Met Mile selection for Memorial Day

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Belmont - Race 10

#7 Sahara Sky (6/1 ml)

Looking at kind of an old-school renewal of the Met Mile here, as this used to be about the toughest handicap race in the country some years back. Like the California invader Sahara Sky here, as he's been proven against the cream of the sprinting crop out West, then shipped in for the Grade 1 Carter last month and proved that he could handle a deeper surface when just missing in very fast time despite encountering some traffic trouble. Has yet to win at this one-mile distance, but the longer one-turn sprints are definitely right up his alley, and he's been finishing strong enough (and consistently so) that it seems unlikely an extra furlong would be too much for him. He also has an advantage in that the scorching fractions that the Met Mile tends to produce will not be out of the ordinary for him, in fact quite the contrary. He also seems to be in prime position to take advantage of any potential pace meltdown here, should one develop. Best of all, he seems very likely to be overlooked on the toteboard as the local Pletcher and Mott trainees will attract most of the attention with their last-out 115 Beyers. Very solid contender here at a very good price.

HRT record:

89 for 337 (26%)

$763.80 mutuels ($8.56 avg)

Comments

• wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    FLAT OUT
    613 boxes
    w2w
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I really think mark valeski will sit the best trip..I'll be playing Sahara sky and swagger jack under mark....lets go Rosie..
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Sky was flying...too close to call...pulling for u dc..
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Very nice call DC
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Sahara Sky wins by a nose @ $11.60 :toast:
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Sahara Sky wins by a nose @ $11.60 :toast:

Been busy in the office and missed your write up. I've always had this one pegged as a real extended distance one-turn REAL dirt horse, and was on him big today (Double from my 2 favorite girls, Rosie [joking] and Midnight Lucky).

To be fair, let's just say Joel won the race. Nobody else in the world gets that nose down. The runner up ran a HUGE race after carving out sub 45 fractions for a mile.