Kentucky Oaks

kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
This field deserves its own thread.

I think i have officially fallen in love with midnight lucky. can she beat dreaming of julia?

Comments

• JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited April 2013
    Not only do I think she can, I think she will. I will certainly have a solid WP wager on her. She ran a 59.18 5f workout today under a chokehold.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I like Close Hatches
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited April 2013
    I think Close Hatches is going to be dueling with Beholder for the lead, hopefully setting it up for ML.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I like Beholder ,but D.O.J will be in my tickets
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    This field deserves its own thread.

I think i have officially fallen in love with midnight lucky. can she beat dreaming of julia?

I'm sure we're all aware I love this filly, she been beating Baffert (who isn't gonna have a Derby horse?) colts every morning. I never saw a "cent" of the Sunland money I won, but we didn't expect it, and I almost felt guilty anyways.

In regards to the Oaks, it's an amazing race. DOJ will have to prove it at CD to me, but she's a monster regardless. I'm partial to Lucky too, because I ended up with $50 @ 16-1 as a novelty bet on her. We're in for a show regardless.
    edited April 2013
    Wait. There's a video of her drill over the Churchill Strip with Code West today. He's being ridden, and she swings around, and blasts by in a canter. Must watch. She'll be the second choice.

Midnight Lucky 428 - YouTube
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Wait. There's a video of her drill over the Churchill Strip with Code West today. He's being ridden, and she swings around, and blasts by in a canter. Must watch. She'll be the second choice.

Midnight Lucky 428 - YouTube

The gallop out 6 wide is unreal. Stay healthy baby.
    edited April 2013
    From Mike Welsch I believe:

Work of the day

Midnight Lucky (five furlongs in 59.04 seconds) will compete in the Oaks but she surely would have garnered plenty of consideration had she been running against the boys on Derby Day following what was arguably the most impressive workout from either an Oaks or Derby contender here this past week. Midnight Lucky, with exercise rider Dana Barnes up, broke off at the 4 1/2-furlong pole about four lengths behind Code West and cruised through an easy opening quarter in 24.42 and three-eighths in 36.36. Despite fanning about five or six paths wide leaving the turn, Midnight Lucky readily moved closer to her partner upon settling into the stretch before finally drawing even approaching the eighth pole while seemingly doing little more than galloping at that point. She then covered her final quarter in an eye-catching 22.67, which was all the more impressive considering she still appeared to be merely loping along past the wire and into the turn. Midnight Lucky held a half-length advantage over Code West when the pair completed their drill at the 7 ½-furlong marker and maintained that advantage during a strong gallop out, getting six furlongs in 1:11.92 before pulling up seven-eighths in 1:25.39. Although her final clocking may have been abetted by a fresh and fast racetrack, it was the visual perception and not the time which made Midnight Lucky’s performance this morning so impressive while re-enforcing the huge impression she made working here in very similar if not quite as spectacular fashion six days earlier.

I don't give a fuck if that was on the tarmac at LAX, she went 20 to 30 yards further, and was in a canter. I'm blown away right now.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I think she will be the favorite after this weeks apperance and work over the CH strip.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I'd be shocked if Dreaming of Julia is not favored. Also, Beholder is an easy toss. She needs the lead and will face pace pressure the likes of which she has never faced before. Midnight Lucky is super talented but short on seasoning and I think all the speed horses will compromise her. I don't see how anyone can play Close Hatches. Her final furlong in her last prep went in 14 seconds.

Looking for off the pace gals here. Dreaming of Julia can and will bounce, but she looks like the filly to beat for sure.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Very curious the price I'll get on Unlimited Budget.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I think my odds on beholder is going up and up..even though lucky looked amazing and doj just won by 20..what about pure fun..
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Rain could set in on Friday???

If so---do not leave ROSE TO GOLD out of your action!

Subject to change, but I will use a tri box with DOJ. RTG, UB, and the lone Baffert runner!

If RTG gets there first, it will be huge, if not it might pay $64.00????