing money on my MATCH UP wagers against this over hyped colt.