Side Effect of Points System

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited May 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Here's something major I'm starting to notice, if you don't reward early 2YO races and sprints, you end up with much less pace in the Derby. No crack sprinters or 2YO 7F G1 winners to lead the way.

That leaves tactical speed horses in a really nice spot IMO.

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Do you think anyone can steal it on the front end?
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Here's something major I'm starting to notice, if you don't reward early 2YO races and sprints, you end up with much less pace in the Derby. No crack sprinters or 2YO 7F G1 winners to lead the way.

Honestly, the point system has been making the Kentucky Derby so much easier to follow, and so much more competitive, and also a shorter more focused season from about late January until the first Saturday in May. Really a great idea, and prevents so many bad cheap speed nags from getting in. Also kinda creates a East vs. South vs. Southeast vs. West rivalry (although i guess money did that just as well.
  • risky101risky101 Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    How long has it been in place now, i thought it was always like this...how was it before?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    risky101 wrote: »
    How long has it been in place now, i thought it was always like this...how was it before?

It's in it's 3rd year, the field used to get in by graded stakes earnings!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    dirtyshirt wrote: »

It had a very positive impact on today's race.