Tired of UR talk

BMB109BMB109 Member
edited June 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
The Belmont got a 96. A classic Union Rags beyer. Yet all we continue to get are headlines about him. I hope baffert brings bodemeister out east to face him and end this ridiculous discussion that if he can win the Haskell. Travers, and beat older horses he might beat IHA for year end honors. UR can't beat and group of older allowance runners at 1 1/8 miles in most cases.

Can anyone offer a reason why the journalists are so enamored with this horse? Is it really an east coast thing? I mean I'm east coast all my life but this horse is not that good and Cali has us beat this year.

Anyone?

Comments

• jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Union Rags had a G1 and a G2 win at 2yrs. Won the Fountain of Youth G2 in Feb, and then two bad trips. I think the excitement is that he recovered his form and is running the way he did at the start of his career.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that 96 is a "classic Union Rags" beyer. Here are every beyer rating he's ever put up before the Belmont: 97,94,110,104,98,98. How does that make 96 a "classic" beyer for him?

I think I like Bodemeister, as well, though. I think even if someone entered a rabbit to tire Bodemeister, he has shown he can beat a good field, including Union Rags.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    UR is over-rated to me is just a regular horse :cool2:
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Far more people spend time bashing Union Rags than praising his efforts. Classic example is this thread. I have heard very few people, if anyone, describe him as a world-beater. As it turns out, he was the right 5/2 shot in the Belmont, whereas a bunch of people foolishly jumped on Dullahan after his absurd blowout half mile work, when the truth was that Dullahan was and is a maiden on the dirt and had questionable breeding for 12 panels to begin with.

Union Rags has never run a truly bad race. His worst performance was in the Derby, where his lumbering style and slobbishness as a racehorse worked against him. As it was, he still made a belated, honest run for 7th. He then came back and did all he could on Belmont Day, which is to say he won the dang race. All the horse has done is run hard wherever he is spotted.

As to the question of his place among the three year old hierarchy, I will probably bet against him next time out because he still hasn't improved as a three year old.

But it's tiresome how often I see people bashing this good race horse.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    SirBear wrote: »
    Far more people spend time bashing Union Rags than praising his efforts. Classic example is this thread. I have heard very few people, if anyone, describe him as a world-beater. As it turns out, he was the right 5/2 shot in the Belmont, whereas a bunch of people foolishly jumped on Dullahan after his absurd blowout half mile work, when the truth was that Dullahan was and is a maiden on the dirt and had questionable breeding for 12 panels to begin with.

Union Rags has never run a truly bad race. His worst performance was in the Derby, where his lumbering style and slobbishness as a racehorse worked against him. As it was, he still made a belated, honest run for 7th. He then came back and did all he could on Belmont Day, which is to say he won the dang race. All the horse has done is run hard wherever he is spotted.

As to the question of his place among the three year old hierarchy, I will probably bet against him next time out because he still hasn't improved as a three year old.

Well said!!!! But I don't see him winning HOY this year.
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited June 2012
    jjohns7777 wrote: »
    Union Rags had a G1 and a G2 win at 2yrs. Won the Fountain of Youth G2 in Feb, and then two bad trips. I think the excitement is that he recovered his form and is running the way he did at the start of his career.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that 96 is a "classic Union Rags" beyer. Here are every beyer rating he's ever put up before the Belmont: 97,94,110,104,98,98. How does that make 96 a "classic" beyer for him?

I think I like Bodemeister, as well, though. I think even if someone entered a rabbit to tire Bodemeister, he has shown he can beat a good field, including Union Rags.

FB?....his 2 top beyers were a 95 is the Saratoga Special and a 95 in the Fountain of Youth. Now he received a new top of 96....

Broke his maiden with a 66, next earned a 95 in the special,
    92 in the champagne, 94 in the Juvi (where he couldn't run down a drunken tired Hanson), then the Fountain got back to a 95, then the much todo about nothing trip in the Fla Derby he got a 93 ( he got clear with plenty of time to run down those 2 horses and couldn't), then he got a 90 in the K Derby which he was never going to win with a dream trip or not. The belmont is a new top dude. Where in gods name do you think he ever broke 100 let alone get a 110?
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited June 2012

To be honest of the journalist gave a realistic assessment of this horse such as you just did so many people probably wouldn't bash him. Reality is he is always the headline win or lose and Matz whining. There is this underlying impression that because Matz had BArbaro he must be a genius.

I admit I do not think he's a good horse. Sure he won the Belmont but the horse I foolishly chose with 4 lifetime starts might have beat him with a little better race riding there at the end. Given its a weak crop but youre not going to win too many G1s running that slow.

I hear you though.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    UR is a good horse. Bode is going to monmouth where UR is never going to go. He will get a rematch with paytner in the travers. All I hear is how slow the belmont was, well what do you expect when they go 23 at first click and then the half in 49. was was 6f 114...its a stupid distance that these horses will never run again...imo give these horses next to judge anyone...
  • IH8PATDAYIH8PATDAY Member
    edited June 2012
    I for one am sick and fucking tired of bullshit like this. Why do people always have to hate one way or the other. It's like the Zenyatta/ Rachel nonsense all over again. It's a fucking horse race, you don't like the horse, don't fucking bet him, But when he beats the plug you bet now the bashing starts. Beyers, Beyers, Beyers!!! You show me one real handicapper that gives them more than a passing glance and I'll show you a loser. Those things are absolutely meaningless. You don't think UR is very good, fine next time he runs bet against him and make a boatload but stop all the ridiculous statements like"He might never win another race" please he is a quality race horse. No he won't win HOY or probably 3yo of the year, but who gives a fuck, I'm a gambler I could care less who wins those awards.
    edited June 2012
    BMB109 wrote: »
    FB?....his 2 top beyers were a 95 is the Saratoga Special and a 95 in the Fountain of Youth. Now he received a new top of 96....

92 in the champagne, 94 in the Juvi (where he couldn't run down a drunken tired Hanson), then the Fountain got back to a 95, then the much todo about nothing trip in the Fla Derby he got a 93 ( he got clear with plenty of time to run down those 2 horses and couldn't), then he got a 90 in the K Derby which he was never going to win with a dream trip or not. The belmont is a new top dude. Where in gods name do you think he ever broke 100 let alone get a 110?

photostream

I copied that out of the PPS I downloaded from equibase before the Belmont Stakes.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    IH8PATDAY wrote: »
    I for one am sick and fucking tired of bullshit like this. Why do people always have to hate one way or the other. It's like the Zenyatta/ Rachel nonsense all over again. It's a fucking horse race, you don't like the horse, don't fucking bet him, But when he beats the plug you bet now the bashing starts. Beyers, Beyers, Beyers!!! You show me one real handicapper that gives them more than a passing glance and I'll show you a loser. Those things are absolutely meaningless. You don't think UR is very good, fine next time he runs bet against him and make a boatload but stop all the ridiculous statements like"He might never win another race" please he is a quality race horse. No he won't win HOY or probably 3yo of the year, but who gives a fuck, I'm a gambler I could care less who wins those awards.

Sorry, I was logged in with the wrong handle.
    edited June 2012
    I stand corrected. The PPS' I normally use are from equibase. I knew the equibase speed ratings would be different from the Beyer speed ratings in the DRF, but I never realized just how far apart they would be.

@dirtyshirt: Why so tense? I don't mean to "hate" on anyone. Hope no one took my post that way before.

It is a good point, though, to say that the speed ratings are not that important in handicapping. The problem is that the baseline to get to 100 is different at every different track, so the speed ratings of horses from different tracks might not give a good comparison. I personally only use them to eliminate horses that have no realistic chance of winning.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    KP-HR2k9 wrote: »
    UR is over-rated to me is just a regular horse :cool2:

lol i'm not hating on UR i love Horses i feel the the media expect alot of him and he hasn't been performing to his expectation

like i said 2me he's a regular horse, i think Bodemeister is better than UR...

UR has to earn his due, and the media should just let him be a horse and stop Hyping the horse racing industry about stuff they don't know...... :bye:
    edited June 2012
    BMB109 wrote: »

I know he hasn't broken a 100+ beyer, he might be using equibase or bris #'s. But still he really hasn't taken a huge step backwards off the numbers I use. I agree he hasn't moved forward since his two year old campaign. But lets wait and see what happens to his speed numbers once he gets back to races 8f and up. You really cannot put much in this 1 1/2 race as he will never run that distance again. Right now Bodemeister is the best 3yo out there sice IHA is gone to the shed. Bodemeister ran two great races and his numbers previous to those races show he is going to be the horse to contend with this summer and going forward. Let's just hope Bodemeister can stay sound or doesn't get ill.

fb
    edited June 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Sorry, I was logged in with the wrong handle.

???
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Good discussion. FWIW, Rags has run much faster relatively-speaking on Ragozin, as compared to Beyers. His sheets top is around a 3, which is quite fast. Unfortunately he ran this # as a two year old and has yet to run past it at three, which is a bad sign. It makes him a good bet-against in subsequent starts.

As for Paynter, I happen to think he has a great future if the Belmont didn't ruin him. I also think he is better suited than Bodemeister to get 10 furlongs. Anyway, it should be a great summer of racing. I always find these three year olds are a big easier to wager on after the Derby, as I historically have a horrible ROI in derby prep season, but I heat up as the Summer goes along.

Anyway, I appreciate Rags' honesty and like the fact that he finally was able to show a little heart and win a close race. Definitely not the strongest Belmont ever though, and Rags is a good horse to take a shot against in horizontal wagers on a day in the near future, perhaps at Saratoga. He's a grinder who will have a hard time beating good horses at 9f because of his lack of athleticism.
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited June 2012

Angry and gambler is not often a good combo. I love Pat Day though....lmao
  • wheatinawheatina Junior Member
    edited June 2012
    Beyers, Beyers, Beyers!!! You show me one real handicapper that gives them more than a passing glance and I'll show you a loser .

I think you just showed us one.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    ???

Joking FB.
    edited June 2012
    Good discussion. FWIW, Rags has run much faster relatively-speaking on Ragozin, as compared to Beyers. His sheets top is around a 3, which is quite fast. Unfortunately he ran this # as a two year old and has yet to run past it at three, which is a bad sign. It makes him a good bet-against in subsequent starts.

As for Paynter, I happen to think he has a great future if the Belmont didn't ruin him. I also think he is better suited than Bodemeister to get 10 furlongs. Anyway, it should be a great summer of racing. I always find these three year olds are a big easier to wager on after the Derby, as I historically have a horrible ROI in derby prep season, but I heat up as the Summer goes along.

Anyway, I appreciate Rags' honesty and like the fact that he finally was able to show a little heart and win a close race. Definitely not the strongest Belmont ever though, and Rags is a good horse to take a shot against in horizontal wagers on a day in the near future, perhaps at Saratoga. He's a grinder who will have a hard time beating good horses at 9f because of his lack of athleticism.

Now this is a great point on why UR is a play against, I happen to agree with most of it in fact. It is the horses obvious lack of athleticism that makes it hard for him to win at times. That being said I still love the horse because he is as honest as they come and shows up every time. Keep some rationale to your arguments and keep Beyers in the garbage where they belong.

BTW Pat Day blows, always has and always will. See what I mean?
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited June 2012
    Now this is a great point on why UR is a play against, I happen to agree with most of it in fact. It is the horses obvious lack of athleticism that makes it hard for him to win at times. That being said I still love the horse because he is as honest as they come and shows up every time. Keep some rationale to your arguments and keep Beyers in the garbage where they belong.

BTW Pat Day blows, always has and always will. See what I mean?

Well maybe I hate UR like you hate Pat Day.....lol....sorry you hate Andy Beyer. I find them a useful tool like most and that's what they are....a piece of information. Like them or not they offer fine comparative standards.

I stand by my argument. UR is running too slow to win most G1s. Whether its beyers, ragozin, equibase, doesn't matter period. Of course he's a good bet against next out!

Fine he's an honest horse .....honest and slow and I'm freakin tired of fucking headlines and IH8PatDay mindset. To think matz would publicly state he thought UR would win the triple crown is ridiculous. Maybe you were drinking the same koolaid h8ter I dunno....but so much hate is not healthy.
    edited June 2012
    Personally, I don't hate any horse. Every horse can be a good horse or a bad horse, depending on the race. You just have to look at the type and class of each of the horses in the race and figure out how the race should play out, depending on the form.

To make a statement about a horse without regards to a particular race can end up being expensive (hope that's clear). For example, look at Bodemeister. Everyone seems to love him, right? Well, he was the lone speed in the Preakness, but he got beat by a presser. He should have had a huge advantage, and all markers pointed to him winning gate to wire. But he didn't. So next time out, if there are one or two good pressers in his race with him, or if there is another speed horse and a presser with him, do you bet him because you "love" him, or do bet against him? I would sit that race out, myself.

What about Dullahan? He's a great closer, but the only mention of him here has been hate. Well, I had picked Dullahan to win the Belmont, myself. when I first saw the race, I thought the distance must have been too much for him. Well, after watching the replay, I saw what really happened. When he got to the final turn and was about to make his move on the stretch, a horse moved in front of him, blocking him. Well, I'm of the opinion that if Calvin Borel had been riding him, he would have cut inside that horse and made the move. That's not what happened. He slowed drastically to avoid hitting that other horse. That cost him the race. I am convinced had he not been blocked, he would have finished 1st or 2nd in the race. If the field is similar to Belmont in his next race, I will not hesitate to bet him on the nose.

If you want to rant about this horse or that horse, and make decisions about their future without regards to the conditions in each race, then you're going to lose a lot of money at the track. I believe that is the point that dirtyshirt was trying to make earlier.
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited June 2012
    jjohns7777 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't hate any horse. Every horse can be a good horse or a bad horse, depending on the race. You just have to look at the type and class of each of the horses in the race and figure out how the race should play out, depending on the form.

To make a statement about a horse without regards to a particular race can end up being expensive (hope that's clear). For example, look at Bodemeister. Everyone seems to love him, right? Well, he was the lone speed in the Preakness, but he got beat by a presser. He should have had a huge advantage, and all markers pointed to him winning gate to wire. But he didn't. So next time out, if there are one or two good pressers in his race with him, or if there is another speed horse and a presser with him, do you bet him because you "love" him, or do bet against him? I would sit that race out, myself.

What about Dullahan? He's a great closer, but the only mention of him here has been hate. Well, I had picked Dullahan to win the Belmont, myself. when I first saw the race, I thought the distance must have been too much for him. Well, after watching the replay, I saw what really happened. When he got to the final turn and was about to make his move on the stretch, a horse moved in front of him, blocking him. Well, I'm of the opinion that if Calvin Borel had been riding him, he would have cut inside that horse and made the move. That's not what happened. He slowed drastically to avoid hitting that other horse. That cost him the race. I am convinced had he not been blocked, he would have finished 1st or 2nd in the race. If the field is similar to Belmont in his next race, I will not hesitate to bet him on the nose.

If you want to rant about this horse or that horse, and make decisions about their future without regards to the conditions in each race, then you're going to lose a lot of money at the track. I believe that is the point that dirtyshirt was trying to make earlier.

I get all your points but don't necessarily agree 100%. I do think you can make a statement with regards to a horse compared to a group of horses. Such as UR and this crop....and UR vs most any older graded group. Yeah I get your point on conditions, competition, and how the race mught play out.... but if a horse is too slow he is too slow....or as SIrBear put it best he lacks athleticism. On the other hand Dullahan left his race on the track when he worked 45 and change. Plus...the race set up to be plodding which took him out of his game....fast work or not, But I truly never want to see a dead closer work a blistering 1/2 like that.

I hope you too understand that ignoring pure talent or lack thereof is just as dangerous a game. I;m not talking being at the track and getting action on every race on the card. I'm talking top ranked animals in graded stakes not a maiden claimer who won off by 10 lengths in the slop is coming back in a NX1 allowance race and ends up chalk.

Back to UR yes...put him in the right conditions, against the right group, and sure he can win. But they won't be ducking anybody...they thought he was going to win the triple crown for goodness-sake..they clearly think he's the 2nd coming and if they follow through with their ill-conceived logic he may very well not win another race this year and then they retire him. I fully appreciate he may blossom during the summer and if he does I'll give him his due. As of now he has run the same races last year and this year....no improvement.

Every trainers strength or weakness and their standings is a direct result of knowing where to place their horses. Matz has a 14% win rate for the year. I think Baffert is clicking over 30%. Is he a better trainer?..maybe maybe not...but he definitely places his horses where they can win. Matz thinks UR should have won the triple crown...where do you think he'll be placing him?

And of course no you don't ever bet a horse because you love him or against him because you hate him. Thats not what this is about. Its about over hyping a horse of average talent and we can all be fans or not and still understand handicapping objectively.

As for Bodemeister I disagree, 1st I have never bet on him but boy do I admire him now. He's lightly raced and has run several huge races already. His high cruising speed will be difficult to deal with at 9F. Out sprinting Trinniberg in the Derby shocked me and he was still around at the end impressed me.

I really don't hate any horse either. I do not fault UR for anything....again its the hype that gets to me and made me want to have this open discussion....well of course then there's h8ter in a league of his own. I think its been an interesting and good discussion so far.....
    edited June 2012
    Lol, the only thing I said I hate is Pat Day, and that's because IMO he cost Easy Goer a triple crown but that's beside the point. Other than that I do not hate any horse, and your point about the hype to me is incorrect. Every article I read about the Belmont was how mediocre the race was and how UR beat a horse that lacked the seasoning to win the race. I don't hate Andy Beyer, his numbers are flawed and the are a tool in the racing form for beginners as a way for them to compare horses, plain and simple. the way a horse earned each Beyer is way more important than what the number was, i.e lone speed, closer into a rapid pace, etc... The guy is a pompous jackass who thinks he is smarter than everybody.No I don't hate him for that , I just ignore him.
    edited June 2012
    OK. maybe I'm confused. Are IH8PATDAY and dirtyshirt the same person, or have I been commenting to dirtyshirt when I should have been commenting to IH8PATDAY?
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited June 2012
    Ok I see your point now. For me its been the hype all year not after the Belmont.

We'll agree to disagree on beyers. Sure for a beginner maybe they think the highest beyer should win the race. For an experienced handicapper you look how they won it, type of surface, can you eliminate some, etc....I use them comparatively not absolutely. It funny I could open the same thread about speed figs and we'd have a similar discussion :)

As for Easy Goer :). Ok I'll admit it. I had a feeling thats what you handle was all about. I'm in the same camp as you. I was at Belmont for his last race in the Suburban and that day he put him in the race when the gates opened and boy was he a different animal. Unfortunately when He came back to the winners circle he didn't look quite right andwe never saw him again. Sometimes I wonder how much shugs style has to do with it too. Majority of his horses tend to lay way back. I dunno but I still hold Goer as perhaps my alltime fav.
    edited June 2012
    Well after a page of banter we finally reached a common ground, LOL. Easy Goer is absolutely my favorite horse of all time and I will never forgive what Pat "I'll wait all" Day did to him. Also I guess I misunderstood what your original post was referring to, I was strictly speaking post Belmont.
    Anyway I love the discussion and enjoy the back and forth, so I look forward to disagreeing with you in the future, LOL!! peace , brother.:drinking: