Derby thoughts

2»

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    If you don't mind, I would be interested in knowing what you're clocker had to say about Palace Malice. All my info is coming from barn, and they do not usually sugar coat anything---but in this case they are glowing over Palace Malice current form.

I will email you or text you.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Undefeated Violence breezed five furlongs in 1:00.36 at Palm Meadows Training Center Sunday in preparation for a scheduled start in the $400,000 Besilu Stables Fountain of Youth Saturday at Gulfstream Park.

“Outstanding. I’m very, very pleased with his work. He galloped out strongly, came back well. He’s ready to go,” trainer Todd Pletcher said.

Exercise rider Norman Bush was aboard Violence, who worked head and head in company with Palace Malice, who was also timed in 1:00.36, the fastest clocking of 40 recorded at the distance.

Violence has won all three of his career starts, including stakes victories in the Nashua (G2) at Aqueduct and the CashCall Futurity (G1) at Hollywood Park.

“Everything looks good,” Pletcher said.

Shanghai Bobby, who finished second in the Holy Bull (G3) at Gulfstream on Jan. 26 in his 3-year-old debut, breezed a half-mile in 49.73 in preparation for the $1 million Besilu Stables Florida Derby (G1) on March 30.

“It was his first work back, a nice easy half,” Pletcher said. “I though he worked great. His energy level is good.

Verrazano, who opened his career with a pair of impressive victories at Gulfstream by a combined 24 lengths, breezed a half-mile in 48.05 seconds.

“He was awesome this morning,” said Pletcher, who has scheduled Verrazano to race next in the Tampa Bay Derby (G3) on March 9. “

Dreaming of Julia, who is scheduled to make her 3-year-old debut in Saturday’s $250,000 Davona Dale (G2) at Gulfstream, breezed 1:00.62 Sunday at Palm Meadows.

“She worked super. I’m really pleased with her, as well. She’s ready to go,” Pletcher said.

Dreaming of Julia began her career with a 10 ½-length maiden score and a 16 ¼-length allowance victory before capturing the Frizette (G1). She concluded her 2012 campaign with a third-place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1).

“She’s very straightforward. She’s always been a good work horse, one that enjoys her training on a daily basis. She puts a lot into everything she does,” Pletcher said. “Hopefully, we’ve done enough with her to have her ready off the bench, but she’s given us every indication that she’s ready to go
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Was just coming in to post about that....can't wait till next weekend!

Gulfstream Park: Fountain of Youth favorite Violence turns in five-furlong bullet | Daily Racing Form
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Shakin' It Up looked good for Baffert today going 7F - I've always liked that one, and I think he's improving, but fuck he just looks amazing in the track.

Midnight Lucky for Baffert is something else, too. Oaks winner? Long way until May.

Good luck, JG.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Midnight Lucky for Baffert is something else, too. Oaks winner?

I was thinking about that too. Think she might've gotten too late a start though.

By way of comparison, last year Mamma Kimbo debuted sprinting right around the same time (Feb. 18), then shipped to Oaklawn and won the Grade 2 Fantasy on April 11. Baffert then skipped the Oaks with her, and ran her instead in the Black Eyed Susan.

Did she suffer some kind of setback or anything prior to the Oaks? I can't remember.

Edit: Ahh, here we go...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69256/mamma-kimbo-out-of-oaks-sacristy-in