Verrazano to the Wood Memorial

Comments

• CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    DC thanks for this update, but I've just got a feeling that Verrazano will end up like Uncle Mo.
    He's a nice horse, but not a classic type of horse.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2013
    At least Verrazano now has a win around two turns (unlike Uncle Mo at this point).

Personally, i think Verrazano looks like a beast right now. And many here probably remember, i wasn't on the Uncle Mo bandwagon that year (i don't think any of us were really, unless you count Draynay). Two totally different situations, i think.

Main difference is that Uncle Mo had some 2yo foundation, whereas Verrazano does not. That being said, i think Verrazano is a good bit farther along at this time of year than Uncle Mo was.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    At least Verrazano now has a win around two turns (unlike Uncle Mo at this point).

Personally, i think Verrazano looks like a beast right now. And many here probably remember, i wasn't on the Uncle Mo bandwagon that year (i don't think any of us were really, unless you count Draynay). Two totally different situations, i think.

Main difference is that Uncle Mo had some 2yo foundation, whereas Verrazano does not. That being said, i think Verrazano is a good bit farther along at this time of year than Uncle Mo was.

Lol, I think I'm the opposite because I'm secretly bitter @ El Padrino. If I had no wagers, I would say he certainly looks like a monster.
    edited March 2013
    Not sure what i was thinking when i posted that. Uncle Mo won around two turns in the BC Juvenile. I guess i was thinking strictly of his 3yo season.
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    IMHO this horse has run against no competition yet...being 1-5 and 2-5 means absolutlely nothing, except he has ran against ash cans...and if he is the favorite in the Derby how many have won the last 30 years,maybe a couple?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    He will have his hands full if they stay on course for the Wood. That is going to be a legit field. I wouldn't be suprised if someone of them defect to the Fla. Derby as Gulfstream is begging for entries.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Like Normandy Invasion in the wood
    edited March 2013
    By the way...since 1980 only 2 favorites have won the Derby...or 2/32...or 6.25%
    edited March 2013
    Trotman wrote: »
    IMHO this horse has run against no competition yet...being 1-5 and 2-5 means absolutlely nothing, except he has ran against ash cans...and if he is the favorite in the Derby how many have won the last 30 years,maybe a couple?

Take a look at the fractions from his 6-furlong maiden debut on January 1st, Then cpompare them to the fractions set by the multiple graded-stakes winning filly Kauai Katie (still unbeaten artound one turn, btw) later on that same day's card.

That should give you a good idea of the kind of animal that Verrazano really is. Not to mention, he then worked heads-up with the Breeders Cup winner Shanghai Bobby prior to his next race, which he won by a pole.

I have zero doubt about Verrazano's talent. None. If you want to argue about his potential distance limitations (based on what, i'm not sure), potential injury, or potential traffic problems in the Derby, then those are very valid points. Hard to fault what the animal has done on the track though.
    edited March 2013
    Not to mention he looked like a 4YO facing 2yo fillies based on just his size.
    edited March 2013
    DC...personally I could care less about times...to me they mean very little and usually a non factor for me when figuring out a race...Gulfstream has been a speed way most of the meet...I hope Ver does well and is the favorite...everyone has a 93% chance going against him to win in the Derby ....betting favorites does nothing for me
    edited March 2013
    Trotman wrote: »
    DC...personally I could care less about times...to me they mean very little and usually a non factor for me when figuring out a race...Gulfstream has been a speed way most of the meet...I hope Ver does well and is the favorite...everyone has a 93% chance going against him to win in the Derby ....betting favorites does nothing for me

I'm not sure if I should step in here, but I don't think DC would bet Verrazano, or even mentioned it. Additionally, the track bias doesn't matter when compared to races run over the SAME track. I think the point here is that he's good - not that we would bet him (in fact he'll fuck up the 24 bet).
    edited March 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Not to mention he looked like a 4YO facing 2yo fillies based on just his size.

DC, what's the name of the Pletcher colt that was working with Park City? He broke slow and put in a huge run for second on the turf. That one looks huge, too. If I'm not mistaken, Demonic has some size as well.

FB also has another nice colt, that has only crushed on turf, but has a monster stride.

War Academy
    looked really nice today @ SA (He has been working with Super 99, and once with our short priced Baffert filly Black Witch, who jogged yesterday.)
    edited March 2013
    I can't remember off the top of my head. I do believe he ran either the next day or the previous day (of Park City's sprint win).
    edited March 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    DC, what's the name of the Pletcher colt that was working with Park City? He broke slow and put in a huge run for second on the turf. That one looks huge, too. If I'm not mistaken, Demonic has some size as well.

FB also has another nice colt, that has only crushed on turf, but has a monster stride.

War Academy
    looked really nice today @ SA (He has been working with Super 99, and once with our short priced Baffert filly Black Witch, who jogged yesterday.)

Baffert states tonight War Academy will target a MAJOR prep next.
    edited March 2013
    I can't remember off the top of my head. I do believe he ran either the next day or the previous day (of Park City's sprint win).

Celebrator. He looks like a wild beast on the track.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Verrazano is the real deal.... Lets just hope he stays injury free and not wind up like a Horse That I loved for the Derby Last Year and got hurt in the Fl. Derby "Discreet Dancer". Now he's back and showing how good he is.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Forgot to mention about a sleeper horse I'll be watching and betting . His name is Tesseron he's by a filly name Cute Cognac out of Hennessy that I tryed to get 2 of my Nephews to buy interest in her with Parting Glass Stables...
    He on the Derby list with 5points he got in Canada.
    Got him a tightener on the grass but don't know where he would run next. I'm thinking The Florida Derby.
    Keep this Sleeper on your Watch List....
    edited March 2013
    Yesterday's big debut winner for Pletcher (Zaikov) was coming off a heads-up drill with Shanghai Bobby.