Violence off the KY Derby Trail

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited February 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
I just heard he was injured yesterday in the FOY. You heard it first at HRT

Comments

• Rick57Rick57 Junior Member
    edited February 2013
    Jay Privman‏@DRFPrivman

Violence suffered a fractured right front sesamoid in FOY. No surgery, but racing career in doubt, per Pletcher.
    FB - What's the word on Capo Bastone? Heard anything about next start, health, expectations? JG you might have a little insight...
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm hearing that Capo Bastone is coming to Oaklawn for the Rebel. Aron Wellman and the Eclipse/TAP crew said just because he won on a sealed track in in a slow time does not mean that he is slow.

Looks like Palace Malice will point to a return in the Louisiana Derby. Timing works out better, but nothing is off the books at this time. Javier Castellano is now available, but a lot depends on how Overanalyze runs Saturday in the Gotham. We may go back to Rosie, so I apologize for all the terrible things I said Saturday night!

Ark Derby is a real possibility, too. Problem is, by then you pretty much have to hit a home run, or you're out!
    Another 3rd by a length is a decent race, but no meaningful points or graded earnings if you are in a tie=breaker, which may very well come into play with the new system.
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    John, no need to apologize in the heat of the moment I can understand how you felt...however here are a few things to consider:

1) Rosie is third in monies earned in 2013
    2) Her and Bejarano are tied in win % at 27
    3) She has 61% of her mounts in the money more than JV, Bejarno etc)

4) there were three horses inside PM who had shown the ability to leave (and all did), once she saw that and the #1 horse leave also she probably decided not to gun PM and instead be in tier 2 or 3. Had she left not sure it would not have done more harm than good

5) PM had a very clean trip from what I saw, never had to check, was never pushed 3, 4, or 5 wide

6) if I was in your shoes here is what be troublesome to me...in the stretch PM had about 3 on the eventual winner who as we all know was 135-1...PM drifted out and nudged the winner which when a horse drifts outs means he is getting tired...had PM fired like Ive struck a nerve you would be sitting with 50 points...hopefully this raced helped PM for the next venue to get you and Dogwood a ticket to the big dance
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Trotman,

Points well taken---and after some reflection and thought, here is another point---when the winner came up on the outside of PM, it caught him by surprise and he changed over to his other lead, costing him a bit of momentum. Plus, he was a little green as well.

Have to think that he will benefit from this outing and be a little more seasoned going two-turns in next start---WE HOPE!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the Palace Malice update. I'm curious why Velazquez wasn't available to ride in the Risen Star though? He was commited to ride Orb for Shug McGaughey? Since when isn't he available for a promising young Pletcher colt? Seems strange...

Also, if the bottom line is trying to make the Derby (not saying it should be, btw), then i disagree about the timing of the La Derby being better. Seems like you're putting all your eggs in one basket there, because it'd be extremely tough to run back in the Ark Derby or Blue Grass two weeks later. Think you have to win the La Derby (possibly run second?), or you're out of options. Whereas, by going in the Rebel (after a reasonable 3-week break), you'd have 4 weeks to the Ark Derby.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Trotman wrote: »
    John, no need to apologize in the heat of the moment I can understand how you felt...however here are a few things to consider:

1) Rosie is third in monies earned in 2013
    2) Her and Bejarano are tied in win % at 27
    3) She has 61% of her mounts in the money more than JV, Bejarno etc)

4) there were three horses inside PM who had shown the ability to leave (and all did), once she saw that and the #1 horse leave also she probably decided not to gun PM and instead be in tier 2 or 3. Had she left not sure it would not have done more harm than good

5) PM had a very clean trip from what I saw, never had to check, was never pushed 3, 4, or 5 wide

6) if I was in your shoes here is what be troublesome to me...in the stretch PM had about 3 on the eventual winner who as we all know was 135-1...PM drifted out and nudged the winner which when a horse drifts outs means he is getting tired...had PM fired like Ive struck a nerve you would be sitting with 50 points...hopefully this raced helped PM for the next venue to get you and Dogwood a ticket to the big dance

Disagree 100% (Maybe 90%). And, luckily enough, you make the case for me in your points Trotman.

Having a higher in the money percentage than leading jocks, but only having the same win percentage as them means 1 thing: You're on the best stock, and you're NOT a good finisher. A high percentage of seconds and thirds when compared to wins means you are a weak jockey. It's a simple fact. This also explains the winner making up the ground - she simply cannot finish (that and the fact he was, and is, a tactical speed horse - who was asked to be a deep closer.)

She's a lot cuter than Bejarano, that's for sure. But, we all know one of the real jockeys would have won the race.