Team 24--Good News Saturday CD works

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited May 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Here's Saturday's update:

Palace Malice worked a half mile this morning with Overanalyze, and our rider Mike Smith could not have been more delighted.

"Really great!" Mike said. "We went heads up in :47, and I was impressed with his gallop out. Great energy level. When I finally got him pulled up at the far turn, he then dragged me all the way back to the barn. Really tickled with his work."

Good report from this Hall of Fame rider who flew in from California a day early to accommodate the moved up work date (Saturday from Sunday) due to advancing weather.

Todd was delighted - using phrases like "super," "very impressive," couldn't have been any better."

He scoped clean afterwards and cooled out perfectly, according to Todd

Comments

• rhgrahamrhgraham Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    g/l
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Oh God, please let it happen.... :yes:

Good luck, John. We're all rooting for you big-time.
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Got to be a great week for ya! Anyone else going to derby? I'm still looking at tickets they are slowly dropping.

I will have a good chunk of my hard earned cash on PM. I'll be rooting loud!

All aboard the PM train to Louisville !!!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Here's Saturday's update:

Palace Malice worked a half mile this morning with Overanalyze, and our rider Mike Smith could not have been more delighted.

"Really great!" Mike said. "We went heads up in :47, and I was impressed with his gallop out. Great energy level. When I finally got him pulled up at the far turn, he then dragged me all the way back to the barn. Really tickled with his work."

Good report from this Hall of Fame rider who flew in from California a day early to accommodate the moved up work date (Saturday from Sunday) due to advancing weather.

Todd was delighted - using phrases like "super," "very impressive," couldn't have been any better."

He scoped clean afterwards and cooled out perfectly, according to Todd

Honestly, Fuck Yeah.
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    really john . bring them roses home
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    This horse is a contender No doubt. Pletcher was high on Overanalyzes work as well but plaice malice was better on the gallop out. They both look good. Wonder what odds pm will be. I'm thinking 10-1 range.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    10-1? I think PM will be no lower than 20-1. Not knocking the horse cause I sure hope he wins!!! But remember he is a maiden winner running against multiple grade 1 winners.
    edited April 2013
    Hope you're right. I'll key him at that price.
    edited April 2013
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    10-1? I think PM will be no lower than 20-1. Not knocking the horse cause I sure hope he wins!!! But remember he is a maiden winner running against multiple grade 1 winners.

Lol, maybe in the middle, I'm starting to hear about him like the "Wise Guy" horse.
    edited April 2013
    Here's Saturday's update:Mike Smith could not have been more delighted.

I'm gonna see if Mikey mentioned this horse to Bill. Him and PVAL, seem to give him very honest assessments. Maybe I should even have him ask, I'm so fucking curious.
    edited April 2013
    That was my thinking, that he was going to be the wise guy horse. But the more I look at his pps, the more I think Mike is probably closer to the truth. Maybe 17 or 18-1. The horse could have gotten the job done in the Risen Star and he zigzagged all over the stretch. He just missed in the Bluegrass, but again was caught late. His top Beyer is low 90s. Not that I'm a Beyer guy but that will help his odds. Anyway, I loved the work and I think he is one who is sitting on a race. His breeding is great too.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I'm really concerned about PM's ability to get the distance. He was tiring pretty badly at the end of the Blue Grass, I thought. He also failed to change leads, if I remember right. That ain't gonna help if he does it again. I also thought that he was flattening out a bit in the latter part of the Risen Star (though I did feel he had a legitimate excuse there).

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, as I'd like nothing better than to see him win. I just don't see it happening. I do expect that he'll run we'll up to a certain point (the furlong pole?), assuming he gets a decent trip. Maybe the blinkers will make a difference. It wouldn't be the first time I saw that happen. Fingers crossed.
    edited April 2013
    Well, in the Risen Star he had no excuse. He had a decent trip and was unprofessional in the stretch. But it was his first two-turn effort so I can give him a pass there. The next race was a horrible trip, no chance, non effort. Then the BG in which he tired late but still ran quite well. Plus KEE seemed to favor outside closers that day. You're right he may not want this trip. Curlin on top and Royal Anthem underneath, it won't be the breeding that does him in. The other thing is that Pletcher debuted him in a 7f race as a 3yo which suggests maybe Todd had the some idea that you did that he's more of a miler. :idoit:
    edited April 2013
    Oh, mean to mention that I like the jockey switch to Smith is a good one, as he needs a strong rider who will keep him on course. Hopefully Mikey doesn't take him 9-wide though. :huh:
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Daily Derby Notes

We are into our second week of updates on our Derby contender Palace Malice as we head to Churchill Downs with our eighth Derby runner!

Here's Monday's update from Cot Campbell, who is driving toward Louisville today with his wife Anne:

"Palace Malice came out of his sharp half mile work on Saturday in great order. He walked Sunday morning, jogged this morning and will do the same tomorrow. Our colt will gallop at 8:30 on Wednesday and Thursday mornings and slightly earlier Friday morning - 5:45!

"I certainly don't know if he'll win the Derby, but there's every indication that he's ready to run in it.

"I think it speaks volumes that Mike Smith came a day early from California to work him on Saturday, and he was really delighted with him. I think he's genuinely enthused about his shot in the race.

"Palace Malice and his workmate Overanalyze finished dead even in the work - Mike Smith was on our colt and Gary Stevens on Overanalyze. For some strange reason, the clockers had Overanalyze going faster. Both horses clocked the fastest time (:47) of 70 workers at that distance that morning.

Steve Haskin wrote a beautiful column on April 18 concerning Palace Malice's dam, Palace Rumor. There is tragedy, redemption and fate... and the knowledge that one simple decision by her trainer, Burt McBride, has led Palace Malice to the Kentucky Derby.

This from Cot:
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Here is a quick update from Wed Dogwood site. I'm off to a cocktail party at Darby Dan!

Daily Derby Notes

The clock is ticking and the Kentucky Derby will be here before we know it. The anticipation is crazy!!! Cot and Anne Campbell arrived in Louisville Tuesday afternoon and attended the Trainers Dinner last night. Here's this morning's update from Cot:

"Churchill Downs was teeming with humanity this morning, and of course very heavy with press representatives.

"Our guy, Palace Malice, marched out with the other four Pletcher Derby entrants, stood while bandages were put on, and then paraded to the race track at the 8:30 break which is designed to provide 30 minutes for Derby and Oaks runners only.

"Palace Malice had his new blinkers on (green with yellow trim) and galloped like a dream. His rider, Jake Nelson, who has been a major part of his progress, felt that he went the best he's ever gone. The blinkers, obviously, have been a great addition. Mike Smith, who will ride our colt on Saturday, observed the gallop as well and was impressed with what he saw.

"I asked Todd Pletcher an interesting question: we ran third with Impeachment and fourth with Limehouse in this race. How does this horse's pre-evaluation stack up against theirs? He said simply that he thought Palace Malice was a better horse.

"We'll go to the post position draw later this afternoon and then more of the same in the morning."

... and some earlier notes that are just to good to delete yet!

"Palace Malice has clearly bounced back big-time after his very speedy work on Saturday in which he worked a half mile in :47, along with his workmate Overanalyze. The latter was spotted several lengths when they went off... our colt waited on him and when they got head to head, they matched strides all through the stretch to record the fastest time of 70 works. Almost a full century of riding talent was on the two colts - Gary Stevens, 50 odd years old, and Mike Smith, 48, were on Overanalyze and Palace Malice, respectively.

"Speaking of energy leverl - very crucial at this point - Palace Malice felt so good on Sunday he had to be taken back to the track to jog (instead of walking in the shedrow). We will see him Wednesday and Thursday when he goes to the track at 8:30 and then he'll have his final gallop at 5:45 Friday morning, since they close the race track at 8:00 on Oaks Day. He will do a little something the morning of the Derby."

Lenny Shulman, features editor at The Blood-Horse, has a terrific story on the magazine's website today about Cot, Dogwood and - of course - Palace Malice: Dogwood's Campbell Reaches for the Gold Ring.

The post position draw for the Kentucky Derby will be shown live on the NBC Sports Network from 5 - 6 PM this evening.

The following press release was sent out on April 23:

When Palace Malice comes out of the starting gate on Saturday, May 4, he will represent the eighth Dogwood Derby runner in the history of the stable.

"It is an honor just to run in the Derby and we are pleased to have participated as much as we have," said Dogwood Stable President Cot Campbell. "It is interesting that in the last 40 years only four outfits have had more runner in the Kentucky Derby than our stable."

"We have run second (Summer Squall), third (Impeachment) and fourth (Limehouse). Admittedly, we have run several colts that were ill-suited. But you don't know that in the spring of a horse's three-year-old year, and it is worth trying," Campbell continued.

In the year 2000, Dogwood ran two horses - Trippi and Impeachment. Campbell recalled the moment this way: "One of my great thrills was to see the two Dogwood runners leading the post parade as they came onto the race track, while 140,000 people chimed in on My Old Kentucky Home. Never will we forget that moment. Impeachment ran third in the race. Trippi turned out to be one of the great sprinters of his generation, but did not place in the Derby."

Dogwood's Derby starters have been: Summer Squall - 1990; Wallenda - 1993; Smilin Singin Sam - 1994; Jack Flash - 1997; Trippi and Impeachment - 2000; and Limehouse - 2004.

Cot's BloodHorse.com Blogs

Since I’ve been around racing for awhile, I’ve had contact with some very interesting, colorful characters. I’ve agreed to write about a number of
    edited May 2013
    PP #10. That's ok. Just hope the 9 or 11 don't smack you coming out of the gate. You're in with a real shot. Good luck, John!:toast:
    edited May 2013
    SirBear wrote: »
    Well, in the Risen Star he had no excuse. He had a decent trip and was unprofessional in the stretch. But it was his first two-turn effort so I can give him a pass there. The next race was a horrible trip, no chance, non effort. Then the BG in which he tired late but still ran quite well. Plus KEE seemed to favor outside closers that day. You're right he may not want this trip. Curlin on top and Royal Anthem underneath, it won't be the breeding that does him in. The other thing is that Pletcher debuted him in a 7f race as a 3yo which suggests maybe Todd had the some idea that you did that he's more of a miler. :idoit:

Interesting. We'll see where he shows.