Rebel Stakes

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
I'm preaching to the choir (FB), but I spent time this weekend on the backside and picked up on some news from various asst. trainers. Carl Alsop is an asst to Dom Schittino and they have got Always In A Tiz sitting on a huge effort. He came out of the Southwest with a bad cough and a fever, which would have knocked most horses out completely, but this is one tough horse.

Connections putting all their eggs into Rebel basket, and Calvin comes on board and replaces Paco. Equipment change to blinkers on and they hope to have AIAT closer to the front and unleash his kick with Calvin navigating the best route. This "forgotten" horse will be overlooked at the windows with the likes of Super 99, Delhomme, and Capo Bastone. Moreover, Texas Bling will be expected to make the frontrunners pay for their early efforts. I'm hearing the ml will be around 8-1, which may be the best price we will get in a long time?

When the entries come out later this week, keep your eyes out for Grant Forrester barn, they have a couple ready to go!

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    You know I'm back on him one more try. I was told Calvin being real coy. Calvin will hurt price a little but he trip will be much better!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Whenever i read about something like that (came out of the race with a cough and a fever), i always take that to mean, what, they knew going in that the horse had a cough and a fever and let him run anyway? How can it just pop up immediately after the race?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Good point, DC. Reminds me of several years ago when Afleet Alex got Johnny V and ran up the track with a cough and fever. Next out he went back to Jeremy Rose and ran one of the best races ever run in the Ark Derby.

Capo Bastone will skip Rebel and shoot for Spiral on the poly at Turfway. Probably a good move, as Delhomme is the TAP runner who could give Super 99 all he wants. Oxbow put in a very good work and merits serious attention.

The 4 I'm using, before today's post draw, are:

1. Always In A Tiz
    2. Super Ninety-Nine
    3. Delhomme
    4. Oxbow

The weather in Hot Springs is beautiful and the warmer days will make the track much faster. Oaklawn is expecting around 35,000 for Saturday and the infield will be open. Dogwoods and redbuds starting to bloom and if you can get to OP, COME!
    edited March 2013
    I forgot to give out a big question on Den's Legacy. I've learned to never leave out a Baffert runner shipping into Oaklawn. I'd be curious to know what the Santa Anita clocker has to say about Den's Legacy. If anyone has Andy Harrington comments, post them!
    edited March 2013
    WTF!!!

just took entries and Always In A Tiz is NOT ENTERED?
    edited March 2013
    Trying to find out, maybe looking for a softer spot like Spiral or La. Derby in a couple weeks agasint you. Might of spiked a fever!!!! WHO KNOWS
    edited March 2013
    Oaklawn Park - Saturday, March 16, 2013 Race 10 - 5:48 PM First Half Late Daily Double / Exacta / 50 Cent Trifecta / 10 Cent Superfecta STAKES Rebel S. (Grade II)

Purse $600,000. Three Year Olds. By subscription of $300 which shall accompany the nomination, original nominators paying $3,000 to pass the entry box and $3,000 additional to start. Supplementary nominations may be made by the closing time of entries at a fee of $7,500 which qualifies to start with $600,000 Guaranteed of which 60% to the Owner of the winner plus 50 Kentucky Derby points, 20% to second, 10% to third, 5% to fourth, 3% to fifth and 2% to be divided equally among all other starters. WEIGHTS: 122 Lbs. Non-winners of $60,000 at a mile or over in 2013 allowed 3 Lbs.; $40,000 at a mile or over anytime 5 Lbs.; $25,000 at any distance 7 Lbs. (Maiden and Claiming races not considered.) In Allowance Stakes starting preference will be given to horses that have accumulated the highest earnings. Starters to be named through the entry box by the usual time of closing. The Owner of the winner to receive a trophy. Early Bird closing Friday, February 8, 2013 at $500 for The Southwest, The Rebel and The Arkansas Derby. Closed Friday, March 8, 2013 with 131 nominees. One And One Sixteenth Miles.
    PP Horse Virtual
    Stable A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer
    1 Carve (KY) 3/G L C S Nakatani 117 S M Asmussen
    2 Treasury Bill (KY) 3/C L J Talamo 115 R W Ellis
    3 Texas Bling (TX) 3/C L M C Berry 119 D Durham
    4 Delhomme (PA) 3/C L G K Gomez 115 T A Pletcher
    5 Hardrock Eleven (FL) 3/G L T J Thompson 115 D P Banks
    6 Den's Legacy (FL) 3/C L R Albarado 119 B Baffert
    7 Will Take Charge (KY) 3/C L J K Court 122 D W Lukas
    8 Stormy Holiday (KY) 3/C L D C Bell 115 M Robertson
    9 Title Contender (KY) 3/C L L S Quinonez 115 W M Catalano
    10 Oxbow (KY) 3/C L M E Smith 122 D W Lukas
    11 Super Ninety Nine (KY) 3/C L R Bejarano 122 B Baffert

A - Coupled Entries - Treasury Bill, Title Contender

Owners: 1 - Michael Langford ; 2 - Gary & Mary West ; 3 - Hall's Family Trust (Lewis A. Hall) ; 4 - WinStar Farm LLC and Twin Creeks Racing Stables, LLC ; 5 - Lazenby, Virginia B. and Farm D'Allie Racing Stables ; 6 - Westrock Stables LLC (Scott T. & Joe T. Ford) ; 7 - Willis D. Horton ; 8 - Jer-Mar Stables LLC (Jerome & Martha Myers) ; 9 - Gary & Mary West ; 10 - Calumet Farm (Brad Kelley) ; 11 - Tanma Corporation (Susan Chu)

Breeders: 1 - Claiborne Farm & Adele B. Dilschneider; 2 - Edward A. Seltzer & Beverly Anderson; 3 - Hall's Family Trust; 4 - William M. Backer; 5 - Farm III Enterprises & Off The HookPartners LLC; 6 - Gaye Swartz; 7 - Eaton; 8 - G. Watts Humphrey Jr.; 9 - Town & Country Farm, Corp; 10 - Colts Neck Stables LLC; 11 - Northwest Farms LLC
    Go to Race: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    well looks like some wrinkles have been made to the handicapping with the studs drawing outside posts! this sure is fun to look at.

ps- we are being invaded by california jocks haha
    edited March 2013
    this is what I know---Dom Schittino's fillie ran poorly in the Honeybee, and for whatever reason he packed up Always In A Tiz and the fillie and headed back to Florida late Monday. Rollie with horseman's relations said he thought Dom had alot of options going thru Florida or the Wood?
    edited March 2013
    Flash Forward was the Schettino fillie, and she faded to DFL in the Honeybee.

King, where you been?

I'm there every week, sittin with your buddy, "Bob's Burners"
    Call me on Friday, I'm coming with a couples thing and looking to get away! or come by---802 Long Island Drive. we're just hangin out on the lake and grilling on Friday night.
    edited March 2013
    well looks like some wrinkles have been made to the handicapping with the studs drawing outside posts! this sure is fun to look at.

ps- we are being invaded by california jocks haha

Outside is not the place to be!!!
    Grant Forrester horses both got hung wide in the post draw. Damn the luck!
    edited March 2013
    I forgot to give out a big question on Den's Legacy. I've learned to never leave out a Baffert runner shipping into Oaklawn. I'd be curious to know what the Santa Anita clocker has to say about Den's Legacy. If anyone has Andy Harrington comments, post them!

As you all probably know, Den's Legacy is owned by Joe Ford, of Alltel/Verizon fame, and this is one of the ones he spent big on to have one good enough to send to Baffert. Mr. Ford lives in arkansas(when he's not attending to his duties as Chairman of Augusta National) and I suspect he made the call for Baffert to bring Den's Legacy to Arkansas so he and his son, Scott, could throw a big party. Don't know if this means a damn thing, but I sure would like to hear what he's been doing in SoCal?
    edited March 2013
    He just worked in tandem with Super 99 and 99 dusted him like a dog. I was told by a clocker on site for the works that Super 99 looked tremendous and is coming into the Rebel better than the Southwest. This clocker told me he thinks 99 is the best 3yo baffert has. He stated this horse works for effortless it's scary like and has proven on the track in the evenings his past few as well. TAP's Delhomme is going to take a little money, but one thing I can tell you don't forget about Tresuary Bill for Ron Ellis this is a serious colt.
    edited March 2013
    On my way! Should be a great weekend of racing at the Spa of the South.

Super 99 is the horse to beat, but stranger things have happened? Treasury Bill will be in my plays, but probably underneath in exotics. I would not be shocked to see any of six horses win this big REBEL.

In the Azeri, the presence of My Miss Auerlia looms large. But you have to put something under her, and I'm hearing that Von Hemel is being coy on newbie Songs and Sonnets. That is my cold exacta play and adding Tiz Miss Sue and Don't tell Sophia for the short trifecta.

If I have any of my bankroll left in the nightcap, the Moquett horse is the play. We talked about this one earlier in some post?

After Julian got yanked off Baffert 3yo, look for him to put in a stellar ride in the race at the Stream on Centre Court.

I'll try to post any news tomorrow morning if I have time, but this is a busy two-days. I wish all my friends here on HRT could be here, Spring in the Spa is really special, and 40,000 tomorrow is likely. I need to go pack my dancing shoes, as I'll surely have a few spins with Zoe Cadman this weekend!
    edited March 2013
    The Pick-4 pool on Saturday will be huge!

I think you can single My Miss Aurelia and Gentlemens Bet, which allows you to go deep in the Rebel and the very competitive allowance. Don't get shut out! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
  • CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    As an outsider looking in at the Rebel.

Title Contender - this is only his 4th race on dirt, he has a race over the track and the trainer change to Catalano. He has had to nice works at the FG, one of them a bullet.

He will be my key. John enjoy yourself and I enjoy your insight.

Cigarshop
    edited March 2013
    CigarShop wrote: »

Title Contender - this is only his 4th race on dirt, he has a race over the track and the trainer change to Catalano. He has had to nice works at the FG, one of them a bullet.

Cigarshop

Not to get you off your horse, but I can tell you one thing for sure this is not the SPOT Catman wanted for Title Contender. This move has been made by the West's as he is a pure RABBIT for there BIG HORSE Treasury Bill. They want to soften up Super 99 as he won't get that lopping lead this time out. There is plenty of speed signed up for this race but it seems each year the speed holds over that CLAY surface. I would watch the track all day Saturday to see how many legit speed horses hold or if any come off the pace.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Super 99 stalks and wins off. The entry is somewhere on the board, hopefully with the #2 horse as well. I think Delhomme must have not had a good winter or he would have come back earlier. The Lukas horse might hang around for a piece though.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm with you on that FB, Tile Contender will be the Rabbit in this race trying to take some thing out of S99.... If S99 is the real deal we Be looking at a possible new track record...
    I'll be on his entry mate "Treasury Bill" should be coming home nicely on the strech out .

# 1 - 10 ex.box $20 Totaling $40.00
    Good Luck and May The Horse Be With You
    edited March 2013
    CigarShop wrote: »

Cigarshop

Here is a quote from the Catman on Title Contedner, it's exactly what I told you all earlier in the week. Not saying the horse cannot win but they are telling you why he is in the race!!!!

W. Catalano on Title Contender: “Mr. West..wanted...a fast pace. He didn't want Mr. Baffert ...in front by five or six lengths any more."
    edited March 2013
    Oaklawn - Race 10

#1 Treasury Bill (5/1 ml)

Ron Ellis trainee trainee ships in off a very sharp run in the 7-furlong San Vicente, a race from which War Academy stretched out to a resounding win yesterday. Pretty much the same deal here, as Treasury Bill is reputed as being more of a two-turn type, and was likely just using the San Vicente as a prep for this race. Also note the fact that he's part of an entry here with the front-running Title Contender, who may very well have been entered as a rabbit in this race, for the purpose of softening up the heavy favorite Super Ninety Nine. In fact, that's part of the reason for this play here, i think that Super 99 is going to be way over-valued coming off the huge 10-length win for Baffert (over a sloppy track), and he's drawn pretty tough here, way out on the extreme outside with a shortish run into the turn. There's also a good bit of speed to his inside, not only making things difficult for him heading into the first turn, but very likely producing a fast early pace that a horse like Treasury Bill can take advantage of late. Also bear in mind that Ron Ellis doesn't ship a horse out of town very often (almost never?), so he must think that he has a real shot in this one. I do too. Good value here on a pretty nice horse (and potential Kentucky Derby contender).

HRT record:

90 for 340 (26%)

$769.60 mutuels ($8.55 avg)
    edited March 2013
    Article from before Treasury Bill's last race.....confirmation that Ellis was just prepping him for the Rebel last time out

Treasury Bill seeks to build resume in Santa Anita stakes race - Los Angeles Times
  • CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    What a crow at Osklawn, so nice to see that. Will be great pools to bet into...

Good luck to you all...