Trailblazer

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
FB already brought attention to this one, so thank him, but these are great facts from the stable notes:

There was always meant to be an international trip for Trailblazer in 2012.
Earlier this year, Trailblazer, based in Japan with trainer Yasutoshi Ikee, was considered a candidate for the $5 million Sheema Classic in Dubai in March until he bled in a workout in Japan in the weeks before the race.

That led to a change in plan, and Saturday’s $3 million Breeders’ Cup Turf at Santa Anita became a late-season goal. The 5-year-old autumn campaign has been built around the BC Turf over 1 1/2 miles.

In his American debut on Oct. 6 at Santa Anita, Trailblazer, 5, was a fast-closing second in the Grade 2 Arroyo Seco Mile on turf, the shortest race in his career of 21 starts. He will start in the BC Turf as an intriguing longshot, a horse in search of his first Grade 1 but one with good form in top races in the past.

Last November, Trailblazer was fourth in the $6.1 million Japan Cup, finishing 2 1/2 lengths behind the popular mare Buena Vista.

“He showed a tough race in the Japan Cup last year,” Ikee said through an interpreter on Monday. “If he can run as competitive as he did that time, we have a good chance for the Breeders’ Cup.”

Trailblazer arrived in California in September, with the idea of allowing him to acclimate before the Arroyo Seco Mile.

In California, Trailblazer has been allowed to race and train on the anti-bleeder medication Lasix.

“We didn’t want to do the fast gallops in Japan,” Ikee said. “We can’t work on Lasix there. This is the reason we brought him early.”

Owned by Koji Maeda, Trailblazer drew post 12 in the BC Turf and will be ridden by Yutaka Take. Ikee knows that Trailblazer must beat the American star Point of Entry and top European contenders such as Shareta and St Nicholas Abbey, the defending champion.

“We have to respect those three,” he said. “The form is very tough and they are the main danger.”

A Japanese-trained horse has never won a Breeders’ Cup race in the 28-year history of the event.

Since 1996, there have been occasional runners from the Far East, with a fourth-place finish by Red Desire in the 2010 Filly and Mare Turf the best result. Not many have proven to be competitive.

“This is the ultimate goal for Trailblazer,” Ikee said. “If he wins it’s a historical win for the Japanese horse industry. We are excited about it.”

- Steve Andersen

Look, this fucker was flying last out and figures to be way more fit. Huge shot. I hate the fact his jockey is Yutaka Take, who is just plain bad.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Great post, Dirty!

Right now I have this as a four(4) horse race, with Point Of Entry and two (2) euros and the Ninja?

The Fugue is coming into this race on the upswing, and word is that owner, Sir Andrew Lloyd-Webber, has been visiting friends in L.A. for a few days and that John Godsen has pointed to this race for several months. Shareta is a big time Euro who you just have to use. Trailblazer, the Ninja, figures to benefit from Lasix and even though the jock is a little less polished than John velasquez, the Ninja may be there anyway? No one, and I mean no one, can remember when Shug has been this excited over his entry, Point Of entry!

Can't play em all! You make the call!!!!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    In fact, I refuse to acknowledge the horse unless you call him the Ninja.
    edited October 2012
    Here's the Ninja last out (#2).

Obviously shows speed on turf at Santa Anita - YouTube

Keep in mind (1) The connections didn't want to win (2) He wasn't fit (3) The one mile distance was 3/8 shorter than he had EVER been (at least on the page)

Going back to 1 and 1/2 and having some fitness? Why not.
    edited October 2012
    Have to agree---as Warren Oates said in the classic Wild Bunch---"WHY NOT"

I hoped to have had the card done by now but I'm swamped at the office, and Thursday I'm headin over to T-Town with some of my old musician buds to backstage pass to see Joe Bonamassa.

Sure hope FB is going to share his thoughts with us bootstrappers!
    edited October 2012
    Now I was curious who rode him @ SA (because it looked like he found a little traffic in a 5 horse field, lol), because Yutaka Take went home after Del Mar. Well I looked up the chart and stable notes - apparently Yutaka stayed around for the ride last time (in a clear prep).

He had this to say after (as if we haven't hit this over the head enough)

“The race went okay," Take said of Trailblazer's performance. "The distance was too short but it was a good race to set up for the next one.”

One final note - Obviously (the horse) wasn't slowing down on the lead as they came after him last time. He went the final 1/8 in 11.45, making the Ninja look even stronger.
    edited October 2012
    Don't know what I was thinking last night?

The Fugue goes in F & M Turf, against the likes of Ridasiyna, Marketing Mix, Zagora, and In Lingerie. Could be the toughest race of the day? Wide Open!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Have to agree---as Warren Oates said in the classic Wild Bunch---"WHY NOT"

I hoped to have had the card done by now but I'm swamped at the office, and Thursday I'm headin over to T-Town with some of my old musician buds to backstage pass to see Joe Bonamassa.

Sure hope FB is going to share his thoughts with us bootstrappers!

JG, When you see Joe B you tell him my ass is hard at it for his street team crew putting out flyer cards for his show my way in December at Biloxi Coliseum. I love Joe B, IMO is the best guitar player at this time. His vocals have come along way as well. I love his CD with Beth Heart as her vocals and his playing is one fine listen. Just watched his latest Blu-Ray and was top notch as well. By the way been a tough week for me as I'm fighting pink eye and I'm in process of finishing my Friday card today and will have Saturday complete by tomorrow or early Friday afternoon. You will get the PDF file in your inbox!!!!! Should have all my final reports from my Euro contact by today or no latter than tomorrow. He wants to see them off the plance and how they gallop over the tract at SA.
  • LordOrionLordOrion Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    thanks everyone for posting some awesome tips

Im going to breeders cup 1st time ever and so excited and looking forward to a wonderful day

Anyone have any good tips for superfectas??
  • UnicornUnicorn Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    All I know about superfectas, is you better box them...
    edited October 2012
    LordOrion wrote: »
    thanks everyone for posting some awesome tips

Im going to breeders cup 1st time ever and so excited and looking forward to a wonderful day

Anyone have any good tips for superfectas??

Don't box, key.

But honestly, we're usually trying to just find the winner here. That's tough enough.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    JG, I played a horse named twirl last weekend at belmont in the turf stake who was coming out the same form lines as the fugue. They ran against was and sirrocco strike and twirl didnt bother picking up her feet so I dont know if the racing season was to hard on them or not so it might be a layoff for me..
    edited October 2012
    rayphil wrote: »
    JG, I played a horse named twirl last weekend at belmont in the turf stake who was coming out the same form lines as the fugue. They ran against was and sirrocco strike and twirl didnt bother picking up her feet so I dont know if the racing season was to hard on them or not so it might be a layoff for me..

To give you a heads up on The Fuge, there are not fitness issues at all. She has been galloping like a BEAST since arriving at SA. One other note she is getting in the lightest ever in her racing career. Her post is strong as well. She is fresh off a 6 wk gap in races and has been pointed for this event all year long. Oh by the way lasix as well.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    FB, I was throwing her in there but I dont think she is at all a "free square" as they say..I agree with you that this on paper wise looks to be one of the more wide open BC that we have seen in a while...
    edited October 2012
    I have come across another bomb like Atigun in the Belmont for Saturday. If I can get this one to run like he/she is suppose I will cash a huge tri/super on Saturday. I'm jacked over these weekends races.
    edited November 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    To give you a heads up on The Fuge, there are not fitness issues at all. She has been galloping like a BEAST since arriving at SA. One other note she is getting in the lightest ever in her racing career. Her post is strong as well. She is fresh off a 6 wk gap in races and has been pointed for this event all year long. Oh by the way lasix as well.

PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!