Del Mar Spots Sunday

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited August 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Venturing into unknown waters!

Jeff Bonde sent some down here last winter and although I did not get to know him, a buddy of mine did. He tells me that in race 4---#5 Caballo Del Cielo, 3-1, Bonde thinks this one will jump out and never look back. Supposed to be a real beast! wp ad ex bx back-up 4-5-7.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2012

Jeff Bonde sent some down here last winter and although I did not get to know him, a buddy of mine did. He tells me that in race 4---#5 Caballo Del Cielo, 3-1, Bonde thinks this one will jump out and never look back. Supposed to be a real beast! wp ad ex bx back-up 4-5-7.

Workout Report for Caballo Del Cielo below bolded.

Aug 5th, 2012
    Del Mar
    6f:~ in 1:11.4s - Victor in the irons as this colt flew through an opening quarter of 22.40 on way to being best of a three horse team from the blocks.

Also have been told that Jerry H's Outside Nashville and Baffert's Code West are working well into this race. That could be the three for the tri.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited August 2012

I was on the 5 too. The 4 horse interests me next out. Some kind of Baffert scheme.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Tough track if you turn for home in front! Does anyone ever go gate to wire on the poly?

In the 6th---4-5-6-9 tri box is my play and I just hope the 6 and/or the 9 come flying!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Looks like I picked a good day to test the waters at Del Mar. $2.00 dd pays $5,100.00. Sure wish I had it! I can't remember this many price horses getting home at any California track. I think I will take my toys home and lick my wounds!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    well john the pick 5 carried over the pick 6 carried over after the 3rd leg and you had a pick 3 that paid 27k and 36k..a lot of people are licking there wounds right now...ill be attacking that pick 5 on weds tho..pk5 co is 360k and pk6 co is like 240k.
  • justin13892002justin13892002 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Fb, great report on Caballo Del Cielo! Where did you happen to find that out at? 6F blowout in 111 is great but after an opening 1/4 in 22.4, that makes it a ton more influential on the final decision. Thanks for the info.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I was looking at Caballo Del Cielo pretty hard, but i was afraid of the Baffert firster (Cameo Appearance) coming off the drill with Eden's Moon.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I was looking at Caballo Del Cielo pretty hard, but i was afraid of the Baffert firster (Cameo Appearance) coming off the drill with Eden's Moon.
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I was on the 5 too. The 4 horse interests me next out. Some kind of Baffert scheme.

Here's Cameo Appearance's (the 4) workouts from before the race.

CAMEO APPEARANCE Aug 5 DMR 5 1:02.1H M FT B
    Broke in front of older Stakes type Eden's Moon breezing late while heads apart in 37.4, 102.1 out really well in 114.0. Noteworthy spin.---Grade: B
    CAMEO APPEARANCE Jul 19 DMR 6 1:12.2HG M FT B
    In hand outside barnmate Code West going heads up throughout in 24.3, 36.1 matching strides while looking a tad the best in 48.2, 100.3, 113.1. Solid sort and should get a lot out of this drill.---Grade: B

Well as we all know now, Baffert had two in the race, and Code West ran a very good 3rd, but Cameo Appearance faded. We all know anything can happen in a race, but I suspect Cameo Appearance (who looks better in the AM) might be worth a next out play. Let's see where he ends up.