Shanghai Bobby is Overrated?

jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Just read that in an article on another website. Some guy actually said Shanghai Bobby is overrated, because he apparently drifted during one of his five wins. When I read crap like that I just have to shake my head. In horse racing, money talks, and this horse is money.

Pletcher had a great year in 2012, and with horses like Shanghai Bobby, Violence, and others, it looks like 2013 is going to be even better for him. I used to ignore trainers for the most part in handicapping. Can't do that when there's a Pletcher horse in the race, though.

Comments

• CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Jjohns7777. The one thing about Mr. Pletcher and Mr. Baffert is because of their "name" status in the industry. They both have the most 2-YOs and they debut them during the "prime time" Summer meets, Saratoga and Delmar.

So almost every 2-YO MSW race has a Pletcher or Baffert runner in it. In fact at Saratoga Pletcher has 2 in a race.

Now about Bobby, he's talented for sure. But let's wait and see what he does with his first start as a 3-YO. The other advantages are with both above mentioned trainers is the racing secratary conviently "script" races for them.

Looking foward to our newly turned 3-YOs develop.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    It's damn tough for a two-year-old Champion to hold form into his 3yo year, but for right now Shanghai Bobby is fit as a fiddle!

Last two works at PMM have come in company with PALACE MALICE. On sunday, Jan 6, 2013, they went 5/8 in 1:00 04, continued on head's up in 1:13 and galloped out in 1:28, with Palace Malice up by 1/2 length in the gallop-out, while showing a little more enthusiasm. January 19 next race for Palace Malice with another work expected this coming Sunday.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    jjohns7777 wrote: »
    Just read that in an article on another website. Some guy actually said Shanghai Bobby is overrated, because he apparently drifted during one of his five wins. When I read crap like that I just have to shake my head. In horse racing, money talks, and this horse is money.

Pletcher had a great year in 2012, and with horses like Shanghai Bobby, Violence, and others, it looks like 2013 is going to be even better for him. I used to ignore trainers for the most part in handicapping. Can't do that when there's a Pletcher horse in the race, though.

Overrated versus who? His smashing of Goldencents is looking pretty good now, too.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Was there the day Palace Malice broke his maiden great looking horse hope he becomes a big derby contender
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Overrated, no.

Overrated as a Derby prospect, very probably. Good thing for us though...
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    The biggest knock right now on Shanghai Bobby is his pedigree from his dam's sire, Orientate, who, was basically a sprinter, and a damned good one. But the D/I and other factors that bloodstock folks look to might indicate that Bobby is a 1 1/16 type. Nothing wrong with that---lots of Jack to be won in those type races. However, those DI numbers have been dead wrong often. Moreover, those Coolmore gangsters know their horses and they saw something in Bobby that caused them to come on board with wallets open!

I had alot of time yesterday(cancelled OP card) to shoot the shit with some very astute horsemen, including the notorious Dash Goff, who has been in this game a long time. Dash pointed out that orientate comes from Dash's homebred NODOUBLE, and Cox's Ridge to boot, and those two could run all day! Waits to be seen, but until Bobby show distance limitations, it looks to me that he could be a major player in the classics?