Beginners Area

sluggomagosluggomago Junior Member
edited February 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Hi I decided to take up handicapping as a hobby. I’m, learning to read a racing form. It’s already taken me a few hours to figure some of what on it. Thank you Google otherwise I wouldn’t have even attempted this. I have a friend at work that tell me that it’s good to know people that work at horse stables where the thoroughbred horse and jockeys hang out but, I’m far away from a track otherwise I’d look into that so I guess I’ll just hang around here and listen for a while.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Welcome. No, you don't need to hang out at racetrack horse stables to learn about handicapping. Plenty of sharp handicappers around here. Good luck in your endeavor.
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Good Luck and welcome to HORSE RACING TALK...w2w
  • two acrosstwo across Junior Member
    edited February 2013
    Hi Sluggomago -

Welcome. I am no expert but have had success following one or two tracks (for me, the NY tracks). You begin to learn about the jockies and trainers and you see horses develop their careers. Keeping a log of horses you like in a virtual stable is a good idea - equibase has one. They email you when your picks are racing. Take a look at the post by Farina titled Big A Saturday 2/23, for instance. Don't just follow someone's picks but read the post to pick up the language used by handicappers and see what criteria are studied. Add this knowledge to your own system and then place your bet. Hope this helps - its only my opinion.
  • rhgrahamrhgraham Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    the DRF has a lot of good reading.

PS welcome aboard