JJ picks NI over Rev for the Derby

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
I think he made the right choice. But go back and read what he stated about Rev after the La. Derby. This shit is getting comical these days.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I think he will regret that choice...NI just didn't look good to me..
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    rayphil wrote: »
    I think he will regret that choice...NI just didn't look good to me..

Loved the horse last Saturday but after the race thought the same thing. He didnt look that impressive I know it was a very slow pace and now with him becoming the wise guy pick for the derby not sure I can back him in the derby.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I don't get all the love for Normandy Invasion (and all the hate for Verrazano) all of a sudden. That horse had every chance to get past Verrazano in the Wood, and couldn't do it.

True that Verrazano had the benefit of a very soft pace, but what's not being mentioned is that Verrazano was coming off that minor foot injury, and was definitely not 100% cranked up to win trhe Wood (because he had already qualified for the Derby with his Tampa Bay win). Meanwhile, Normandy definitely WAS cranked up for the Wood, and despite (or because of) the very slow pace, he wsa right on Verrazano's hip turning for home and really had no excuse not to beat him there (considering what i just mentioned above).

Sure, i guess he finished well and looks as if he might enjoy the added distance in the Derby, but he's never shown that he's the better animal (quite the opposite, i think), and now everyone is leapfrogging him (and Orb, and Revolutiuonary, and Goldencents) over Verrazano on their Derby lists. Fine by me.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I don't get all the love for Normandy Invasion (and all the hate for Verrazano) all of a sudden. That horse had every chance to get past Verrazano in the Wood, and couldn't do it.

True that Verrazano had the benefit of a very soft pace, but what's not being mentioned is that Verrazano was coming off that minor foot injury, and was definitely not 100% cranked up to win trhe Wood (because he had already qualified for the Derby with his Tampa Bay win). Meanwhile, Normandy definitely WAS cranked up for the Wood, and despite (or because of) the very slow pace, he wsa right on Verrazano's hip turning for home and really had no excuse not to beat him there (considering what i just mentioned above).

Sure, i guess he finished well and looks as if he might enjoy the added distance in the Derby, but he's never shown that he's the better animal (quite the opposite, i think), and now everyone is leapfrogging him (and Orb, and Revolutiuonary, and Goldencents) over Verrazano on their Derby lists. Fine by me.

About the only thing I like about Normandy is that he's listed and has very little chance IMO. This is shaping up to be a really good Derby IMO.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I think he made the right choice. But go back and read what he stated about Rev after the La. Derby. This shit is getting comical these days.

"He proved a lot,'' Castellano said. "You don't see too many young horses do it the way he did it.''

All the more reason to toss the Form FB? LOL.