Sunday Plays

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited July 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Bad case of seconditis yesterday. I have three today and I'm going for the "Hat Trick"

Ellis Park Race 7
2 yo going one mile on turf
#5 JAZIL BELL, 6-1
made his debut last month sprinting on CD dirt. Broke slow and ran up to get into contention but had nothing left from his efforts. Now he stretches out on turf and should appreciate the distance. He is bred to like the weeds and his works prior to first start were very good. He should break better in second start and be within a couple turning for home and let his breeding take over.

Belmont Park Race 7
Starter Hdc $20k clm with purse of $53k--6f turf
#2 CACTUS SON, 2-1
These connections just don't ship. Based in Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas, ---but this year sent a group to Delaware. Not that far from Delaware to Long Island, and when you can get $53k for a $20k clm race you better go. Lures top jock Javier Castellano. A top win wager and a probable single on all verticals. Word is that he may be taking some of his barn to Saratoga to appease top owner Toby Keith of country music world?

Belmont Park Race 9
Voodoo Dancer Stakes--$90k --older f&m going one mile on turf
#2 LA CLOCHE, 7/2
5 yo mare is a Darby Dan homebred out of Ghostzapper who has faced much better than she faces today. She came out of a Spa Stakes last summer with a bone chip and had a little remodeling done. In her first race back she ran a credible 2nd and has come back to work very well, with a very good turf work. This old girl has a late kick from hell and expect her to put on a show today in the late going. We just hope we have a good pace to run after as she will have plenty left for the last 100 yards! I'm not crazy about the jock, Junior Alvarado, but all he has to do is get her outside turning for home and just hold on!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I just heard from Louisiana trainer Mike Burgess. He has been trying to get me to get him some horses since we met last year at Oaklawn. Mike and Kenny Smith work together on many, and Cactus Son is one that both have had for owner Sprague. Mike did well with him this past winter at Fair Grounds and Kenny took him back when he went to Delaware. In any event, they are pissed that JP Campo assigned Cactus Son 10lbs more than the field. However, most of these have raced recently for a $20k clm, and Cactus Son has not run that low since over a year ago, and has been running against much better and doing well. Of course, these guys think Campo is out to get them just cause they ship in and happen to fit this strange condition. Rail draw and 10lbs is a difference maker, but this one is by far the class of this field! Presence of Castellano could be the difference?
    edited July 2012
    Darby Dan group in NY. Probably had dinner last night at River Cafe in Brooklyn and a Broadway show. But, today they will be at Belmont and they will be dressed for a Winner's Circle picture with La Cloche! These are great folks who love their horses more than most. Many in this business think they will really make a big splash in years to come with the addition of Shackleford to breed to all their mares. I'm pulling for the Phillips family in a big way today, and my wager will reflect same! On paper, there is plenty of speed to set up her late kick!

Got another call on Cactus Son, and we might want to check the sct. I doubt he will sct, Kenny Smith has already spent the money to ship. Still, he is pissed with the weights assigned.
  • Rick57Rick57 Junior Member
    edited July 2012
    Cactus Son is a VET SCRATCH.
    Sorry John
    edited July 2012
    I don't know the particulars, but NYRA track Vet scratched Cactus Son. I'm sure there is a hell of a story behind this one!
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    John, great call on the Belmont 9th.....it played out just like you said it would....as for Ellis Park 7th...had the horse seen the rail he could have won....raced terrific given he was outside the entire mile and was still very game down the stretch....thank you for the insight.