CHRB Rule in Effect. Should be fun.

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited June 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
My buddy Bill Spawr had a horse claimed off him for 10k today. The horse won easy, and was claimed.

Now here's where it gets good - the horse was returned to Billy after the race, and told that the claim was voided because the horse came back lame (new CHRB rule, all subject to interpretation). First time this has happened.

Now is Mr Spawr (and the other co-owner, an attorney of all people to fuck with) happy? Was the interim owner relieved? Upset? Who determined the horse was "off"? Can you just win races and then stick a push-pin in a horses foot, so he comes back "lame?"

Furthermore, will his running lines say "CLAIMED FROM SO-AND-SO BY SO-AND-SO AND VOIDED"? Because with a red-flag like that he could race at ANY level (provided he is sound) and nobody would take him again.

IMO too many regulations, it's BUYER BEWARE. Lawyers getting involved is stupid and costly.

At least I've got the cat-bird seat for the action.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    And holy fucking shit if you just happened to watching the 5th @ Emerald on TV. The kid on the 6 horse fell out of the irons, and as he was falling off the horse he reached over and pushed himself back up on the horse using his hand on the horse outside him... Unreal.
    edited May 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    My buddy Bill Spawr had a horse claimed off him for 10k today. The horse won easy, and was claimed.

Now here's where it gets good - the horse was returned to Billy after the race, and told that the claim was voided because the horse came back lame (new CHRB rule, all subject to interpretation). First time this has happened.

Now is Mr Spawr (and the other co-owner, an attorney of all people to fuck with) happy? Was the interim owner relieved? Upset? Who determined the horse was "off"? Can you just win races and then stick a push-pin in a horses foot, so he comes back "lame?"

Furthermore, will his running lines say "CLAIMED FROM SO-AND-SO BY SO-AND-SO AND VOIDED"? Because with a red-flag like that he could race at ANY level (provided he is sound) and nobody would take him again.

IMO too many regulations, it's BUYER BEWARE. Lawyers getting involved is stupid and costly.

At least I've got the cat-bird seat for the action.

Here you go:

Hollywood Park: Trainer says horse at center of rescinded claim is fine | Daily Racing Form

LOL. He's fine. Claim him next time says the trainer.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Read the article..horse was favorite and won the race but was found to be not sound after he race...too many fingers are in that pot. If you have a horse run like a champ, why not pay a couple bills to the vet to find your horse not to be sound..too fishy to me.
    edited May 2013
    rayphil wrote: »
    Read the article..horse was favorite and won the race but was found to be not sound after he race...too many fingers are in that pot. If you have a horse run like a champ, why not pay a couple bills to the vet to find your horse not to be sound..too fishy to me.

This was only for 10k. The same rule applies to 100k claimers.
    edited May 2013
    I know...that's where some stupid shit is going to happen and once again horse racing will get the negative attention..placing way to much pressure on the state vet in my opinion..but hey what do I know.
    edited May 2013
    Major issue is how this is listed in the FORM.

From my understanding now, a voided claim costs CA in lost sales tax, too. Seems like they would take the $800 on the $10k and leave it alone.
    edited May 2013
    I know...that's where some stupid shit is going to happen and once again horse racing will get the negative attention..placing way to much pressure on the state vet in my opinion..but hey what do I know.

Apparently, the state vets are completely against it. For one, they realize the judgement involved. And two, they open themselves up to lawsuit (personally, despite it being a "state" ruling) if they rule a horse sound, and he comes up with a broken bone the next day.

It's a major issue, and as soon as it gets expensive (40k claimers, 80k claimers) the lawyers will be out in force.

Also, no change of possession occurs, so NO line will appear in the Racing Form. Everyone knows about this one, but in the future it might get hard to track.

Claiming is self-regulated. A game of risk. Trying to protect idiots has never worked.
    edited May 2013
    Happened today in the 3rd..dorf had a Firster that won and got claimed from Ron Ellis...Ron said in a interview that he was glad cause he horse wasn't walking well after the race...think it was for 50k..
    edited May 2013
    Happened today in the 3rd..dorf had a Firster that won and got claimed from Ron Ellis...Ron said in a interview that he was glad cause he horse wasn't walking well after the race...think it was for 50k..

I'll get details. This is the kind of $ that make it interesting. Horse won easy too, believe it was a Hollendorfer Cal-Bred.
    edited June 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I'll get details. This is the kind of $ that make it interesting. Horse won easy too, believe it was a Hollendorfer Cal-Bred.

Happened again for 40k. Include the Cat was returned to Peter Miller.