Derby Types: A look ahead, and future wagers

2»

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    SHAKIN IT UP - for BAFFERT

I love the looks of this one, always have. Was absolutely flattered by Caballo de Ciello, and is only gonna get better longer IMO.
    edited January 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, he broke through the gate. Either way, should crush these types.

Did we clear this up? I missed the race, but It wasn't in the replay. Did it happen?
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    IM watching 3 horses as of now.

Violence
    Dewey Square
    Noble Tune
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Did we clear this up? I missed the race, but It wasn't in the replay. Did it happen?

He did, yes.
    edited January 2013
    He did, yes.

Let's give him one more then, but a 3 time maiden often becomes a 4 time maiden.
    edited January 2013
    Any new word on Palace Malice, John? Looking forward to seeing him back in action... :eating:
    edited January 2013
    Any new word on Palace Malice, John? Looking forward to seeing him back in action... :eating:

Last we heard he was teasing Shanghai Bobby @ Palm Meadows
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    See post on Shanghai Bobby overrated. Palace Malice will have an easy breeze Sunday morning and is entered on the 19th--Javier Castellano named to ride. Looking for a placed effort and then on to the Fountain Of Youth. Expectations very high--keeping our fingers crossed!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    See post on Shanghai Bobby overrated. Palace Malice will have an easy breeze Sunday morning and is entered on the 19th--Javier Castellano named to ride. Looking for a placed effort and then on to the Fountain Of Youth. Expectations very high--keeping our fingers crossed!

Good Luck JG with this young colt. Looking forward to seeing you all at Oaklawn in the spring.
    edited January 2013

Perfect, thanks (and good luck!)
    edited January 2013
    Nice effort by Demonic @ Santa Anita yesterday. He's currently unlisted, but i'm sure that'll change when the sheets are updated.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    DC---I made a few comments about the Sadler firster---under Dirty's thread about the Flores boys. I'm just not sure that Demonic will be a serious player against others with more experience? But, one to watch develop for sure!
    edited January 2013
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Mentor Cance worked like a beast today and they could barely pull him up on the gallop up per my source. Dirty see what Andy Harrington states. He is a big play next time out.

Andy is so fucking good. Very genuine too. Here's his pre-race comments on Demonic (if you were offered 300-1 you would snatch it up fast):

DEMONIC Jan 4 SA 6 1:12H M FT B+
    Monster move here breaking 1 back from Ubelongtomemissy let that one draw 6 clear at the 1/4 pole in 25.3, 48.0 then finished up with a tidal wave rush in 111.3 (23.3 LQ) (46.1 L4f), reaching big time late. Gorgeous mover feels like a Derby type.---Grade: B+

I guess you didn't have to be a genius when you saw him on the track, but still it was a huge race IMO for a strider like that.
    edited January 2013
    Another note here, Flashback was working in company (although looking slightly the best) with an unraced colt named Battled.

Battled got trounced again, but I suspect it was a very good group.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Andy is so fucking good. Very genuine too. Here's his pre-race comments on Demonic (if you were offered 300-1 you would snatch it up fast):

DEMONIC Jan 4 SA 6 1:12H M FT B+
    Monster move here breaking 1 back from Ubelongtomemissy let that one draw 6 clear at the 1/4 pole in 25.3, 48.0 then finished up with a tidal wave rush in 111.3 (23.3 LQ) (46.1 L4f), reaching big time late. Gorgeous mover feels like a Derby type.---Grade: B+

I guess you didn't have to be a genius when you saw him on the track, but still it was a huge race IMO for a strider like that.

This is what I had on him.

Demonic

Jan 4 SA h 1:12s 6f:~Demonic been working with four year old filly Ubelongtomemissy, a winner from Florida formerly trained by Bill White. Demonic ran her
    down and beat her by five or more. LQQKS READY.

Dec 28 SA h 1:12s 6f:~looked real good here and finished well with a decent workmate for Sadler. Showed good blend of speed and turn of foot. Acts like a
    good one so far and has the signature Sadler moves for success first out.

Dec 21 SA h 1:13.4s 6f:~First of a set of key six furlong drills for Sadler. Went even here and finished well in hand with workmate for John. KEY

Dec 14 SA h 59.6s 5f:~Demonic made short work of 3yo Ubelongtomemissy, who is a winner
    and has speed. Won this drill in hand. FQLLQW.
    edited January 2013
    Battled got trounced again, but I suspect it was a very good group.

Including Delmar Sunset, who got this pre-race notation (and then raced 3 wide all the way to miss a neck in the end)

DEL MAR SUNSET Jan 6 HOL 5 1:00.2H M FT B-
    Late runner worked willingly while asked out with Governor Charlie in 23.2, 47.3, 59.4. Steady type mover.---Grade: B-

I'm not sure Governor Charlie has raced yet, has he? Either way, Baffert will have 2 or 3 in there.
    edited January 2013
    fbwinners wrote: »
    This is what I had on him.

Demonic

Jan 4 SA h 1:12s 6f:~Demonic been working with four year old filly Ubelongtomemissy, a winner from Florida formerly trained by Bill White. Demonic ran her
    down and beat her by five or more. LQQKS READY.

Dec 28 SA h 1:12s 6f:~looked real good here and finished well with a decent workmate for Sadler. Showed good blend of speed and turn of foot. Acts like a
    good one so far and has the signature Sadler moves for success first out.

Dec 21 SA h 1:13.4s 6f:~First of a set of key six furlong drills for Sadler. Went even here and finished well in hand with workmate for John. KEY

Dec 14 SA h 59.6s 5f:~Demonic made short work of 3yo Ubelongtomemissy, who is a winner
    and has speed. Won this drill in hand. FQLLQW.

Great info, word was out at 6-5, right? Were you on anybody FB? I was on the Stevens nag and Demonic in the P5. Didn't matter.
    edited January 2013
    Felt like taking a small shot with the Pletcher maiden winner Verrazano, who was listed @ 80/1 at Lucky's on the curent sheet (he had been unlisted on the previous sheet). Went down there last night, after first checking at the Wynn to make sure there wasn't a better price available. Wynn had him listed @ 35/1, so said okay i'll take the 80/1. After getting down there and going up to the window, i'm quoted what price? You guessed it, 35/1. This copying has gotten ridiculous.

Btw, that's 35/1 to win the Kentucky Derby (at 1 1/4 miles, and still 3 months away) on a horse with ONE career start, sprinting vs. maidens. Even 80/1 was probably taking the worst of it, nice as the horse is (and i think he's pretty nice). Just frustrating, and of course i didn't take it. Screw that. Did throw a few bucks on Demonic @ 75/1 though. Saw a quote from Sadler the other day saying that he expects "big improvement" when the horses goes two turns. Let's hope.
    edited January 2013
    Shanghai Bobby was a play against today. I mean, getting out-worked by Palice Malice, being off, a female jockey, growing up, Pletcher's comments about aiming for the Preakness (WTF?), and opening at EVEN money (not 1/9), but I thought he still ran a hell of a race.

Another interesting note: The P3 Kauai Katie/ALL/2,4,7 (The three horses I thought could beat Bobby) had a $60 dollar winner in the second leg and only paid $260 for a buck. I had it many times, but the pool was big enough that I didn't affect it IMO. Curious if everybody else had the same idea?
    edited April 2013
    Including Delmar Sunset, who got this pre-race notation (and then raced 3 wide all the way to miss a neck in the end)

DEL MAR SUNSET Jan 6 HOL 5 1:00.2H M FT B-
    Late runner worked willingly while asked out with Governor Charlie in 23.2, 47.3, 59.4. Steady type mover.---Grade: B-

I'm not sure Governor Charlie has raced yet, has he? Either way, Baffert will have 2 or 3 in there.

LOL. Great post here. We all know about Governor Charlie now. Here's a tidbit from Flashback's latest work:

On Monday here at Santa Anita, Flashback had his final drill for the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby. Working alongside fellow Bob Baffert trainee Del Mar Sunset, Flashback was officially credited with a half-mile in 48 seconds, though he broke off at the 4 1/2-furlong pole and continued out well past the wire with Martin Garcia aboard. Regardless, Flashback was well within himself, but Del Mar Sunset, a maiden, surely held his own.

Tab this one for a monster effort at odds-on.

Guess I was right about how tough the race was. One of the top 5 key maiden races at the meet. Footbridge has been in two of the others, there's a sneaky horse coming from one of his races tomorrow.
    edited April 2013
    This weekend:

and the comebacking Power Broker, with Rafael Bejarano.

This come-backer gets tossed in deep company, but he's recently outworked the older Liaison, who not only is a good older horse, but won his comeback very well. Shot @ bigger price.
    edited April 2013
    LOL. Great post here. We all know about Governor Charlie now. Here's a tidbit from Flashback's latest work:

On Monday here at Santa Anita, Flashback had his final drill for the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby. Working alongside fellow Bob Baffert trainee Del Mar Sunset, Flashback was officially credited with a half-mile in 48 seconds, though he broke off at the 4 1/2-furlong pole and continued out well past the wire with Martin Garcia aboard. Regardless, Flashback was well within himself, but Del Mar Sunset, a maiden, surely held his own.

Tab this one for a monster effort at odds-on.

Guess I was right about how tough the race was. One of the top 5 key maiden races at the meet. Footbridge has been in two of the others, there's a sneaky horse coming from one of his races tomorrow.

The horse is Chief Havoc in the first. He's a short price, and only figures to take more action. Oh well, we tried.
    edited April 2013
    The horse is Chief Havoc in the first. He's a short price, and only figures to take more action. Oh well, we tried.

6/5 a gift. Expected 2/5.
    edited April 2013

God, if I was the connections, I would ship straight to Keeneland and try back in a week and a half. It was only a jog today.