Anyone following KY Fall Yearling Sales?

CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
edited October 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
They start today in 10 minsand go through Weds.
Hip 29 & 116 in particular today.

Anyone else following?

No cigars today, 3 yesterday.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    I got involved in the Keeneland Yearling sale last month. The first 3 sessions saw record prices but calmed down later.

The FT Ky Yearling sale is one that lately has been more suited for pin-hookers and I think you will see many RNA'S who will show up in the spring in-tack training sales? But you never know?

#29 is the NY bred Tale Of The Cat fillie who shows up here and not at the Spa sale, or maybe she did and RNA at Saratoga?

#116 is the English Channel colt out of a Mr. P mare--could be any kind, but likely a grass future?

Over 1200 catalogued, man, that's alot of yearlings!
    edited October 2012
    When I said record prices I didn't mean record per se. But, pretty good figures given the past three years. The Keeneland Sale started off with a bang when the big hitters were there in force. Godolphin, Darley, Shadwell, and the Coolmore Irish Mafia! Funny how the Keeneland folks knew which yearlings to put out in the first few sessions?

The leading sire was Tapit, who is the hottest sire going right now. In session 4, I think, we picked up a colt by Tapit out of a young mare by Include. Could be any kind? But what we liked is that he was a homie from Brerrie Jones and had all the scopes and tests and had good conformation. Moreover, he is a chestnut, which is unusual for a Tapit, and in his pedigree you have to go all the way back to Unbridled's dam and Secretariat to find a chestnut. He was easy to break and is already galloping and building muscle at the Aiken training track. I sure hope he turns out to be a runner!!!!!
  • CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    John, you're informative posts are really very helpful. Not sure if you know John Gaspar from Vinery in Lexington, but 29 went for only 4K. And the English Channel 116 was a late out.
    He is still there looking for us, we wanted either a NYB or a potential grass runner.

Patience in this sport is a must, they're only on 159 as I type.
    edited October 2012
    Patience is indeed a virtue! Sounds like you are getting good advice if you are working with the folks at Vinery! They already know which ones are worth a look and those that are not. I have been around horses for many years, but to this day I can hardly tell a good ankle and knee from one that is slightly out?

Keep us posted on the ones you are eying so we can follow along. Happ
    Happy shopping and Good Luck!

PS: I have a feeling that English Channel was a private purchase?
    edited October 2012
    The results are in from Day 1: 293 sold $ 7,230,200 Avg. 24,676 Not sold 76 Median 13,000

Day 2: 437 El Corredor Shining Victory Victory Gallop KY-F
    467 Freud Six Zeros Hold For Gold NY-F
    476. City Zip Smokin' Greida Smoke Glacken KY-C
    557 Stormy Atlantic Talkin Indian Indian Charlie NY-F
    edited October 2012
    We went down in flames at 50,000 on HIP 476. He went for 85K. He has us looking at three for Weds. If not the November Sale or wait until next year.
    Time for some Oban 14 and a Rocky Patel 50 Robusto.
    edited October 2012
    Last at bat.

HIP 944- City Zip-Cozy Love-Cozzene-C-KY
    HIP 1053-Freud-Exclusive Print-Mazel Trick-C-NY
    HIP 1130-Giacomo-Glengarra-Arch-C-Ontario

The one thing I've learned this week is patience, we are thinking about heading to Keeneland on either Friday or Saturday pending the weather. Supposed to go from 78 to 48.
    edited October 2012
    Our partnership are proud new "parents" we did get HIP 1053- in a private purchase deal. We paid 35K for him. Now he's off to Another Episode Farm in Ocala to go to "school"
    The quest for a name now begins.

Time for a Opus X!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    CigarShop wrote: »
    Our partnership are proud new "parents" we did get HIP 1053- in a private purchase deal. We paid 35K for him. Now he's off to Another Episode Farm in Ocala to go to "school"

Time for a Opus X!

Congrats. Hope it's a monster!

Here's a few

Freudian Pimp
    Exclusive IQ
    TwelveTwentyTwo
    edited October 2012
    Congratulations!!

Looks like you got exactly what you wanted---a NY Bred who may take to the weeds?

Best of luck with him!!! Keep us up to date on his progress.

Freudian Slip Prints
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Congratulations!!

Looks like you got exactly what you wanted---a NY Bred who may take to the weeds?

Best of luck with him!!! Keep us up to date on his progress.

Freudian Slip Prints

Freudian Slippers would be a great filly.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    CigarShop wrote: »

Time for a Opus X!

Nice Job and Congrats!!