Horse Racing Reality

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
My company is gonna develop and pitch several cheap horse racing shows to TVG (cheap fucks) ans HRTV (less interested). Maybe even sports networks, and HULU. I'm thinking some type of "Handicappping House" or a reality show that follows a Baffert type around the track and around his life. Or a backstretch type "Jockey Wives." I'm not planning to get rich, believe me, these networks have no advertising cash, but I would like to develop a show I'm a least interested in and take a shot this year.

Any ideas are welcome - and become my property. Just kidding, we can talk consulting later, but I"m curious what type of reality (if any) you, or your family would watch.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    My company is gonna develop and pitch several cheap horse racing shows to TVG (cheap fucks) ans HRTV (less interested). Maybe even sports networks, and HULU. I'm thinking some type of "Handicappping House" or a reality show that follows a Baffert type around the track and around his life. Or a backstretch type "Jockey Wives." I'm not planning to get rich, believe me, these networks have no advertising cash, but I would like to develop a show I'm a least interested in and take a shot this year.

Any ideas are welcome - and become my property. Just kidding, we can talk consulting later, but I"m curious what type of reality (if any) you, or your family would watch.

Celebrity Jockeying?
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Should do some type of reality show that involves either the Saratoga or Del Mar meet.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I very much enjoyed the documentary from a few years ago called "First Saturday in May", which followed around a handful of Kentucky Derby prospects throughout the spring (including Barbaro, as it turned out). Highly interesting and enjoyable.

Recommend you guys check it out, if you haven't seen it already.
    edited January 2013
    I very much enjoyed the documentary from a few years ago called "First Saturday in May", which followed around a handful of Kentucky Derby prospects throughout the spring (including Barbaro, as it turned out). Highly interesting and enjoyable.

Recommend you guys check it out, if you haven't seen it already.

What if it was shot like Hard Knocks? That would be amazing. This really is a great idea as a weekly one hour reality show on TVG or NBC Sports, or even the 101, culminating with the live finale (Derby). Too late this year, but could be worth pursuit in the future.

Too big of a budget for me, likely, without a pilot episode. And it's always trouble getting trade-outs and sponsors/ads for VICE type shows. Maybe some big-ego owner types (cough, Zayat), might bankroll something for staring rolls, and an EP credit. Shit, maybe, we'll toss in some McDonald's commercials from Pegram, and Porter Motors, too.
    edited January 2013
    Mike:
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    I like the idea of the First Saturday in May show.

Something else I would tune it to watch would be a training-based show. I'd love to watch the horses working and listen to the guys at the track talking about how each horse is doing. If the show were to travel from track to track showing glimpses of the best horses at each track, that would be even better. I'm learning that condition is huge in handicapping (much more than speed ratings) and a show like that would really help me.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    jjohns7777 wrote: »
    I like the idea of the First Saturday in May show.

Something else I would tune it to watch would be a training-based show. I'd love to watch the horses working and listen to the guys at the track talking about how each horse is doing. If the show were to travel from track to track showing glimpses of the best horses at each track, that would be even better. I'm learning that condition is huge in handicapping (much more than speed ratings) and a show like that would really help me.

You are correct in the condition part of handicapping. Speed ratings are a far gone conclusion a the top of handicapping races these days. Condition, trainer patterns and connection info is far more superior than speed ratings these days. When you see a horse string together more than 3 races first time in his career you know that the horse is probably the soundest he has ever been throughout his racing career.