Handicapping Quarterhorses

jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
edited July 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I downloaded Saturday's card for Delta Downs, not realizing it was quarter horses. Well, I have a little database I created for myself a couple of years ago. With over 900 races entered, only about 30 are quarter horse races.

When I've handicapped those races in the past, I just treated them like sprints. Seems like in a 300 yard race, the speed rating becomes the most important factor. Is that true? Does anyone have any advice on handicapping Quarter Horses?

I'm going to make my picks and post them here just to see how I do. Don't think I'll be betting on these, though.

Comments

• jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Delta Downs, Saturday 5/30/12
    2 - 6-Coronas Especial, 3-Revvy, 4-Rocket Rakin
    3 - 7-Dashin Bye Yall, 9-A Jazzing Rocket, 1-Lolas Jalopena Lena
    4 - 6-Holliewood Clyde, 9-Most Feared, 3-Bigtime N Jet
    5 - 7-Itsy Bitsy Dancer, 3-Chicks Bull Regard, 9-Shezarunninatcha
    6 - 1-King Kajun Kayenne, 7-Bubba B Bad, 4-Toast to Ms Brielle
    7 - 4-Jls Ms Evangline, 8-Rdd Fishers Favorite, 7-Dashing First Down
    8 - 1-Toastally Tops, 6-Holy Grail, 9-Sweet Lil Rhylan
    9 - 9-Taylors Toastin Papa, 4-Nowurtalkin, 8-Kool Country Man
    10 - 8-Jess Dashin Perry, 4-Supa Chocolaterocket, 10-Mr Do You Love Me
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I hope you mean 6/30/12...lol...w2w
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    wire2wire wrote: »
    I hope you mean 6/30/12...lol...w2w
    hahahaah me2 :drinking:
    good luck with your picks.......

I never been into QHorses, i try trotters " i call them buggys" and is ok

these QHorses must be about who's the quickest.

that's a fast rushhhh wow.... :cool2:
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    my info is limited, but there is a trainer named Jones who always has some fast ones. I can't remember his first name. Moreover, always play a horse with Dash or Cash in it's name. Problem might be that you will have many in any given race with those names. Top bloodline and they are using high tech science to produce offspring while these are still on the track. I would be careful about risking too much on Louisiana QH tracks. Not the best reputation for being a square game?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Paul Jones, and he is the Assman of QH racing. Must have 800 or so in his stables, which run from Ok/Louisiana all the way to Los Al.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    One of my accounts in Springfield Ma has a 3 yr old direct down from Dash For Cash. Unraced and probally never will be. Ill have to ask her a little more info and can do some research.
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    In the 4th, #6-Holliewood Clyde won at 2.4/1, and in the 7th, 4-Jls Ms Evangline won at 1.9/1. I haven't seen the results for the 10th. So, my first pick won two out of 8 races.

In the 2nd, #3-Revvy won at .6/1, and in the 8th #6-Holy Grail won at 2.1/1. Two of my second picks won.

In the past, when handicapping thoroughbreds, my first picks have won about 1/3 of the races and my 2nd picks have won about 1/4 of the races, so if I were to bet win tickets on both my 1st and 2nd picks, I would cash 7 out of every 12 races (7 winners out of 24 bets), statistically. Today, using that strategy, I would have cashed 4 out of 8 (4 winners out of 16 bets). Unfortunately, the odds would not have been in my favor. Assuming $2.00 bets on each of my first and second picks on races 2-9, I would have bet $32.00 to get a payout of only $22.00.

Picking winners is easier than making money, isn't it?
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    A little more on my accounts horse. I had asked this morning when i was in there. Power Wood Cash now 11 and gelded never raced and was considered a gaming horse. out of Dash for Cash and River Witch and was a gift direct from Melvin Ranch in S. Dakota