Palace Malice.....what was that???

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
I figured he would show more speed with the blinkers, but what was with that suicide mission up front???

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    That was crazy!!!!! TAP 5 horses in the race and could only manage a 3rd with one of them. Congrats to Orb and everyone in here that had him. Not sure who will be able to beat this horse? The buzz is Will Take Charge!
  • okjac12okjac12 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    That was crazy, I guess Mike Smith reapeated last year move!
    edited May 2013
    Weird after watching the race again it was almost like he already knew he would be the front runner.
    Maybe that was the plan from the beginning.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Weird after watching the race again it was almost like he already knew he would be the front runner.
    Maybe that was the plan from the beginning.

You know what. It was way too fast, but honestly maybe we're a little attached. He put the horse in a spot to win (OK, maybe a little fast) and took a shot on a 25-1 horse. Right? JG probably got the thrill of a lifetime until they put up the 3/4 fraction.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I kind of agree with that. Everyone loves to rag on Mike Smith, but he wins a lot of big races because he isn't afraid to take a position on a race. I played Palace Malice pretty hard and got a sick feeling when they posted the half mile in 45.33. You would hope a big time jockey like him would have a better clock in his head, but you had Gary Stevens and John Velasquez a length off him and all three are probably hall-of-fame jockeys. I think the horses were probably a little too keyed up. I think maybe Smith was hoping the track was favoring speed and he just took a shot.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    You know what. It was way too fast, but honestly maybe we're a little attached. He put the horse in a spot to win (OK, maybe a little fast) and took a shot on a 25-1 horse. Right? JG probably got the thrill of a lifetime until they put up the 3/4 fraction.

It didn't take me 3/4 to know our jig was up. Pretty much knew that at the 1/2 call.

Some of the owners were quite critical of Mikey'e ride. My take on the race was much less critical.

Looking back, the blin/on move was a calculated risk, but one the trainers felt was important if PM was to put himself in a position to be forwardly placed. He had worn them for several moves and showed good focus and swift works.

When they came by the finish line the first time, I looked down and saw PM surging forward, and I thought "PERFECT, he will be somewhere up front" Little did I know that he would keep going and take the lead into the first turn and then keep going. About the time he opened up on the backstretch I knew we were done, but I knew for sure when I heard 1:09 for the 3/4!

I didn't talk to Mikey after the race, but I am informed that Mikey said he just caught a FLYER and there was nothing he could do except fight with him . I've been watching these horses race for many years, and I can say that I've rarely seen a horse get wrangled by the jock and have a happy ending. Yes, PM was in a position to win, but if he had it probably would have shattered Secretariat's record time, which we all know is not realistic.

PM will be given about 3 weeks turn-out time at a Kentucky farm and then re-join TAP in Saratoga, where he will begin preparations for a busy summer campaign which we hope includes appearances in the Haskell/Jim Dandy and maybe Travers?
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    It didn't take me 3/4 to know our jig was up. Pretty much knew that at the 1/2 call.

Some of the owners were quite critical of Mikey'e ride. My take on the race was much less critical.

Looking back, the blin/on move was a calculated risk, but one the trainers felt was important if PM was to put himself in a position to be forwardly placed. He had worn them for several moves and showed good focus and swift works.

When they came by the finish line the first time, I looked down and saw PM surging forward, and I thought "PERFECT, he will be somewhere up front" Little did I know that he would keep going and take the lead into the first turn and then keep going. About the time he opened up on the backstretch I knew we were done, but I knew for sure when I heard 1:09 for the 3/4!

I didn't talk to Mikey after the race, but I am informed that Mikey said he just caught a FLYER and there was nothing he could do except fight with him . I've been watching these horses race for many years, and I can say that I've rarely seen a horse get wrangled by the jock and have a happy ending. Yes, PM was in a position to win, but if he had it probably would have shattered Secretariat's record time, which we all know is not realistic.

PM will be given about 3 weeks turn-out time at a Kentucky farm and then re-join TAP in Saratoga, where he will begin preparations for a busy summer campaign which we hope includes appearances in the Haskell/Jim Dandy and maybe Travers?

Awesome news. I'm glad you made it, and he made it out safe. It really was a huge run, and youre right, what if he beat Secretariat's record? Looking forward to the SPA.
    edited May 2013
    Go to the Dandy. Already booked the trip for that weekend.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Congrats on making the race at all, John. Quite an accomplishment. Nice colt you have there, too.

PS - Has any thought been given yet to turning him back in distance and making him a sprinter? I know the big money is going long, but i was very impressed with this guy at the shorter distances last year. Might be a real threat in the top one-turn 3yo races like the King's Bishop, the Jerome, etc.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't know anything. PM made the trip back to NY yesterday and is now at Belmont, as opposed to time out on the farm. I strongly suspect that you will not see him in blinkers again any time soon, or Mike Smith in the irons! Looks like the plan is to give him about 6 weeks rest before his next race and throw him in a Belmont NW1X allowance at a distance of 1 1/16 or so. Depending on his form, the time should set him up for Jim Dandy, or Haskell, or maybe another NW1X, which he is still elgible for? TAP fell on his sword and took blame for bad instx to Mikey, as I understand Mikey was told to get him out early(he had fallen back recently and TAP wanted him to at least be in the 2nd tier, but not gunning and taking a flyer). Everyone noticed that he was on his toes coming onto the track and was eager to run. Not a good sign for a horse who was going to relax and run a big race!