Bob Baffert "War Academy"

cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Bobby is smelling BLOOD.... War Academy is back on the trail and ha won impressively, doing his running late. Very slow quarters but finished in 1:43 2/5 the 1 1/16..
He's not on the Point List yet but 100pts will be coming soon.
Don't let this one get by you.

May The Horse Be With You

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Thought he looked pretty good running down Manando the other day, considering the soft pace that one got away with early. Of course, Manando hasn't been too good at hanging onto leads, so I think the jury is still out on this guy, at least for the time being. I know he had been training well heading into that race though, so that's definitely a positive sign. I'll be interested to see which race he turns up in (I'm guessing Santa Anita Derby?).
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Thought he looked pretty good running down Manando the other day, considering the soft pace that one got away with early. Of course, Manando hasn't been too good at hanging onto leads, so I think the jury is still out on this guy, at least for the time being. I know he had been training well heading into that race though, so that's definitely a positive sign. I'll be interested to see which race he turns up in (I'm guessing Santa Anita Derby?).

Going to the Ark Derby or Blue Grass per the Baffert barn.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Team 24 hoping he steps up.

Footbridge and Palace Malice look nice.

And FB's crush Rydilluc is a monster, too.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Team 24 hoping he steps up.

You can say that again.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I'll be at Oaklawn tomorrow(Wed), and I should know the scoop on the War Academy/Den's Legacy Baffert runners.

I think it all depends on where the owners of Den's Legacy spend Saturday afternoon. Tough gig---do you spend the afternoon watching you're horse run in the Arkansas Derby, or do you tend to you're duties as Chairman of Augusta National? Regardless of where Joe & Scott Ford spend Saturday, I'll not be leaving Den's Legacy out of my exotics, as his last work over SA surface was in real race horse time and typically Baffert's horses run back to their works.
    edited April 2013
    I'm trying to keep all of this in a proper perspective---but it ain't easy. I keep going back to what I heard Allen Jerkens say one day at Saratoga. In short, he said that in all big stakes races, GI and the like, that to be a winner the horse, at some point during the race, has to show real speed, don't matter a what juncture of the race it does it, but to win the horse has to show a burst of speed that will propel them into contention. When I think about his words, although they seem very simplistic, he is right, and all big time winners had that burst of speed/turn of hoof that put them in the race. Even Giacomo had that one uninterrupted burst, although I still don't believe it? With all the speed lining up Derby points in these prep races, I keep looking for a presser type that has that burst of speed late, and I'm not sure who that horse is yet? Any ideas?
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited April 2013
    Normandy Invasion sure looks like he is going to love the extra distance he gets at Churchill JG. I think he is my pick at the moment.
    edited April 2013
    I'm trying to keep all of this in a proper perspective---but it ain't easy. I keep going back to what I heard Allen Jerkens say one day at Saratoga. In short, he said that in all big stakes races, GI and the like, that to be a winner the horse, at some point during the race, has to show real speed, don't matter a what juncture of the race it does it, but to win the horse has to show a burst of speed that will propel them into contention. When I think about his words, although they seem very simplistic, he is right, and all big time winners had that burst of speed/turn of hoof that put them in the race. Even Giacomo had that one uninterrupted burst, although I still don't believe it? With all the speed lining up Derby points in these prep races, I keep looking for a presser type that has that burst of speed late, and I'm not sure who that horse is yet? Any ideas?

Orb?
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013

Oxbow ?
    edited April 2013
    Oxbow will most definitely be part of my ticket on saturday. hey Mike, I thought about you last week when Uncle Brent was entered @ Oaklawn in a $7,500 clm race. Talk about a disappointment. I bet owner Cella would ship him off to a Mexican slaughter house if he thought he woundn't get caught!
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Oxbow will most definitely be part of my ticket on saturday. hey Mike, I thought about you last week when Uncle Brent was entered @ Oaklawn in a $7,500 clm race. Talk about a disappointment. I bet owner Cella would ship him off to a Mexican slaughter house if he thought he woundn't get caught!

Thought that horse had some promise guess not!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I think governor Charlie might be able to sit the perfect trip...just don't know how good he is...
    edited April 2013
    Yeah he's 2-1. Let's get this valuable asset in the gate.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    War Academy will be on top on my tickets with 10-9-5-7

Palice Malice in a Box with #9 Tesseron my sleeper I had mentioned him in a post when he ran on the grass.

Good Luck And May The Horse Be With You......
    edited April 2013
    cinfront wrote: »
    Bobby is smelling BLOOD.... War Academy is back on the trail and ha won impressively, doing his running late. Very slow quarters but finished in 1:43 2/5 the 1 1/16..
    He's not on the Point List yet but 100pts will be coming soon.
    Don't let this one get by you.

May The Horse Be With You

Another Baffert horse die? Whoops, wrong drugs. Sucks for Team 24, but I'm still giddy over PM.