Doug O'Neil Cashes on I'll Have Another

Comments

• KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    nice article, good for him '20k on a $100.00 bet':clap2:
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2012
    You should've heard Lucky's whining about it after that horse won the Derby. I think i read about how much money they lost in at least three different articles locally. Talking about how "somebody in California knew something", as if anyone really knows who's going to win the Derby two months ahead of time (let alone on raceday). Kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Congrats to O'Neill, though.

PS - Lucky's has essentially been put out of business, but not by O'Neill. They're currently being taken over by the huge English bookmaking firm William Hill (along with all the Leroy's and Cal-Neva locations). Those guys have offered a lot European horseracing stuff overseas, obviously, so it'll be interesting to see what they do over here.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    From DRF:

O’Neill and Verge said Navarro made the $100 wager for them. Lucky’s director of marketing, Dan Shapiro, who was also here to witness the ticket being cashed, said that was a limit wager and the only one made at that price, and the odds were dropped to 100-1. O’Neill and Verge said Navarro bet $50 for himself at 100-1 and made six bets in all. By the time he left, Lucky’s had lowered I’ll Have Another’s odds to 25-1, but that wasn’t enough to keep the book from having its first losing Derby futures in the company’s four years of existence, Shapiro said.

Might as well have bet him the morning of the Derby @ that price. Nice scores for all these guys.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    My best friend is a diehard Dodgers-Kings-Rams fan. Since our trips to LV during college, I can remember him putting down money on their preseason odds. The only year he didnt was the year his soon to be wife tagged along and talked him out of it right before breakfast on our last day. That was 1999 when the Rams - when at 200-1 odds - won the SB.

I can still remember watching the game at his house and his wife saying "honey, I thought youd be happier about your team winning".

The happy ending to this story is he cashed in on the Kings this year...though definitely not 200-1...