Is it stupid to dump 200 truckloads of sand on a dirt track

SpectateSwSpectateSw Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
DESERT PARK SOCIETY CONTINUES MAJOR UPGRADES AT RACETRACK FACILITY | Osoyoos Times

My horseman friend is livid at what they did.

The area is completely surrounded by sand. The only desert in Canada. 200 loads of dirt would cost a small fortune here.

Just asking?

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Mixing sand into a racetrack surface is pretty standard from what i can tell (Santa Anita has done it several times). I think the only question would be how much is necessary and/or preferable.
  • SpectateSwSpectateSw Junior Member
    edited November 2012
    200 truckloads is:
    a strip 20 yards wide for 100 yards by 1 yard deep.
    Osoyoos is Canada's only desert. Nothing but sand.

Like I say a knowledgeable horseman was livid with the dumping.

What is the proper ration of dirt to sand.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I have sold and bought many loads of dirt in my years. If it is just straight sand they aren't paying much more than $1.50 - $2.50 per yard and the outsource drivng company usually charges around $3.00-$4.00 per yard to haul the material. Lets say for the highend they are paying $6.00 per yard to put in place. Most dump trucks are 16cy per haul. So that would be $96.00 per truck which would equal $19,200.00. Really not that expensive and it they are paying up to $8.00 to put in place it would only be $25,600.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I just read the article and it didn't cost them anything to put in place as they trucks were donated. There only cost was purchasing the sand from the pit.
  • SpectateSwSpectateSw Junior Member
    edited November 2012
    I asked the trucking company what the cost of dirt here is but didn't get a response. I'm sure it is way more than almost anywhere else. But anyway it was sand. Sand is everywhere here.

200 loads is a 20 yard strip for 100 yards and 3 feet deep. We'll go out in the next day or two and I'll shoot some video to show you what they did. They you can judge.

Thanks for the info.