Ramon Dominguez Fractured Skull

CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
edited June 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
As you all know yesterday Ramon Dominguez went down and is still hospitalized with a fractured skull. Ramon's agent said the next 24-48 hours "can be critical". There is no timetable on when he will be released from the Hospital.

I do wish him a full recovery.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    CigarShop wrote: »
    As you all know yesterday Ramon Dominguez went down and is still hospitalized with a fractured skull. Ramon's agent said the next 24-48 hours "can be critical". There is no timetable on when he will be released from the Hospital.

I do wish him a full recovery.

I heard a very sick rumor from a well connected source that Ramon may never ride again. Makes me sick, he's a class act in a field of mostly drug addicted, angry low-lifes. Praying this isn't true at all.
    edited January 2013
    This from the updated DRF article:

Ramon Dominguez, who continues to progress in his recovery from a slightly displaced skull fracture at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan, was transferred Thursday from the neurological intensive care onit to a medical step-down unit.

“The step-down unit is an intermediate location between the ICU and a regular, inpatient room,” said his wife, Sharon Dominguez, in a press release issued by the New York Racing Association on Saturday afternoon.

“Ramon’s doctors say he is recovering well, and we’re beginning to discuss his rehab options.”

Currently, there is no timetable for Dominguez’s release, and doctors have prohibited him from having visitors.

“We’re so appreciative of everyone’s support, thoughts and prayers,” Sharon Dominguez said. “Many people have also given generously in Ramon’s name to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund, which is a cause he has always been passionate about. Those vital donations provide financial assistance to permanently disabled riders, and we would encourage anyone who wishes to show support for Ramon to donate at www.pdjf.org.”

Dominguez was injured when his mount, Convocation, clipped heels nearing the quarter pole of the seventh race at Aqueduct on Friday, Jan. 18. He was unseated and appeared to be struck by a trailing horse. On Tuesday, he was moved from Jamaica Medical Center Hospital in Queens, N.Y. to New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan.

The leading rider in New York the past four years, Dominguez was honored with his third straight Eclipse Award after winning 341 races and a record $25,582,252 in 2012.

That's not normal. Scary situation we're looking at.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    We all need to pray for Ramon and his family. As I have twetted and stated many times. We just don't realize how lucky we are for our healt each and everyday we wake up and can roll.
    edited January 2013
    fbwinners wrote: »
    We all need to pray for Ramon and his family. As I have twetted and stated many times. We just don't realize how lucky we are for our healt each and everyday we wake up and can roll.

Keep praying. Such a horrible situation, and honestly God did it to the wrong guy. Maybe he's ready to move on. Still, nobody can see him under hospital rules, but per Hovdey (DRF), his agent and jockey valet have seen him and it's not pretty. Why couldn't Rajiv get his instead.
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I heard a very sick rumor from a well connected source that Ramon may never ride again. Makes me sick, he's a class act in a field of mostly drug addicted, angry low-lifes. Praying this isn't true at all.

This is becoming more apparent. He might ride again, but it's been delayed again, and now it's confirmed "severe brain trauma." Wish this guy the best.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I Have him and his family on my prayer list. Those guys risk their lives on the daily, and I wish no ill will towards any jockey or driver. When I make my wager, I always pray for a safe journey for all. May God bless the hearers and doers of his word.
    edited June 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »

It's really sad. They must have tried everything, but it never looked good. I'm glad he is
    straight with money, and has a loving family.