Paging Dirtyshirt

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited October 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I can't remember the post, but you set forth a place or two to stay if you are going to santa Anita. I'm not talking about BC, but opening day right after X-Mas.

Seems my family, or what's left of it, might make a trip to L.A. and a trip to the Great Race Place is in order? Nothing in stone quite yet, but it looks promising!

Probably just one day at the track, then on to Napa or San Diego, but you're input is invited. This is all asuming that my new yearling by Tapit stays healthy. If you will recall, Tapits went for big bucks during sesions 1-3 at Keeneland Sale and when the Shiek and the Coolmore Irish Mafia left they went reasonable. At least not half million or so! Nevertheless, let me know what you think and logistics etc., and we can talk later.

If my wife likes the trip I will give her the old number 6, or as Mel Brooks said "Shackleford"!

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    I can't remember the post, but you set forth a place or two to stay if you are going to santa Anita. I'm not talking about BC, but opening day right after X-Mas.

Seems my family, or what's left of it, might make a trip to L.A. and a trip to the Great Race Place is in order? Nothing in stone quite yet, but it looks promising!

Probably just one day at the track, then on to Napa or San Diego, but you're input is invited. This is all asuming that my new yearling by Tapit stays healthy. If you will recall, Tapits went for big bucks during sesions 1-3 at Keeneland Sale and when the Shiek and the Coolmore Irish Mafia left they went reasonable. At least not half million or so! Nevertheless, let me know what you think and logistics etc., and we can talk later.

If my wife likes the trip I will give her the old number 6, or as Mel Brooks said "Shackleford"!

Opening day has been a tradition in my family going back 50 years. We'll all be seated in the INFIELD having a blast - I strongly encourage you to join us with yours. I'll also be wandering around with the usual horsemen, and trying to pick up anything worth while.

As for hotels, find a Starwood property in Old Town Pasadena. Charming for the fam, and plenty of bars for you.
    edited October 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Opening day has been a tradition in my family going back 50 years. We'll all be seated in the INFIELD having a blast - I strongly encourage you to join us with yours. I'll also be wandering around with the usual horsemen, and trying to pick up anything worth while.

As for hotels, find a Starwood property in Old Town Pasadena. Charming for the fam, and plenty of bars for you.

And if you can't do the infield (it's nice, but some people can't do beach chairs and blankets), I'll talk to "The Guy" and hook you up with turf club and valet for whoever you need. I'll for sure stop and bullshit over a beer where ever you end up (FRONTRUNNER BAR above the finish line is awesome too) , but if you've got any kids with you - INFIELD.
    edited October 2012
    The Westin Pasadena

191 North Los Robles
    Pasadena, California 91101
    United States

Phone: (626) 792-2727

Right in the middle of it all. And, if you can find flights to Burbank Airport instead of LAX, you'll really be relaxing quickly.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the info!

Change of plans, however. Won't be able to get there opening day. Just to much trying to please everybody!

Coming in on Thursday, the 26th. LAX(yeah, I know its a lot better to fly into Burbank but my AA FF tickets are being used and the extra dime I'm saving could go a long way at the track)! Getting a car service to take us from LAX to either Westin or the Old Town Pasadena Hilton(yeah, I know the Westin is nicer but, again, I have Hilton Honors points). I'm not sure I want to ruin a great trip by trying to navigate 18 fuckin lanes of traffic on the 110 or the 405!

We plan on going to SA on Friday and possibly Saturday too. I'll probably go thru Dogwood and see if they can get us the Eclipse box for the days. As we get a little closer I will give you my e-mail and we can exchange info. Plan on being there!!!
    edited October 2012
    I'm there everyday.
    edited October 2012
    The weather out here is great JG. You're gonna be in for a treat I think.
    edited October 2012
    Oh, and make sure the Eclipse box is nowhere near Baffert. That family, and most of the rich pricks they're with can ruin your day with complaining.
    edited October 2012
    Can't wait!!!

I've been all over most of the civilized world but never to the City Of Angels. I don't know how much I will see though, since I plan on spending most of my time at the track! I have been dicking around with my computrt for over an hour trying to figure out how to change my avitar. I should have hired a 13 year old from the Ukraine to do this shit for me. The new pic is Morse ( hate the name ) my little yearling. Looks like he will fill out nicely over the next few months although he is a bit small in height, 15.2 hands, the exact same size as Northern Dancer?
    edited October 2012
    I was about to ask. It's gotta be late where ever you are.

The days you're here are great. It's the only time my office is ever closed, and the racing is amazing.

I've never been a fan of bringing my old lady to the track (infield excluded), but if it's a family thing i can do it. I can also just stop by and have a beer. Either way, we'll talk as it gets closer.
    edited October 2012
    Those rich pricks that you refer to usually disperse pretty quick when I throw out a salvo of " Beat the fuckin hair off of em" "Now, hit em again so he'll remember it"!!!

Was at Belmont last year and having a very good day when some old dame in the rich bitch box next to me questioned in a most condescending manner " How do you know so much about horses?" To which I quickly replied " Hey Toots, I'm from Arkansas, we ride one to work every Goddamn Day!"--Not too much chit-chat after that? Bafferts posse won't bother me much!
    edited October 2012
    As far as bringing family, there is always a good chance that by the time we get to Pasadena my family won't be speaking to me, let alone willing to go to the track. BTW, my daughter is no longer considered a child, being a 27 year old attorney working in Wash D.C.. The girls are kind of the Turf Club crowd! Me---railbird at heart!
    edited October 2012
    LMAO.

They're all pricks, the gentleman Mr. Pegram the lone exception, but that's a great story.

I think we're gonna have a good time.