Mama Kima Lost?

jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Can someone explain to me how Mama Kimba lost that race today? Lone speed. Best of the field. And she had Mike Smith riding her. She should have won gate to wire, shouldn't she?

I would never have bet that race. Mama Kimba went off at 4/5 and looked like a mortal lock, so I didn't think there was any money to be made there. I just can't believe she lost.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    In my humble opinion, and I mean HUMBLE, the biggest factor was the track variant. Oaklawn Park, on the day of the Fantasy( and Arkansas Derby for those playing Bode) was juiced for speed. Mamma Kimbo had an easy lead and speed was holding. Churchill Downs, very similar to Oaklawn Park, was the same way for the Derby.
    In contrast, Pimlico is a little deeper surface and the speeds of the races yesterday bare that out.

In Lingerie had a last workout over the Belmont Training track, a track that is extreemly deep, and her time and the way she got over it, was eye-catching. She ran to that work yesterday whild Mamma was done by the 1/8 pole.

Could be the track surface----but probably just the horse. Thouroughgraph and Ragozin make a ton of money trying to make sense of all of this, including variants and up/down bounce patterns.

Does this help explain the race?