Flashback off Ky Derby Trail

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Just received text and Flashback off trail. Knee chip!!!!

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Well, I guess that opens another spot, because he had qualified for the Derby with his second-place finish. Considering the way he finished in his last pair though, I don't think he was a major threat in the Derby anyway.

PS - Whatever happened to the horse that ran second to Flashback in that maiden race, Mentor Cane? He ran back one time and then disappeared.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    No one has said much about it this year but think how many top 3yo have been on and off all year long over that highway strip. The one you mention above and Demonic, Hear the Ghost, and now Flashback. They have that surface souped up big time IMO. I have stayed away from Cali for a while now. I barely spot play with all those 5/6 horse fields. Have you noticed the trend that no one is speaking of now (Sadler and Baffert) will have a shedrow at Belmont!!!!! They see the writing on the wall as well.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Shirreffs to NY as well.
    edited April 2013
    Every listed horse out is great. And in regards to Flashback not having a shot - we would have said the same for Goldencents after Flashback bested him one back.

Vegas apparently has the points to get in the Derby Over/Under at 29.5

Correct me if that's wrong.
    edited April 2013
    One more note: Could the fillies be better? Could the point system fuck them?

IMO the Derby is for colts anyways, but I get the argument.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Every listed horse out is great. And in regards to Flashback not having a shot - we would have said the same for Goldencents after Flashback bested him one back.

Vegas apparently has the points to get in the Derby Over/Under at 29.5

Correct me if that's wrong.

I heard the Wynn was booking that number, yeah.

As for Goldencents, I don't think it was a huge shock that he was able to beat Flashback. I actually gave Goldencents out on my site (and here too, I think) in the San Felipe, and he wasn't beaten all that much by Flashback despite having the rougher time out it up front (in my opinion) by rushing up first to pass Salutos Amigos and then get stuck inside dueling with Flashback thereafter. Absolutely no reason he should've been 6/1 off that race while Flashback got bet down to even-money. There just wasn't that much difference between the two horses. Unfortunately, I had no real opinion on the race (other than that), so I passed. I did feel pretty stupid afterwards though; should've taken the obvious value.
    edited April 2013
    fbwinners wrote: »
    No one has said much about it this year but think how many top 3yo have been on and off all year long over that highway strip. The one you mention above and Demonic, Hear the Ghost, and now Flashback. They have that surface souped up big time IMO. I have stayed away from Cali for a while now. I barely spot play with all those 5/6 horse fields. Have you noticed the trend that no one is speaking of now (Sadler and Baffert) will have a shedrow at Belmont!!!!! They see the writing on the wall as well.

Here's a quote from Tiznow's trainer:

“I retired officially last week,” Robbins said. “I did it for numerous reasons. I think I’m getting out with some fond memories of the industry in California. I don’t see a lot more of them forthcoming

More of the same, although one could joke his current training record is the reason for this as well.